Anyone Interested In A Pet Fox :d

Sasha (Alexander)

I am not sure if you can get them to import to Australia, but at a hefty 6K+ price tag i would only even consider it if i was rich.

It wouldn't matter how rich you were because if you even attempted to bring them into Australia you will have a very hefty fine waiting for you from the Australian Quarantine people (AQIS) and the very expensive fox will be put to sleep immediately by AQIS officers.

Foxes are classed as vermin in Australia and with very good reasons.

Souff

They did an interesting study in Russia many years ago in selecting for tameness. They kept the human friendly cubs and continued to breed with them. One of the interesting aspects of the program was that those that were friendly started producing colored cubs ie black and white, with white increasing with generations! It appeared that there was a color gene attached to the 'tameness' factor! I can't remember all the details but if you care to look, you can find the short documentary on Youtube! It is fascinating viewing!

Cheerio

Cairo1

They were bred (or started being bred) as part of a large scale experiment on domestication - they have shown that selecting for tameness in foxes (over 10+ generations) has resulted in foxes that are very dog like i.e. floppy ears, range of colours and patterns, they bark, are social with humans and enjoy human interaction etc.

It is a very interesting study.

I agree about the smell Espinay2

I raised a kit from 3 weeks old till he died of cancer at the age of 8 also called Basil :thumbsup:. While domesticated ones would be a bit better I would think regarding the biting and hunting instincts I don't think I would ever class them as a pet. They are too adaptive and clever and once tamed they have no fear of humans.

Looking back on it, it makes me sad because he had to live in a pen, granted it was huge with lots of hidey holes and small tree he could climb if he wanted to but still it was a pen. I was the only one who could pat him and pick him up I had a pair of old "fox" overalls I used to wear while in the pen as my mum hated his smell.

--Lhok