Titre Testing Or 1st Year Booster Vacc ?

Lindainfa

My lab youngster is due for his 1st annual in January and after that I will be titre testing and he will only ever be vaccinated if I ever have to kennel him in the future and cannot find a kennel that will accept Titre testing. I have found a kennel here in Sydney that does, but if I relocate I may not find one.

My older boys no longer get vaccinated and I will not kennel them during their remaining time anyway, so there would be no need for any further vaccinations for them.

If you read the AVA site you'll see their recommendation for vaccinations no more frequently than once every three years. More particularly I think they say that to vaccinate more frequently than once every three years is over-vaccinating. I'm not talking about Heart Worm - that's a different kettle of fish. I'm talking about the vaccine for the core diseases. C3.

Erny- Thank you I will look for the AVA site and have a read. :thumbsup:

I spoke to my vet today, my two are just comming upto 2 years since they were done.

He thinks they should be vaccinated every 2 years.

The tt is $130, so its alot to spend if they then do need vaccs. :thumbsup:

My vet charges around $90 to tt. We've done it for the last 2yrs and are yet to need to revac either dog. For that price they also get their annual health check up. She doesn't make much on the tt, so maybe your vet charges extra to get some profit from the tt.

I spoke to my vet today, my two are just comming upto 2 years since they were done.

He thinks they should be vaccinated every 2 years.

The tt is $130, so its alot to spend if they then do need vaccs. :thumbsup:

My vet charges around $90 to tt. We've done it for the last 2yrs and are yet to need to revac either dog. For that price they also get their annual health check up. She doesn't make much on the tt, so maybe your vet charges extra to get some profit from the tt.

It depends who the vet uses to run the test. For example, we now send ours directly to VetPath in WA, which makes it considerably cheaper. It's a bit more fussing around though, in terms of packaging up the blood etc.

If we used our regular Pathology Lab, whilst they still send on to VetPath, they add their own mark up and handling fees on top of the VetPath fee, so it becomes more expensive. Some Labs like to send to overseas Labs too, which can make it even more expensive.

• 1 month later...

WOW $90/ $130???! for the TT??!!

I say this as I made the decision not to vaccinate my dogs every year after doing extensive research into the matter. America is way ahead of us in terms of research, for example the AVMA & WSAVA & it is amazing how long this information is taking to get out to the general public in Australia. One of the arguments is that we may be doing more damage than good to our dogs by constantly vaccinating an already boosted immune system. Though I am sure not all vets WANT this information to be well known as they are making a small fortune. Anyway, sorry I digress. It's just when I found this information out I was quite upset that vets aren't more upfront with this kind of stuff.

What amazed me was when I approached my vet about this, he told me that no staff in his clinic vaccinate there animals every year either. But here we good pet owners take our beloved dogs in every year for a shot, thinking we are doing the right thing, when in actual fact we might be doing more harm than good?!

Don't even get me started on the 1 year heartworm injection!! Vets should be informing there clients that this injection should be only given, if for a medical reason it cannot be given orally! That there can be serious life threatening side effects immediately or that might not be seen for months. Which it is clearly labeled on the product but this information is not getting passed along so that the owners can make an informed decision.

I say wow to $90/$130 because when I asked my vet how much it will cost to have the TT done I was told approx $300!!! I was told that the only place that does it is, is a pathology lab in Melbourne & that's why it costs that much. But after reading your posts I am now thinking I should shop around & make a few calls. I know that my vet is overpriced, I mean it has hospital in the title so that says it all really. But in saying that I live on the central coast & I have had some really horrific experiences with the vets here. So even though my vet is overpriced I go to it because of one of the vets who I trust implicitly with my animals. And that to me, is priceless!!

I am moving soon & I am dreading the whole find a good vet again. They are few and far between it seems. Sigh

Curious, if someone can help me here... for those business/groups etc that accept titre results over vaccination certificates, how recently does the titre need to have been done for acceptance or does it depend on the advice written on the titre result?

Sorry if this is a little OT :rofl:

I say wow to $90/$130 because when I asked my vet how much it will cost to have the TT done I was told approx $300!!! I was told that the only place that does it is, is a pathology lab in Melbourne & that's why it costs that much. But after reading your posts I am now thinking I should shop around & make a few calls. I know that my vet is overpriced, I mean it has hospital in the title so that says it all really. But in saying that I live on the central coast & I have had some really horrific experiences with the vets here. So even though my vet is overpriced I go to it because of one of the vets who I trust implicitly with my animals. And that to me, is priceless!!

Yep, it's around $240 here too (+ consult fee on top of that). Vet sends the bloods to Gribbles Pathology rather than direct to VetPath hence the higher cost :rofl:

Guest english.ivy
I'm getting Lotties 1st year vacc next week - but after that I'll be TT. I also don't do the heartworm injection but use chewables.

Badger is also due for his booster soonish, then he and Ivy will be TT. Ivy had her yearly booster and then I think she only had canine cough [the C# escapes me at the moment] as she went to a boarding kennel.

I need to buy more heartworm chewables!

I have just queried the cost for tt here too as Molly is due in a couple of weeks for her first year booster and I would prefer to tt. Price given was between $250-$400 :)

WOW. We pay $75 inc consult. Vet has his own blood equipment so we have it back in 20 mins or so. Sadly the coffee shop in the industrial estate has shut down. :laugh:

We shall all just have to agree to disagree. :laugh:

When a dog is covered for life. The only thing that will kill off the anti bodies is death or irradiation.

It was also explained to me that if the dog appears to be low it does not mean it is not coverer it means the dog has not been exposed to the disease, if it comes back high it means the dog has been exposed and the anti bodies have multiplied and protected the dog.

The new Nobivac given once at 10 weeks is said to give complete cover for life and over ride parental immunity. :)

I have just queried the cost for tt here too as Molly is due in a couple of weeks for her first year booster and I would prefer to tt. Price given was between $250-$400 :)

WOW. We pay $75 inc consult. Vet has his own blood equipment so we have it back in 20 mins or so. Sadly the coffee shop in the industrial estate has shut down. :)

Do you mind if I ask where abouts in QLD you are please? Your vets prices sounds amazing!