Have A Photo That I Can Use Of Big Happy Dog In Crate?

Kitt

Greyhounds are used to being kept in enclosures during their racing life. Racing people are not allowed to keep the dogs routinely crated instead, and some may not allow a dog to go to a home where they think it might happen.

OFFTOPIC:

Why aren't they 'allowed to keep greyhounds' crated?

Greyhounds are used to being kept in enclosures during their racing life. Racing people are not allowed to keep the dogs routinely crated instead, and some may not allow a dog to go to a home where they think it might happen.

OFFTOPIC:

Why aren't they 'allowed to keep greyhounds' crated?

Sorry, it is probably more accurate to say that greyhound trainers's kennels will not be approved unless they meet minimum size and construction requirements. The dogs themselves can be crated, and will usually spend time in dog trailers or in a crate-type arrangement at a race track.

I have heard some trainers comment negatively on anyone crating dogs, and one of the reasons they might rehome a dog is because they don't want the dog to have to be kept in an enclosure any more.

I have no idea of why this person specifically doesn't like crating, or even of who they are. I just took a guess based on what the OP has said before.

Just wanted to put out the idea that some racing people are against keeping greyhounds in smaller enclosures than they normally see them in, and they have the dog's welfare in mind when they form that belief.

They may not understand the benefit of appropriate crating, and possibly may not be open to learning about it from a pet person.

I just don't want anyone to get upset or confused or to change their mind, so best just to not talk crating with some people.

:laugh:

Thanks everyone. Turns out that the foster carer did indeed know what I meant when I asked if Lucy had been crate trained (I thought that she must have thought I was talking about something really horrible). The foster carer just said that she prefers not to use crates for large dogs, but she is very happy that Lucy is coming to me. She knows that I would use the crate only if Lucy likes it, and when my 3-year-old niece is visiting or if Lucy wants to feel secure during a thunderstorm. So it's all fine. We're all happy. Thanks Greytmate for letting me know of the perspective held by some racing people - good thing to know. :(

SAS that photo is hilarious! Love it!

I leant a large crate to a friend of mine for her new puppy and i received the funniest photo via email....it was of her two small children who had climbed into the crate and closed the door...they were holding onto the bars like little jailbirds! Sometimes i would love to crate the hubby and child and leave the doggies out, they are much better behaved! hehe!