Insurance For My Bitch

elsaone

No I don't but boy it would have been nice to have in the past - then again, I suppose the fees will be very high considering the risks involved in breeding. Would probably be better off with a separate account that collects interest until it is needed. Figure it will be another 12 - 18 months before my next litter so would have plenty in the kitty before then.

Damn. She had to have an emergency Caesar last time and was trying to avoid the cost again. Andisa, I guess you had the same thing happen to you too. Ah well, better put some money away just in case

Yes - 3 out of 4 litters have been emergency c sections - 2 were after hours at the em clinic....very expensive indeed. I am not in any hurry for my next litter.

eta: both bitches (2 litters each) are now retired from breeding.

Edited by Andisa

• 2 weeks later...

Well, case is solved. She will be having a Caesar. I had her scanned last Monday and she is only carrying 2 puppies that they could see, so they are likely to be big. She is due on 23rd Dec, so I am not taking any chances either on an emergency Caesar, or putting her through getting a pup stuck again. I will book her in a day or two before she is due.

You could try this company.

I found them a few years ago when my mother-in-law was importing her new Boston Terrier.

http://www.logans.com.au/temp-1647437541.php

"Dog Insurance – Including Greyhounds

Increasing values for breeding, show dogs and greyhounds means owners cannot afford to take the risk of losing their dog and not being able to replace them with a similar dog. In addition breeding dogs generate significant income which increases their value."

I recall the insurance policy costing around $300 - it covered the purchase price of the dog, the cost of the airfare/freight & all the AQUIS quarantine charges including the accommodation costs.

I know you're looking at this from a breeding perspective, however, they might just be worth a phone call.

• 2 months later...
You could try this company.

I found them a few years ago when my mother-in-law was importing her new Boston Terrier.

http://www.logans.com.au/temp-1647437541.php

"Dog Insurance – Including Greyhounds

Increasing values for breeding, show dogs and greyhounds means owners cannot afford to take the risk of losing their dog and not being able to replace them with a similar dog. In addition breeding dogs generate significant income which increases their value."

I recall the insurance policy costing around $300 - it covered the purchase price of the dog, the cost of the airfare/freight & all the AQUIS quarantine charges including the accommodation costs.

I know you're looking at this from a breeding perspective, however, they might just be worth a phone call.

Thanks for that. I will look it up.