What Age Should I Stop Feeding My Dog Puppy Kibble?

Ill suggest to you what i suggest to all my customers. Use puppy kibble till the pup reaches one year old. For breeds such as SBTs, Amstaffs, and larger breeds like GSDs, Rottweilers, and above use the kibble till the puppy is 18 months old. Dont use kibble only as im sure you know, so using kangaroo meat is fine and is the lease fattiest although with puppies using minced beef/chicken is usually suggested because that fat is needed by a growing and energetic pup. Also stick to at least a premium brand of food as kibble comes in 3 stages. Budget, Premium, and super premium which all comes down to the quality of the food. Although alot of people complain about the price difference( not referring to anyone its just something i hear daily) the difference you will see in your puppy is amazing as i actually tried it on my own so that i could see with my own eyes the suggestions i make to people at work. Premium ingredients are of far superior quality and require less amounts of feeding for the same nutrition for your dog, not to mention less poop :coffee:

If you need more details ask away and i can go into more depth on the topic :)

Use puppy kibble till the pup reaches one year old. For breeds such as SBTs, Amstaffs, and larger breeds like GSDs, Rottweilers, and above use the kibble till the puppy is 18 months old. Dont use kibble only as im sure you know, so using kangaroo meat is fine and is the lease fattiest although with puppies using minced beef/chicken is usually suggested because that fat is needed by a growing and energetic pup. Also stick to at least a premium brand of food as kibble comes in 3 stages. Budget, Premium, and super premium which all comes down to the quality of the food. Although alot of people complain about the price difference( not referring to anyone its just something i hear daily) the difference you will see in your puppy is amazing as i actually tried it on my own so that i could see with my own eyes the suggestions i make to people at work. Premium ingredients are of far superior quality and require less amounts of feeding for the same nutrition for your dog, not to mention less poop :coffee:

PS : Sorry for the repeat most no idea how it happened and i cant manage to delete it

Edited by RIP HERO

I don't EVER feed puppy food.

Lots of breeders in my breed do & recommend it, lots don't & recommend not to.

The best you can do is your own research & make up your own mind which way you want to go.

I won't say ever but once the rest of the litter has left my pups are straight onto adult food and raw.

Most beef and roo mince is minced without bone, so anyone feeding it does need to be aware that it is not balanced in terms of calcium/phos

I was recommended by my breeder to keep Kenzie (BC) on puppy dry food until 12 months (or close to then depending on when the bag ran out). I had to change her to adult a bit earlier as the puppy seemed to be too rich for her tummy. But from a young age I always also gave her chicken necks and raw meat (roo, beef, chicken, lamb), and as she got older she started getting bigger yummier bones!

Use puppy kibble till the pup reaches one year old. For breeds such as SBTs, Amstaffs, and larger breeds like GSDs, Rottweilers, and above use the kibble till the puppy is 18 months old. Dont use kibble only as im sure you know, so using kangaroo meat is fine and is the lease fattiest although with puppies using minced beef/chicken is usually suggested because that fat is needed by a growing and energetic pup. Also stick to at least a premium brand of food as kibble comes in 3 stages. Budget, Premium, and super premium which all comes down to the quality of the food. Although alot of people complain about the price difference( not referring to anyone its just something i hear daily) the difference you will see in your puppy is amazing as i actually tried it on my own so that i could see with my own eyes the suggestions i make to people at work. Premium ingredients are of far superior quality and require less amounts of feeding for the same nutrition for your dog, not to mention less poop :coffee:

PS : Sorry for the repeat most no idea how it happened and i cant manage to delete it

SBT's do not need to to be fed a puppy dry for that amount of time. For someone starting out in the breed or not confident in feeding raw, feeding a balanced puppy dry for around 7-9 months is more than enough.

The challenge is getting them through the major growth spurts and keeping the calcium/phosphorus ratios balanced, this is where feeding meat off the bone is importants ( unless you are using minced chicken frames ).

