Matings And Pup Size

klw

hello,if a bitch is mated then mated again 2 days later would the resulting puppies be different sizes because of different conception times? i was told this by a breeder and just wanted a bit more feedback.

thanks

No- the time of implantation is more important than the time of mating. Also if you have a larger number of pups they have smaller placentae and are often slightly smaller than small litter size/ single pups

2 days later is not a problem but if there's a huge gap between matings/ conception, then *yes* it can cause smaller pups or pups at different development stages.

Above posters are correct - it does matter when the fertilisation occurs - and believe you me Team snags - having a 76 gram puppy is not a walk in the park :champagne: .

t-time how big is a huge gap ? is 2 days a huge gap ? i understand the conception bit as its later than the mating but all in all how much younger approx would they be than the pups conceived from the irst mating? im trying to determine how feasible this reasoning is cause i have another litter i can get one from i im not satisfied.

thanks again

4 days plus is getting into tricky territory :D

In your case, mating over 2-3 days is totally normal and no, 2 days will make absolutely no difference. :o

4 days to a week starts getting tricky as you have to imagine 1 week of pregnancy in a dog equals 1 month of pregnancy in a human so a bub who is one week less in development will be the equivalent of one month premmie in a human - that's a laymans' way of explaining it to you.

Most bitches will be mated over 2 or 3 days and most breeders will only allow a bitch to be mated for 3 days maximum.

I experienced it because I AI'd a bitch and then 5 days later she decided to have a natural mating (accidental). One pup was 76 grams whilst her smallest sibling was 180 grams -the largest 250 grams - huge difference which the repro vet has attributed to the difference in mating times.

I would never put off get a puppy from a litter just because the matings were 2 days apart!! :o Now that's ridiculous!! :laugh:

thanks t-time,i wouldnt reject a pup cause of that, it doesnt matter how many matings the bitch had and when i was just concerned with the pups size but i will wait and see in a few weeks how the pup is then,i will probably take her in the end.thanks for input everyone.