Retrieving & Field Training Talk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never leave me at home alone on a rainy day - went online shopping and bought my dummies from this website

http://shop.dogsunlimited.com/list.asp?d=17&p=1.

Was one of the few places that sold both canvas and rubber valveless types. Now to be patient and wait for delivery. We have a RAT trial on March 6.

Wow a RAT already, lucky ducks!! Best of luck!

It will be interesting to see how popular the new format will be. We are having a break from retrieving training as Em is losing teeth left, right and centre! Lots of fun obedience work however :laugh:

Maybe it would be prudent to add dogs ages. Dogs at Em's age/mouth maturity we use paint rollers.

Great you are having obedience fun, I expected nothing less. You rock.

It will be interesting to see how popular the new format will be. We are having a break from retrieving training as Em is losing teeth left, right and centre! Lots of fun obedience work however ;)

Maybe it would be prudent to add dogs ages. Dogs at Em's age/mouth maturity we use paint rollers.

Yes good point LL - Em has just gone 5 months - mouth seems a bit tender today but it's not stopping her using Zig as a teething ring ;)

An obedience training video of Em in the training thread for you LL :laugh:

Well managed step 2 in the training program this weekend. Got OH to throw dummies for us. Was a challenge to get Coco to look out for the dummies as her whole life has been focus on mum always and ignore anything else happening but we managed quite well I think using the command "watch".

Ended our session with four retrieves of 30 metres with OH out of sight and just the dummy coming into view. Know she was looking as the ears would suddenly prick up and she would go straight to it no searching around for it. have been blending obedience with this training so she knows it is work and not games so that we will still get lovely fronts/presents with no mouthing.

Step 3 - lengthen the distance of retrieve. Do I add water yet?

It will be interesting to see how popular the new format will be. We are having a break from retrieving training as Em is losing teeth left, right and centre! Lots of fun obedience work however ;)

Yes good point LL - Em has just gone 5 months - mouth seems a bit tender today but it's not stopping her using Zig as a teething ring ;)

An obedience training video of Em in the training thread for you LL :laugh:

Still have a virus - not able to watch youtubes.

Well managed step 2 in the training program this weekend. Got OH to throw dummies for us. Was a challenge to get Coco to look out for the dummies as her whole life has been focus on mum always and ignore anything else happening but we managed quite well I think using the command "watch".

Ended our session with four retrieves of 30 metres with OH out of sight and just the dummy coming into view. Know she was looking as the ears would suddenly prick up and she would go straight to it no searching around for it. have been blending obedience with this training so she knows it is work and not games so that we will still get lovely fronts/presents with no mouthing.

Step 3 - lengthen the distance of retrieve. Do I add water yet?

Hi Kath,

We have our human throwers vocalise- a cue - hey hey hey, so help the dog focus. Flat throws are important at shorter distances. Not a high arc which the dog may not follow retrieving object.

If there is any doubt of the dog "marking" the object rethrow. How old is Coco?

Water - another topic. Be careful.

Kath,

Just a thought, (your OH is obviously hiding- behind trees???), have thrower in plain sight and the retrieve easy to find. Must be successful.

I would not worry about too much obedience ie straight delivery. Lots of drills to come yet.

And she most definately has no issues with water. Kath sent her down to me for a while, and I threw a dummy for her in the river - thinking the dog could swim - ha ha! Dummy floated away once Coco realised it was too deep to walk anymore...but I had her doing water retrieves within 15 minutes after that - she is a phenominally crazy water and retrieving dog, she loves it :thumbsup:

Anyway, I would keep doing the marking work with her Kath and slowly building the distance. I wonder how many of the RAT trials will utilise water?

And she most definately has no issues with water. Kath sent her down to me for a while, and I threw a dummy for her in the river - thinking the dog could swim - ha ha! Dummy floated away once Coco realised it was too deep to walk anymore...but I had her doing water retrieves within 15 minutes after that - she is a phenominally crazy water and retrieving dog, she loves it ;)

Great. Are you throwing non cheaty water marks?

And she most definately has no issues with water. Kath sent her down to me for a while, and I threw a dummy for her in the river - thinking the dog could swim - ha ha! Dummy floated away once Coco realised it was too deep to walk anymore...but I had her doing water retrieves within 15 minutes after that - she is a phenominally crazy water and retrieving dog, she loves it ;)

Great. Are you throwing non cheaty water marks?

What are you guys talking about?

Cheating water is when the dog avoids water to get the mark. In retrieving you want to dog to take a straight line, so even though it might be quicker to go around a body of water (or part of it), if the straight line is through the water, even just the edge then the dog should go through water. I am assuming that 'non cheaty' water marks are marks where the obvious route for the dog is direct to the mark through water, like in the middle of a dam. Thats how you should always introduce water marks, so the dog has to take the correct line ;)

gspmadhouse, don't think that a water mad dog won't cheat water, especially if they are retrieving mad! Even a water loving dog will want to take the quicker/easier option given a chance!!

Edited by FHRP

gspmadhouse, don't think that a water mad dog won't cheat water, especially if they are retrieving mad! Even a water loving dog will want to take the quicker/easier option given a chance!!

;) GSPs have a name for finding the quickest route to a bird, they are so smart sometimes :) !! My dog loves doing atleast a lap and a 1/2 around a dam (in winter) only to figure out that if he took the original line he would have got there quicker, sometimes he just doesnt like to get his toes wet or body cold (wetsuits are great for helping their body temp warmer when its almost snowing), but during summer he hits the water with about 4ft of air under him and couldnt run straighter :hug:

Did a teensy bit of retrieving training tonight while out at agility (and snuck in some obedience too, nothing like multi-tasking :rofl:)

Someone threw a dummy for me, I asked Ruby to leave it, we turned and another was thrown. Sent her for the second, then lined her up and sent her for the first once she returned with the first. She was a good little girl and is progressing well ;) I made the mistake of sending her for the second when her lead was sitting on the ground in her path. Being such a novice, this confused her and she wasn't sure what it was she was meant to go for. I removed the lead, set her up again, and sent her. She nailed it that time :rofl: I will slowly introduce things in her path, but she just wasn't ready for that at this stage. Though once when she was sent for one in some long grass she found something on the way, picked it up, decided that wasn't what she was meant to get and dropped it, then continued on and found the dummy ;) But the lead thing just threw her I guess cos she recognised it as hers! (and she loves to carry her lead around in her mouth - and makes happy grunty noises and wiggles her bum while showing anyone who will spare her a minute to look ;))