For those who are confident in feeding raw or are happy to do so with their breeders guidance . SBT's typically do very well on an all raw diet and this can be done from the time of weaning or picking up your pup from the breeder. :cry:

Edited by ReadySetGo

Use puppy kibble till the pup reaches one year old. For breeds such as SBTs, Amstaffs, and larger breeds like GSDs, Rottweilers, and above use the kibble till the puppy is 18 months old. Dont use kibble only as im sure you know, so using kangaroo meat is fine and is the lease fattiest although with puppies using minced beef/chicken is usually suggested because that fat is needed by a growing and energetic pup. Also stick to at least a premium brand of food as kibble comes in 3 stages. Budget, Premium, and super premium which all comes down to the quality of the food. Although alot of people complain about the price difference( not referring to anyone its just something i hear daily) the difference you will see in your puppy is amazing as i actually tried it on my own so that i could see with my own eyes the suggestions i make to people at work. Premium ingredients are of far superior quality and require less amounts of feeding for the same nutrition for your dog, not to mention less poop :rofl:

If you need more details ask away and i can go into more depth on the topic :rofl:

SBT's do need to to be fed a puppy dry for that amount of time. For someone starting out in the breed or not confident in feeding raw, feeding a balanced puppy dry for around 7-9 months is more than enough.

The challenge is getting them through the major growth spurts and keeping the calcium/phosphorus ratios balanced, this is where feeding meat off the bone is importants ( unless you are using minced chicken frames ).

For those who are confident in feeding raw or are happy to do so with their breeders guidance . SBT's typically do very well on an all raw diet and this can be done from the time of weaning or picking up your pup from the breeder. :rofl:

Hey ReadySetGo,usually the easiest way for a new owner is to use the puppy premium dry for a longer period of time although mixing with raw is definietly preferred. People find choosing a premium brand for longer period in large breeds is easier for them and healthier for the dog as these breeds keep growing past the first 12 months...using raw with kibble is highly preferred and raw doesnt have to be canned food . Minced meats are really good and alot of companies make them for dogs such as barf and peringa. I know of a SBT breeder( friends at work own 4 of her pups) feeds premium puppy kibble till 15 months.. Diets vary between breeders and owners and each have a different preference...

Edited by RIP HERO

Use puppy kibble till the pup reaches one year old. For breeds such as SBTs, Amstaffs, and larger breeds like GSDs, Rottweilers, and above use the kibble till the puppy is 18 months old. Dont use kibble only as im sure you know, so using kangaroo meat is fine and is the lease fattiest although with puppies using minced beef/chicken is usually suggested because that fat is needed by a growing and energetic pup. Also stick to at least a premium brand of food as kibble comes in 3 stages. Budget, Premium, and super premium which all comes down to the quality of the food. Although alot of people complain about the price difference( not referring to anyone its just something i hear daily) the difference you will see in your puppy is amazing as i actually tried it on my own so that i could see with my own eyes the suggestions i make to people at work. Premium ingredients are of far superior quality and require less amounts of feeding for the same nutrition for your dog, not to mention less poop :thumbsup:

If you need more details ask away and i can go into more depth on the topic :laugh:

SBT's do need to to be fed a puppy dry for that amount of time. For someone starting out in the breed or not confident in feeding raw, feeding a balanced puppy dry for around 7-9 months is more than enough.

For those who are confident in feeding raw or are happy to do so with their breeders guidance . SBT's typically do very well on an all raw diet and this can be done from the time of weaning or picking up your pup from the breeder. :laugh:

Hey ReadySetGo,usually the easiest way for a new owner is to use the puppy premium dry for a longer period of time although mixing with raw is definietly preferred. People find choosing a premium brand for longer period in large breeds is easier for them and healthier for the dog as these breeds keep growing past the first 12 months...using raw with kibble is highly preferred and raw doesnt have to be canned food . Minced meats are really good and alot of companies make them for dogs such as barf and peringa. I know of a SBT breeder( friends at work own 4 of her pups) feeds premium puppy kibble till 15 months.. Diets vary between breeders and owners and each have a different preference...

