Dog Boarding - Illawarra

blueboy

Blueboy

Look in Yellow Pages, call the boarding kennel/s and arrange a visit.

Ask questions of importance to you and your dog.

Will your dog be running with dogs s/he doesn't know?

Feeding? What? How often?

Grooming? If breed of frequent grooming.

Vet attention if required?

Anything else you think is of importance.

Personally I prefer a boarding kennel where I am welcome to see how my dog will live whilst s/he is boarded.

Not all boarding kennels allow you to visit the kennel area.

Good luck finding a place you are happy with.

I am trying to find good, safe and caring boarding options for my dogs in the Illawarra.....so any feedback would be appreciated

Horsley Park Boarding Kennels

I have used them numerous times. They are nice people, Im always welcome to go to the run with my dog if I want to, accompanied by a staff member of course, they are happy to show you around but they do have limited open hours for the comfort of the guests :D All the dogs bark like mad when anyone goes in so obviously they dont want that happenning over and over.

Probably the best reference for the place comes from my dogs, particularly Sharni, she can't wait to get out of the car when we get there to go and say Hello, she barely gives me a glancing goodbye as she bounces of with the girl.

Bringelly isn't exactly in the Illawarra though Lillypilly.

Closer to the Illawarra, at Heathcote, are Hanrob Kennels. I have heard mainly good stories about them and the facility is owned by a Vet to my knowledge.

Another thumbs up for Horsley Kennels. I have used them several times for my dog and she always comes back in good shape and is not too unhappy to get out of the car when we arrive. There are very few kennels in the Illawarra. I've heard good things about Mount Kembla too but have never been there.

I personally wouldn't do Hanrob but only because it is such a huge operation and bit impersonal. Also I hate having to pay for every added extra. Letting the dog out for a run should be a given, not something you have to pay extra for IMO.

Bringelly isn't exactly in the Illawarra though Lillypilly.

Closer to the Illawarra, at Heathcote, are Hanrob Kennels. I have heard mainly good stories about them and the facility is owned by a Vet to my knowledge.

Dont know if Hanrob is owned by a vet, but they are a family run business that has survived for 30 + years, so they must be doing something right.

The one thing I do know is that anyone at anytime can walk in for a tour (between business hours of course), which says a lot about a boarding and training place. When I go their for their obedience classes on Saturday, the staff are always welcoming and never to busy to answer questions.

All you can do is go in and have a tour of the places you like. Do not tell them you are coming, just pop by to get a true indication.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit late on answering, but anyway try Mt Kembla Kennels, they are really great & secure, they have air condition, grass runs. nice & clean, i think by memory the guys name is Ben, You have to have opt to meet them there from 4pm. They are really good. I have used them & was more happier with them than Horsley kennels. When I went to drop off my dog there they had extremely loud rock music playing in the dog section, ( mind you at that time a young guy was working there) I asked that my dog be placed away from this. But who knows. When I picked him up his blanket was excess with his fur which told me he was under great stress. Thats why I wouldn't use them again but hey that was a while ago you gota go suss the place out & do ask LOTS of questions. Mt Kembla is the one to try. it is situated behind figtree. :laugh: