Lightroom

Ripley

I'm very behind on my photos. I have a stack of images to do from a trip to Lady Elliot Island in August and I'm only half way through them. Working 5 days a week and not wanting to get on the computer at night means I only get half a Saturday or Sunday to go through them as I don't like my weekends taken up by sitting on my ass editing photos. (and my husband hates it too).

Can anyone tell me that Lightroom would be a worthwhile investment? I take images in Raw and sometimes there are a number of photos I want to keep that require the same adjustments in the raw converter, due to them being taken in the same light, exposure etc. I have CS3 which has the same controls in Raw as Lithtroom 1 (I think it's 1) - clarity, vibrance, blacks etc. so that's all I want to do at the Raw stage and then open the file in PS and do a few adjustments from there.

Adobe Bridge takes so long and often freezes up. I can open several files at once in Adobe Bridge but I've heard Lightroom is faster. I need to get cracking as images are just going to keep piling up.

We are going away in December and then more images will pile up after that. If I get Lightroom, would it be too big to load on a laptop? I was thinking it would be much easier to take a laptop away, take photos during the day and edit them during the quiet times you get at night, while my husbnad hits the bar. :grimace:

I was thinking Lightroom 2 as it's much cheaper and I just want it for the fast processing I've heard it can do.

One word - yes.

Lightroom 2 is fantastic. LR3 does some things better and I am starting to be glad I upgraded, but honestly, I didn't really miss anything in LR2 :grimace:

I can't remember the last time I needed to adjust something in Photoshop - it's all done in LR. Photoshop for me is for the fancy schmancy arty farty stuff mostly - and that's not really my schtik so I don't do much of it anyway LOL

Photoshop still kills it for cloning etc (and I'd never go backwards from CS5 now) but LR3s clone tool is much much improved over LR2 so I do actually use that to remove sky dots etc...so in fact, I guess LR3 IS enough improved that I'd spring for that instead of messing with going in to PS to save a few bucks on an older LR version...

Edited by kja

Thanks kja. I sometimes use layer masks, I find them pretty good for selective adjustments so that's basically what I use PS for. Or converting to b/w. I'm not interested in any of the lightroom presets. I've got an action set for PS and have used it once or twice but I prefer to just make up my own adjustments.

It's the fast raw converting and sorting through images that I need.

eta: for cloning out sensor dust, I do that at the raw stage or use the spot healing brush in PS. If I have to tackle an object, I'll use the patch tool and the clone tool and find that ok in CS3.

Edited by Ripley

Lightroom lets you make your OWN presets - and that feature is worth its weight in gold. There are also tons of free and for sale presets - some are better than others. I don't have many presets from outside sources coz it's so easy to create my own for my specific needs. They are all totally tweakable, too.

Presets ROCK and save hours of time.

They don't lock you in or take ages to apply and it's one click to go back or change your mind. You don't even have to apply them - just run your cursor over the list and the preview window instantly shows you the effect.

LR also has options for only adjusting part of an image and LR 3 is better than the other versions.

And converting to black and white in Lightroom - a frickin dream! The amount of fine control, the options, the results - sometimes I love it so much I want to turn everything I do into black and white. And then there's split toning that takes mere seconds...oh how I love, thee, Lightroom!

Everything you do in LR is at the "RAW stage" and is non-destructive. I personally import as DNGs not the proprietary RAW format of my cameras. Either either works just fine.

I'll order it from the US as it's much cheaper. Can you load it on the home computer plus a laptop? I'm not tech savvy about these sorts of things.

Will have to buy Scott Kelby's guide to it though. Last time I downloaded a free trial over a year ago it confused the hell out of me and I went back to Bridge.

Yup, you can :grimace:

I'm a hands on learner so have never bought a book - just got in and played with sliders. I'm happy to walk you through anything you need or have questions about. It's really super super easy.

Excellent. As I take photos of nature sort of stuff and scenics, I only convert things to b/w if it's a city scene or similar. I don't take portrait shots (if I can help it, not comfortable shooting people) or dogs! :grimace:

You'll love LR presets as you make them.

I have variations of time of day, angle of sun, under/over exposed, cool shadow, warm shadow, etc so running through a whole day of shooting is usually a breeze. The presets might not be 100% every time, but they get me super close and then I can tweak and synch images. FAST. Love it.