Raw is NOT canned food.

What do you do for a living again, because your advice regarding diet is worse than what you'd get from the 15 year olds at the big pet stores.

This using " puppy premium dry " for extended periods, sounds very much like the "science diet" spiel. There's no benefit to the dog, but there's certainly a benefit to the vet/retailers pocket.

Use puppy kibble till the pup reaches one year old. For breeds such as SBTs, Amstaffs, and larger breeds like GSDs, Rottweilers, and above use the kibble till the puppy is 18 months old. Dont use kibble only as im sure you know, so using kangaroo meat is fine and is the lease fattiest although with puppies using minced beef/chicken is usually suggested because that fat is needed by a growing and energetic pup. Also stick to at least a premium brand of food as kibble comes in 3 stages. Budget, Premium, and super premium which all comes down to the quality of the food. Although alot of people complain about the price difference( not referring to anyone its just something i hear daily) the difference you will see in your puppy is amazing as i actually tried it on my own so that i could see with my own eyes the suggestions i make to people at work. Premium ingredients are of far superior quality and require less amounts of feeding for the same nutrition for your dog, not to mention less poop :laugh:

If you need more details ask away and i can go into more depth on the topic :eek:

For those who are confident in feeding raw or are happy to do so with their breeders guidance . SBT's typically do very well on an all raw diet and this can be done from the time of weaning or picking up your pup from the breeder. :)

Raw is NOT canned food.

What do you do for a living again, because your advice regarding diet is worse than what you'd get from the 15 year olds at the big pet stores.

This using " puppy premium dry " for extended periods, sounds very much like the "science diet" spiel. There's no benefit to the dog, but there's certainly a benefit to the vet/retailers pocket.

Sorry again that we dont agree so attack all you want hey i realise now thats what this forum is about. Well, first of all i DONT get anything from the vet or retailer lol for people using premium foods for larger breeds for a long time. And hey maybe you dont agree but you can ask vets if they advise puppies of staying on premium foods for more than 12 months on large breeds. I know thats what MORE than 4 have told me personally AND i never buy food from the vet :) and i know raw is not canned food BUT canned food is what some people us thats why i mentioned it before( sorry it didnt come out like you want). Opinions people differ so why does everyone on the site think theey are top sh&! bout everything...relax take your opinion but also consider that of others many many people have their dogs on different diets and the above is simply my choice and opinion. Remind me again about what profit ill be making from giving my advice? Being neither the vet nor the retailer?

Staffordshire Bull Terriers are not a "large breed", you may not profit from any advice you hand out and there's certainly no benefit to the dogs remaining on a "puppy" formula.

Lets say your breed doesnt fall into this category? On what basis does my advice sound like a 15 yr old in a pet store and that profit crap you pulled out really got to me...its called on an insu lt and anyone can throw them around if they want to :laugh: but hey this 15 yr old learnt that lil thing called respect..like i said argue and discuss dont insult if you think your breed doesnt fit with the opinion, alot of vets will disagree, alot of breeders will disagree because diet differs alot between people and everyone will have a different opinion about it. Will i keep my samoyed on a pup mix with raw food past the 12 months? Yes. Will everyone? No..same goes with you. I know fo a breeder that feeds her GSDs puppy formula till they are 2 YEARS old...been breeding for 20 yrs too...

Edited by RIP HERO

There are many breeds that don't fall into that category of keep them on a puppy food for extended periods.

The "Toys" , the " Giants" and others that would benefit from a diet tailored to suit their breed. Some mature early, some need to be grown slowly and feeding the way you suggested may not only be a waste of money but could be detrimental to the dogs growth and development.

Plenty of breeders successfully avoid feeding a puppy dry, as do many owners. I'm not against a breeder or owner choosing to feed dry, however what someone chooses to do should be the result or making an informed decision and in the best interests of their dog.

