My First Real Puppy Problem

TsarsMum

Im afraid I do have somewhat different attitude

Not really ;)

I will quote nekh's post - she puts it succinctly :rofl:

Alpha bet I dont believe total separation is necessary but at the moment until professional help comes in they should separate when there is food around. It's not a long term fix but at the moment its better then having the dog nip a child that doesnt understand what the dog is telling it.

ANY biting/snapping at a human is not on .

and I totally agree-

He just needs to understand that he is a four leg and the humans are two leg (even if that human is crawling).

tsar's mum . I am SO glad you are getting professional assistance with this - it will take a load off your shoulders :laugh:

:laugh:

Im afraid I do have somewhat different attitude - with over 15 years experience of working in this specific area - that being - dogs fitting in with family life.

Of course I agree that the dog needs to be supervised around the kids, however it is possible and necessary to teach your dog that he is not to use any pressure towards any human. He just needs to understand that he is a four leg and the humans are two leg (even if that human is crawling).

It is nigh impossible to assure you don't have any food lying around before letting the dog in the house. You have a few kids and there is always the chance of a biscuit that has rolled under the couch or they have some food in their pocket (for example). There is also the danger the dog may decide he wants to guard a toy or a part of the garden where he might have a bone buried or even his bed.

Instead of separating I would aim to modify the dogs behaviour and attitude to food and toys etc. etc. with the kids around and incorporated into the sessions. The objective should be to foolproof your dog (as much as possible) to family life not create separation.

It is near impossible to explain how to achieve this online so you do need to talk to some trainers/behaviourist - Unless you have someone you know well who might recommend someone, then I suggest you talk to a few and see who seems to make the most sense before committing to anyone.

I don't mean any offence in anyway - Yes, it can be hard but not impossible.

Hey all and thank you for all your help.

I agree having 3 kids and removing all food can be very hard and is. i have had a few times yesterday where my 4 year old would grab a yogurt etc and start eating the dog in the house. but i am trying he gets put away or the kids go into a room with the door shut so he can not get to them.

i should have someone early next week coming out to talk to me and deal with this issue inc when the kids are home so thats great.

i must say my kids do not torment him they know that they would loose there heads if they did. and they are just kids that would not even think to do it anyways.

but the baby LOL and the puppy now they are totally different :) they will both sit at my feet and play together. the puppy will get a toy lay straight infront of the baby then the baby will get the toy off the dog, and chuck it then the dog will get it and the process goes again LOL.

or if the baby wants to play he will go to the dog and the above process happens. LOL

hopefully early next week ill have someone out :o

ill have someone out

I hope the 'someone' is not just a quick fix franchise person :0 I hope they are someone experienced in both the resource guarding, and spitz dogs ..and I hope they spend the time with you that you need :)

Oh.. and looking forward to pics of dog& kids at some stage :)

they will both sit at my feet and play together. the puppy will get a toy lay straight infront of the baby then the baby will get the toy off the dog, and chuck it then the dog will get it and the process goes again LOL.

or if the baby wants to play he will go to the dog and the above process happens. LOL

Edited by persephone

hey perephone no no defffantly not a francise :) . its a trainer who works down the rd owns a spiz breed and knows them well.

she has alot of experince and i emailed her and her responce was excellent and I was really happy with it.

i also googled her and found alot of recommendations on other dog site for her. so i hope she is good.

Hey all

i had the lady out today (it was today or not to next week so i was luckey to get today)

She saw him in action which was good and bad Lol

She said like many of you alot will have to come down to management etc but i do have a few things the kids have to ask for a sit if he comes at them if they are eating, which both are able to do. if he does not listern they are to turn away from him. she does not want them confronting him as such as it could cause a problem as he could see it as a challenge.

we are to teach him 'give'and 'leave it'

my oldest did these with him and got him to listern.

I am also to have him on lead while they are eating in the same area and keep up with the leave it etc so he will learn.

so we have a plan of attack and like she said it will be always in him but it may get better as the kids get older as he will eventually see them as 2 legged and not 4, but will be something to always be mindful of.

hey peresphone when i say she said he will always have it in him I dont mean he will do it and i have no hope of fixing it. More that he is prone to doing it so to keep aware of him that he may do this again.

sorry with 3 kids i just quickly type and dont always get out what i mean.

we hope with the training we will do and as the kids get older and the pack changes it will stop. As he wont see them so much as equals. by the time she had left he was already not garding the pigs ear we where using and was listerning and to the 8 year old to leave the treat . so i do see positives :laugh:

he is a smart cookie this one and is proberly too smart hence this issue LOL.

the big key for the kids is to get him to listern to sit with them which he main does SO if they see him comeing and looking for there food they make him sit so he is not at them for it.

thats why the key is to teach him to leave it and to give. so he or the kids are not put in this position where there is a stand off about food.

I will also join her her training down the rd.

does that make more sence lol. Im not good with explaining at the best of times.