Itchyness - Need Advice

B-Q

When my dog started to itch, the vet suggested a dandruff shampoo (Nizoral - strong and expensive type) -- she said to mix the shampoo in a little water and liberally apply to my dog's feet (that's where she itched the most) 2x a week. That's what I did, and it worked!

You may also want to check these articles -> http://www.goldenretrievertrainingonline.c...iever-allergies

-> http://www.goldenretrievertrainingonline.c...n-and-allergies

Good luck!!!

Presumably it was then rinsed off? I might try that on one of my girls. Sounds good

Oh, and it can only take one flea, so you wouldnt see any evidence of fleas

Nizoral is an antifungal treatment, so it will only be effective for fungal infections.

Hmm, I might try that for my dog with food allergies.

Why would you want to try an anti-fungal treatment when the problem relates to food allergy :laugh: .

Don't some allergies cause a yeast infection? A anti fungal might help that.

Ah yeah. Sorry - momentary lapse :bolt: . Silly me.

Calendula Tea treats fungal infections (including Tinea) as well.

Edited by Erny

Yes, she gets yeast infections, mainly in her feet and ears, not that I would use Nizoral in her ears lol, but it may help her feet, and a bath in it may help her all over itches. I usually control it by diet, but she does need help every now and then. I have been using Malaseb and it helps a bit, but its worth giving something else a try. I also use Aloveen Conditioner on the itchy spots, including inside the pads of her feet with good results. (no rinsing).

Would still be interested to know whether the Nizoral is rinsed off after direct application mixed with a little water (not bathing), as the Aloveen Conditioner isnt rinsed off.

Don't some allergies cause a yeast infection? A anti fungal might help that.

Ah yeah. Sorry - momentary lapse :thumbsup: . Silly me.

Calendula Tea treats fungal infections (including Tinea) as well.

I will give the Calendula Tea a try. I have a Hydrobath, so might use it in that, then I can get all over to the skin. :rasberry:

I would never have either of these two dogs treated with prednizone or any type of steroid, and I would advise you not to either. I prefer to manage their problems and I usually get good results.

Some dogs have allergies so bad that they need Prednisolone for short periods of time and sometimes permanently, my dogs life is sometimes a misery because of his allergies and without using some form of cortisone he would have probably been in a lot more discomfort to the point where I would rather put him to sleep then see him suffer like that.

Agree, my dog suffered terribly with his allergy and I think it's a bit ignorant to think that all allergies can be managed effectively in a short time frame without steroids. My boy pretty much itched 24 hours a day even with "management" including Aloveen baths, keeping him off grass, antihistamines, etc. He didn't sleep at night, he had an Elizabethan collar on for weeks straight, he had weeping hotspots. Sorry, but cortisone was a lifesaver for us so that he could actually act like a somewhat normal dog for a little while.

Some dogs have allergies so bad that they need Prednisolone for short periods of time and sometimes permanently, my dogs life is sometimes a misery because of his allergies and without using some form of cortisone he would have probably been in a lot more discomfort to the point where I would rather put him to sleep then see him suffer like that.

We're the same. It's a horrible affliction for any dog to have especially when there is no cure, only management - some dogs are better off than others....

I would never have either of these two dogs treated with prednizone or any type of steroid, and I would advise you not to either. I prefer to manage their problems and I usually get good results.

Agree, my dog suffered terribly with his allergy and I think it's a bit ignorant to think that all allergies can be managed effectively in a short time frame without steroids. My boy pretty much itched 24 hours a day even with "management" including Aloveen baths, keeping him off grass, antihistamines, etc. He didn't sleep at night, he had an Elizabethan collar on for weeks straight, he had weeping hotspots. Sorry, but cortisone was a lifesaver for us so that he could actually act like a somewhat normal dog for a little while.

I don't think some people understand that in some dogs the allergies are hell and in others the allergies are minor - there's always people here who thing that what worked for their dog should work for others and just because they've been able to keep their dog off Cortisone others should be able to - mind you I've read some very sad stories on threads like this from owners who refuse to use Cortisone whilst their dog suffers.

I'd rather my dog have a shorter happy life span than a horrible misserable one.

Although there are many dogs that have been on Cortisone all their lives and lived normal life spans, one just hopes that you can find the most minimal dose to keep the dog on that isn't immune suppressant.

I don't think some people understand that in some dogs the allergies are hell and in others the allergies are minor - there's always people here who thing that what worked for their dog should work for others and just because they've been able to keep their dog off Cortisone others should be able to - mind you I've read some very sad stories on threads like this from owners who refuse to use Cortisone whilst their dog suffers.

I'd rather my dog have a shorter happy life span than a horrible misserable one.

Although there are many dogs that have been on Cortisone all their lives and lived normal life spans, one just hopes that you can find the most minimal dose to keep the dog on that isn't immune suppressant.

:thumbsup: totally agree

Fair comment :thumbsup:

We are lucky, 2.5mg works for my dog daily, anymore and he is incontinent and sleeps 24/7.

We are lucky, 2.5mg works for my dog daily, anymore and he is incontinent and sleeps 24/7.

If dogs need cortisone long term to control allergies or other conditions, it is best given as "alternate day therapy" ie one day on and one day off.

It is safer long term to give, for example, 5mg of cortisone (prednisolone is usually used) every second day rather than 2.5mg every day.

However, before changing doses you should discuss it with your vet.

Cheers