In my experience and opinion alot of the so called 'premium' and 'super premium' dog foods are a heap of crap and I would sooner feed my dogs on supermarket foods than waste my money on them.

My advise is read the ingredients (and learn what they actually are and how ,if at all, they contribute to the dogs nutrition).

There was a time that there was no such thing as 'puppy food' and pups were raised successfully back then with no major problems. Feed your dog what it does best on, do your own research and don't always believe what you are told by others. I would tend to listen to breeders advise and opinions over any staff member in a pet shop.

For the record, I have a Doberman. He stopped getting puppy food at around 5-6 months of age, he is in perfect health, looks great and has had no growth problems at all. He gets fed what I consider a good dry food and plenty of RMB, eggs, yoghurt, sardines and some vegies.

Hey guys, i agree with you opinions 100%...every person knows there dog and their breed. Dobesrock i totally understand where you are coming from. In my situation people ask what should i use and i advise what I THINK is better and i always always let them know that it is my opinion only. But like Dobesrock mentioned read the ingredients and make a descision. I like to try various food and see which one my specific pup settles on. Science diet was way too high in protein for puppy. I ended up using royal canin with raw food.

I love hearing everyones notes and opinions as i work there to learn knowing along with uni it will help alot in the long run and what you guys on here suggest always gets added to my notes...so keep them coming and thanks for your opinion

ps: Dobesrock i do disagree with you on the opinion that premium foods are a heap of crap because if you ask breeders what they feed in 99% of cases its a premium food and i strongly believe that there is a reason behind that and that is quality or everyone would have bought crap budget food and stuffed it into their dogs...

Edited by RIP HERO

Dobe's is correct about a lot of the so called " premium foods " and checking the ingredients list is the key to finding a quality dry food.

If the first ingredient listed is not meat, then you are wasting your money. Science Diet is one of them, why you'd want to keep a puppy on a diet that contains corn as the first ingredient and soy meal for 18 months is beyond me. People should really research what is in a product before they recommend it.

Dobe's is correct about a lot of the so called " premium foods " and checking the ingredients list is the key to finding a quality dry food.

If the first ingredient listed is not meat, then you are wasting your money. Science Diet is one of them, why you'd want to keep a puppy on a diet that contains corn as the first ingredient and soy meal for 18 months is beyond me. People should really research what is in a product before they recommend it.

You said Science Diet not anyone else....I said a premium balanced kibble never mentioned Science Diet and i never use it either. Royal Canin is my choice....and people should research what is a product before they feed it. Because a person recommending a product does so because it works for them, it might not work for you so people should do their own research before deciding on a premium balanced food. Like i said earlier you dont have to agree and turn around and point the finger back to me at every instance, the foods are out there research and you decide....It may be beyond you but you might catch up some day :)

hey people,

ike is now 5 months old, and i was just wondering when i should stop feeding him puppy kibble.

and also what are your thoughts on feeding dogs Kangaroo mince, ive heard it's less fattier than chicken or beef??

thoughts anyone???

Looks like thread got a little hijacked here :thumbsup:

My experience has been my girl stopped eating kibble on her own accord at about 7 or 8 months. She has been fed raw since 6 weeks, and on breeders advice allways had a bowl of kibble available to her between feeds. I have allways fed mainly chicken mince and kangaroo chunks, and lots of rmb, occasionally beef mince. The only time she gets kibble now is sometimes stuffed in her kong. Do your research and decide the best for your puppy and your circumstances. So yes, kangaroo is fine.

Depends on your breed.

I take mine off puppy around 12-16 weeks and onto adult food. I still use premium food, but have found too long on puppy food can make the puppy grow too quickly and I know others who also claim they have seen puppies fed too long on puppy food have the front legs go "east/west".

As for how much to feed:

Your puppy tells you how much to feed. They will get a little bit chubby, then over night (or so it seems) they have a growth spurt and go all lanky and lean again. I feed more during the leaner looking times and less when they start getting too chubby.