Good Photography Locations In Sydney

Rappie

Trying to avoid study :love:

We have a handful of friends interested in photography, although they don't know it yet I was hoping to organise some casual photography 'adventures' as a way to catch up.

Hoping for some suggestions. Ideally either accessible by public transport or with facilities for parking etc. Somewhere nice to eat or have a picnic would be good too.

OH and I have been to the Auburn Botanic Gardens, and at some point will go to Taronga Zoo but would like more ideas.

I've been browsing some photography club websites for ideas - Cockatoo Island looks like fun too.

On Blacktown Road (Sth Windsor) - between The Driftway & Richmond Golf course there is a forest of tall trees on the left hand side of the road. The trees are planted in rows. It must be some sort of tree plantation or something. Whenever I drive past there I always think it would be a great photography spot. The lines & angles would be fun to play with.

What about Rookwood Necropolis? I would like to visit a cemetery, this one is closer and seems 'friendlier' - by this I mean that their website encourages people to visit, learn about history etc, they even have open days!

I just Googled Waverly Cemetery and came across the debate over whether you have to pay to take photos in a public place. It may not even have an impact on an excursion, but Rookwood is a heck of a lot closer :love:

Edited by Rappie

What about Rookwood Necropolis? I would like to visit a cemetery, this one is closer and seems 'friendlier' - by this I mean that their website encourages people to visit, learn about history etc, they even have open days!

I just Googled Waverly Cemetery and came across the debate over whether you have to pay to take photos in a public place. It may not even have an impact on an excursion, but Rookwood is a heck of a lot closer :p

Rookwood is definitely much bigger, so I am sure there are areas you can find that will be very interesting.

From memory there are large expanses of 'meh' but there are also big crypts and interesting tombs

We did a historical tour of Rookwood years ago. it was really interested! You can learn a lot about the times people lived in by the graves. Also there are plague victims buried under the roads with a caveat that they aren't to be disturbed for 200 years --- woooooOooOo spooky! :p

The best time to take graveyard photos is at night... *grin*... When I was young, me and a friend used to wander the streets around Naremburn and Crows Nest - there was a nice little old cemetery there that we took some cool photos in...

My mum got some awesome photos on her mobile phone at the old quarantine station at north head - so that is definitely on my list...

There are some nice little churches around Luddenham and Bringelly and Rossmore area...

T.