My Poor Boy =(

Alfie02

I had no idea about dogs being able to catch Kennel Cough even if they had been vacinated.

We walk next doors dogs for the lady who cant walk them herself (we walk them seperate form our own dogs) a couple of times a week and when she said the dogs had been sick as soon as we got home we avoided contact with our dogs, had showers and changed our clothes. But I would say he has been coughed on through the fence at some stage.

But it sure is relieving to hear that KC is fairly common and not life threatning usually.

Thanks so much for all the great adivce and help :D

Hmmm... it's an awfully big coincidence for your dog to suddenly start showing KC symptoms immediately after he's been intubated during surgery. Not totally outside the realms of possibility, but then again, many vets won't want to admit that they may have caused your dog discomfort via their intubation procedures either...

If it is KC, then don't worry too much unless the poor old fellow gets chesty or has green/yellow phlegm, OK? If the latter, get your vet to prescribe AB's then - until then, your dog doesn't need them for the KC bug itself...

I have 3 pups here with varying degrees of KC... nothing I'm too worried about - seen plenty of it before, and will probably see plenty more before I'm done... *grin*... the joys of rescue foster caring...

T.

Thanks tdierikx for the info ;)

I am hoping it is just the irritation from the tube at the vets, that would be much better for my boy and save him alot of discomfort.

I hope that your puppies get better from their KC quickly! Must not be fun having three dogs with it!

Thanks again :vomit:

Haha - KC doesn't seem to slow crazy puppies down one little bit. Occasionally they will stop, have a hacking coughing fit, spit up some phlegm, then continue playing like nothing has happened...

Having had quite a few rescue fosters, you tend to know what to look for in case the cough develops into something that requires more attention... *grin*

If your older dog is otherwise pretty fit and healthy, then if he does have KC, he should still be ok. just watch to see if he is coughing up coloured phlegm - if it's yellow or green, get him some AB's - if it's white or clear, then just treat him for the sore throat with Benadryl or Active Manuka Honey...

One of my babies had a long coughing fit last night, so I gave her some normal honey, and that seemed to stop it in it's tracks for a while... now she wants more of the sweet stuff...

T.