Toilet Problems

Haggis Supper

Morning all,

Since we've had our 10 week old Vizsla she's been outstandingly good when it comes to the toilet - wakes us during the night and if the doors are closed during the day always asks to go outside. However we've had more 'accidents' inside in the last 24 hours than the last 2 weeks combined. We came down this morning to a very messy laundry room - two wees and two poos. We don't think she barked in the night to ask to go out.

A short while ago as she was stood directly in front of the open door she had another wee rather than go outside.

Any idea what would cause this sudden change ? We have changed her from a pure kibble diet to 80% raw - but not sure why that would stop her from asking to go out. Is this relatively normal ?

And of course, any suggestions as to how we correct this - do we continue to praise her going outside ?

Thanks awfully !

Col

She is still only a little baby and I would not be expecting her to "let you know" that she has to go out yet... she doesn't know what is expected of her. You need to take her out at regular intervals and supervise, supervise, supervise. It is your fault if she has an accident in the house :) It would be rare for a 10 week old to be able to hold their bladder all night so you need to wake up for a toilet break and take her outside even if she's not barking or crying.

Mine don't ask to be let out unless they are busting, and they are now adults. One has never had an accident since we got him at 2 years and the other hasn't had an accident since 14 weeks (she is now 11 months). I put a routine in place so that they know that they will be let out at regular periods. As a puppy these periods need to be every hour or two and now that they are older it is less, but still a few times a day.

+1 to what wuffles said. She's too young to be reliably knowing when she needs to go out, and letting you know.

And the change of diet may very well be upsetting her system - especially since the accidents were poo as well as wee. Just wee, and I would suspect a possible urinary tract infection (UTI).