Enduro Complete..how Much To Feed?

shyfig

I,ve just moved my 7 mth old Border Collie from Bonnie Puppy to Enduro adult complete and he loves the Enduro. He is a very inactive 7 mth old with a very small appetite but has filled out rapidly over the last month (was desexed at 6 mths). Whereas I could see the ribs before now I can't. I don't want him to put on excess weight but need to know that he is eating enough.

He eats a couple of chicken legs or lamb bones a day but has rarely touched dry food. Today he has just hoed into the Enduro which is great.

Question is how do I know how much dry to feed him? I would like the dry to be the major component of his diet with bones, chicken, offal etc being a supplement.

I haven't heard of that dry dog food before - do you know where it is made??

It sounds very good if it puts weight on that quickly - I have a skinny dog too!!

All dogs are different so you may just have to feed what you think is right and just watch the sides of your dog.

They should have a reasonable covering of fat over the ribs - if it fails the pinch test after a while, feed less.

If you feed a picky dog too much you run the risk of them deciding not to eat the food at all so perhaps underfeeding may be better than overfeeding.

This is a link to the Enduro site that I looked at. http://masterkarn.net/enduro_dry_dog_food.html I am in NSW and get it at my local produce store for about $42.00 for 20kg.

My vet recommended it as she feeds her own dogs with it (Border Collies on her property). Personal recommendation was good enough for me particularly when she advised me not to buy their expensive vet brands.

I think I misled you about the weight bit. Jed has not put the weight on since starting the Enduro (I only started him on it a couple of days ago) but since he was desexed a month ago.

Edited by shyfig

I am at the stage of being willing to try anything to get my dog to eat.

What she eats one day she won't eat the next so I have quite a bit of dry dogfood around the place.

Luckily I also have a large Dobe boy who eats anything so he is the ultimate recycling machine.

Thanks for the link.

ETA: Is there a name, address, contact number of the manufacturer on the bag???

Edited by STITCH

• 5 years later...

Grr, sorry for the thread revival. I was researching Enduro and came across this old post. It makes me sad reading it for a number of reasons:

1) The OP stated their Border Collie was very inactive for a 7 month old being fed Bonnie. Having Border Collies myself this makes me doubly sad as they're such a lively energetic breed. Bonnie is a dreadful food, which is likely the reason the dog wouldn't eat it and lacked energy.

2) The weight gain from changing to Enduro is seen as a good thing, but far from it. The bulk of Enduro is sorghum (or/ wheat) which is difficult for a canine to process and results in bulk. That kind of weight gain isn't healthy.

Does anyone here feed Enduro?

Edited by Dave-o