LR3 also recognizes your camera & lenses and makes any adjustments needed - which is pretty cool even if I don't understand it all LOL

Oh and "behind on photos"? I am the QUEEN - I still haven't finished the photos from my trip to Antarctica/South America. Hell, I have underwater stuff from 2008 that's never been dealt with. One day I'll either get to it or simply dump them all LOL

Edited by kja

LR3 also recognizes your camera & lenses and makes any adjustments needed - which is pretty cool even if I don't understand it all LOL

Oh and "behind on photos"? I am the QUEEN - I still haven't finished the photos from my trip to Antarctica/South America. Hell, I have underwater stuff from 2008 that's never been dealt with. One day I'll either get to it or simply dump them all LOL

Would love to see your Antarctica/SA shots. Do you have any on your blog?

Do you think it's because you'd rather be outside or doing other things? That's how I am. I like taking the photos, I just get bogged down editing them and OH and I like to get out of Sydney and go hiking some weekends. I've (almost) finished my ones from August but I tend to sit down with good intentions, open Bridge, feel like it's all too much to do and become uninspired and log off.

Also thinking of asking the OH to buy me the waterproof point and shoot Panasonic camera for Christmas. Need a good one for snorkelling or shallow dives.

Edited by Ripley

Yeah, there are some on the blog - I think they are tagged with Antarctica so that should bring up the whole list (such as it is since I'm so far behind LOL) Try this link and this one - clearly I've sucked at tagging LOL

No, it's not that I'd rather be doing other things - it's that I haven't had enough time or energy or mojo in the past 18 months to take very good care of myself for the most part. When I am more balanced I find keeping up with all aspects of my life just works out somehow, no matter how busy I am with work AND fun stuff!

And, for me, Lightroom makes things so easy that it's not a chore or horribly time consuming to work with my images - it's something I really enjoy, in part because I know I don't have to spend hours and hours!

Edited by kja

Great, I'll have a sticky at the photos over lunch in a sec.

I hate being anti social as I'm on my butt editing pics so need Lightroom. I passed up an afternoon at the pub with friends last Sunday as "I have to get these photos done!" OH was not amused. Then I think, well what for? But it's for me, it's my hobby. My mother also wants a nice book and photos of her dog I took ages ago, she bugs me all the time, have you got those photos yet? Um, No. Can't even remember what I've done with them. Now she has an apricot toy poodle puppy, I'm being nagged to go and visit him and take pics.

I've found that you have to be firm and stop that stuff in its tracks immediately. Give a definite date you'll get something done by or just say no. Those projects that have no finite time frame just drag on and on and you lose enthusiasm for it.

Telling someone that you'd love to but you're simply enjoying doing your photography for yourself so are not prepared to make any commitments and thank you very much for your kind words, is perfectly OK.

Unless I had a paying client there's no way I would give up MY time. And if I had a paying client, I'd be organized enough to not let that situation arise - usually! But when I do end up in that situation, it's always my own doing in the first place. Happily, my really way behind stuff is all personal. I'm running against several time limits for client stuff & feel behind where I would like to be, for sure, but am not to the deadlines yet :laugh: Which is why I'm chained to my office chair today...playing catch up!

Love these iceberg shots - you are so fortunate to get down that way.

http://oceansbyanderson.com/blog/?p=231

These ones - so blue! How was the sea sickness though?

Those penguins are adorable and I think that seabird you photographed from the boat (it's not easy is it!) is a Southern Giant Petrel, but don't quote me on that. Not an albatross I think, wingspan isn't long enough.

eta: Albatross have a very wide wingspan like this black/brown Albatross I photographed just out of Sydney harbour last month, he did a 'fly by' around the boat looking for a hand out I think

medium.jpg

Edited by Ripley

No clue on the birds :laugh:

No sea sickness here. Dunno about any of the other passengers. Drake Passage was INSANE - it was so rough interior bulkheads bent, doors were blown off frames, everything in my friends' cabin was dumped off shelves & them out of their beds. My roomie and I didn't have that happen to us but it was pretty damned impressive when you could feel the 900 foot ship free fall off the back of a wave :laugh:

We're all looking to do it again in 2012 but on a smaller ship (the big ones do their last trips in 2011 - I really wanted to go, but life didn't really go as planned this year). I'd love to do the Falklands again - best time ever!

For cloning head to PS - LR has the spot clone tool but it's not really the same as the options in PS. LR3's clone is much better than 2's but if you have fiddly stuff, go to PS.

Bummer, thought as much. Now I just have to get PS.

I had a shoot with a very naughty little JRT who wasnt allowed off the lead so would be handy. I have a friend who has it so will have to pop over there.

Thanks Kja :laugh: