"girl Mauled Trying To Save Dog"

beau7

A dog that does that much damage to a person's face just because somebody is trying to grab them isn't a dog I would want to own.

It is terrible to hear all this about what the poor child should have done. Yeah, I know what she will do from now on, and that is keep right away from any dog.

A dog that would do this should be locked behind very secure fencing. It is terrible that a dangerous animal like this was allowed to be out in the street.

Simple answer: NO. However, I have enough common sense to know when to stay away and not..... some of us actually do have some dog experience........

But is beside the point.........I would stop to try and help a dog from being obliterated..........that certainly does the dog world more favours than just driving on.........

You are an adult and as far as I am concerned you can make whatever choice you like - however should a reporter ask you later how you got your face ripped open, or your legs, or your arms, would you be kind enough to tell them that you encountered an angry possum in the dark? Please?

The dog world does not need the bad press that happens when people make such choices and get some part of their anatomy opened up.

Souff

I'm sorry but that dog might not have necessarily been dangerous. And to be perfectly honest... the damage wasnt that bad - my gsd has done more than that to me purely by accident. I've gotten a bleeding nose from him accidentally lifting his head and hitting me, and I have gotten scratches and bruises from him purely because he has no idea how big he is.

She wont even have any scarring. Seriously. It was the mothers fault, the little girls fault and the owners of the dogs fault. Everyone is to blame here - but the media sensationalised it. I am a journalist and I know exactly what they do and what reaction they want. And honestly? It looked like the mother just wanted her 15 minutes of fame.

Those dogs were in a very stressful situation and had no idea what was going on... ANY dog - they could be the most placid dog in the world - but if they are hurt or stressed they can react badly. Dont blame the dogs.

I'm sorry but that dog might not have necessarily been dangerous. And to be perfectly honest... the damage wasnt that bad - my gsd has done more than that to me purely by accident. I've gotten a bleeding nose from him accidentally lifting his head and hitting me, and I have gotten scratches and bruises from him purely because he has no idea how big he is.

She wont even have any scarring. Seriously. It was the mothers fault, the little girls fault and the owners of the dogs fault. Everyone is to blame here - but the media sensationalised it. I am a journalist and I know exactly what they do and what reaction they want. And honestly? It looked like the mother just wanted her 15 minutes of fame.

Those dogs were in a very stressful situation and had no idea what was going on... ANY dog - they could be the most placid dog in the world - but if they are hurt or stressed they can react badly. Dont blame the dogs.

A dog that puts a child in hospital is dangerous.

Many dogs would have growled or given a warning snap in that same situation, instead of a sustained attack that injured the arms as well as the face.

This dog went far beyond what was necessary to get the girl to back off. It isn't the dog's fault, but possibly the fault of the breeder and definitely the owner.

I really cant see any evidence in that footage that there was a 'sustained attack'. The child appears to have relatively minor injuries to her face and I couldnt see any injuries to the arm in that footage. Iv had my lip cut by an enthusiastic dog bouncing up as I bent over - with much more swelling and broken skin than this child appears to have. I would think that a dog that meant business would have done a LOT worse than that footage suggests occurred.

Dont get me wrong, im sure it was awful for the child, and it certainly shouldnt have happened, but lets not do the media's work of over sensationalising anything to do with dog aggression, for them. They do a great job of creating beat-up attack/mauling stories all on their own.

In fact Ill bet if the breed hadnt been so easily recognisable, the story would have included the word 'pitbull'.

I was just thinking what I would have been told by my parents if I did what that young girl did and got myself injured in the process .......

Hmmmm ....... fairly easy to guess what they would have said.

Sympathy?

None.

More like, "Well ... what did you think a strange dog on the road would do to you?" "Nobody's fault but your own!" "If you ever think of trying that again, then you had better think twice!" and of course "You could have got yourself killed out there!".

And ...... I probably would have had extra work to do as punishment because of the inconvenience that I had caused everyone by getting myself injured and taking up the doctors time to get stitches or whatever, not to mention that father would have been fuming over a doctors bill that he didnt need. :D

Yes, I can see that pocket money would not have not been expected for quite a while. ;)

Would my parents have told the story to the media?

Not on your nelly! They would have DISOWNED ME FIRST "for not using your brain properly". :D

I can almost hear them saying ..... "No, we don't know anything about a dog on the road ... " :thumbsup:

But we are much more savvy now .... or are we?

Souff

I really cant see any evidence in that footage that there was a 'sustained attack'. The child appears to have relatively minor injuries to her face and I couldnt see any injuries to the arm in that footage. Iv had my lip cut by an enthusiastic dog bouncing up as I bent over - with much more swelling and broken skin than this child appears to have. I would think that a dog that meant business would have done a LOT worse than that footage suggests occurred.

The story said that she had arm injuries. The witnesses described a sustained attack, the dog did not back down until pulled off the child.