Retrieving & Field Training Talk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a bit p...ed off about the dummies. I have my absolutely correct according to the rules in a camo type printed fabric.

They have to be camo type? Not the standard white or black ones? Perhaps I need to go and read the rules again!

Well done on your successes! And hope the poor sickly ones feel better soon!!

Dummies do not need to be camo but must be of a subdued colour. It states in the rules that white dummies (and white pigeons) should be avoided wherever possible. I cover my 3 inch dummies in grey socks, so they are kinda pigeon coloured :)

I can understand you taking issue with the dummies mollipop. We now have standards, and for a reason. Everyone has access to the rules.

Mollipop, there are rules for the dummiesas FHRP said, but unfortunately not all judges read the rule book? I was at a trial, brought my camo dummy (as it was subdude in colour) and the judge then said oh any dummy would be fine and other competitors ended up with white ones :mad (and a newly appointed judge!) a little unfair!

Hope the girls are feeling better.

Polo is a very proud brother today :D His litter sister won the National Utility Field Trials held in Victoria this weekend!! :eek::cheer: Huge acheivement for Diane, their breeder and Lani's owner/trainer/handler, being the first female handler to ever win the National event. A home bred National Field Trial Champion, wow....

Polo's own brag pales in comparison, but he did win a club field trial today open to all Pointing breeds (no Ch points awarded). Polo was the only utility gundog entered and even beat two Field Champion Pointers :D Although we were eligible to enter the National in Vic, we certainly aren't ready yet :o

A pic from today

5871729241_c327d700d5.jpg

Edited by FHRP

Great work, Polo and sister!

I have a small brag. My old girl, Poppi, got her 3rd RATG pass on Saturday at the MacArthur trial.

So now we have 2 RATs in the family.

She could probably do open if I got her a bit fitter.

We were recently in Brisbane for a week and my dog sitter (my son) fed 3 dogs the same amount I was giving 5.

Add that to no excercise for a week and I came home to very fat dogs!

Polo is a very proud brother today :D His litter sister won the National Utility Field Trials held in Victoria this weekend!! :eek::cheer: Huge acheivement for Diane, their breeder and Lani's owner/trainer/handler, being the first female handler to ever win the National event. A home bred National Field Trial Champion, wow....

Polo's own brag pales in comparison, but he did win a club field trial today open to all Pointing breeds (no Ch points awarded). Polo was the only utility gundog entered and even beat two Field Champion Pointers :D Although we were eligible to enter the National in Vic, we certainly aren't ready yet :o

A pic from today

5871729241_c327d700d5.jpg

Well done! :thumbsup: What a champion family :D Yesterday were doing some ability testing with a litter of Weimeraner pups, most of the litter froze and stalked and froze on the wing and one very special pup did a proper leg up point! :thumbsup: Very adorable!

Great work, Polo and sister!

I have a small brag. My old girl, Poppi, got her 3rd RATG pass on Saturday at the MacArthur trial.

So now we have 2 RATs in the family.

She could probably do open if I got her a bit fitter.

We were recently in Brisbane for a week and my dog sitter (my son) fed 3 dogs the same amount I was giving 5.

Add that to no excercise for a week and I came home to very fat dogs!

Well done mollipop!

Well done on your win with Polo FHRP and congratulations to his sister too :cheer:

I also found out that the Springers that won at the Blue Mountains were all half siblings of Em so she has an awful lot to live up to :laugh:

Congratulations mollipop - that's a wonderful achievement for an older dog :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone. We have been very lucky to have such a great season for birds this year, timed just perfectly for me starting field work with Polo :D

Yesterday were doing some ability testing with a litter of Weimeraner pups, most of the litter froze and stalked and froze on the wing and one very special pup did a proper leg up point! :thumbsup: Very adorable!

Awwwww, isn't it so cute and amazing to see the pups pointing. One of the first dogs I ever saw point was my Flynn as an eight week old pup, I was absolutely amazed. It alsoe sealed my decision between the two pups I was picking from.

A couple more pics from training on Saturday, your classic point pose :)

post-2138-0-60339300-1309144715_thumb.jpg

post-2138-0-36153700-1309144733_thumb.jpg

Edited by FHRP

Thanks everyone. We have been very lucky to have such a great season for birds this year, timed just perfectly for me starting field work with Polo :D

Yesterday were doing some ability testing with a litter of Weimeraner pups, most of the litter froze and stalked and froze on the wing and one very special pup did a proper leg up point! :thumbsup: Very adorable!

Awwwww, isn't it so cute and amazing to see the pups pointing. One of the first dogs I ever saw point was my Flynn as an eight week old pup, I was absolutely amazed. It alsoe sealed my decision between the two pups I was picking from.

A couple more pics from training on Saturday, your classic point pose :)

post-2138-0-60339300-1309144715_thumb.jpg

post-2138-0-36153700-1309144733_thumb.jpg

Gosh Polo just looks so handsome on point :) Yes it was an amazing moment, especially as she is likely to be Zora's future training buddy.

Zora arrives Sunday! I am so excited, I was doing some bumper retrieves with Toby, like when you throw two out, send them to the first one then the second. My poor kelpie :laugh: When I get a gundog he won't have to do retrieveing drills anymore.

How are the pre-puppy excitement nerves RV? Good luck tomorrow :D

I've been working on making drills FUN for Miss Em this last few weeks - mainly working up to a single T drill, practicing lots of lefts and rights (and now adding backs) to piles, tossing to piles and sending the opposite direction etc. We're not quite there yet but making good progress. Mr TSD helped me out yesterday so we finished off with some walking singles - I set Em up so the marks were very long and in shade against the forest that borders the oval and she was in the sun.....so a bit of a different 'picture' and the temptation of chasing birdies in the forest on the pick up. She fell for that once but came to her senses as soon as I called and flew straight back to me. With the effect of shade, it was really interesting - she clearly marked the first dummy (white ones of course) but didn't trust her own judgement and veered off course a bit. However, she realised that she WAS right and ran dead straight on the following marks. I really enjoyed watching her nut that out :)

How are the pre-puppy excitement nerves RV? Good luck tomorrow :D

I've been working on making drills FUN for Miss Em this last few weeks - mainly working up to a single T drill, practicing lots of lefts and rights (and now adding backs) to piles, tossing to piles and sending the opposite direction etc. We're not quite there yet but making good progress. Mr TSD helped me out yesterday so we finished off with some walking singles - I set Em up so the marks were very long and in shade against the forest that borders the oval and she was in the sun.....so a bit of a different 'picture' and the temptation of chasing birdies in the forest on the pick up. She fell for that once but came to her senses as soon as I called and flew straight back to me. With the effect of shade, it was really interesting - she clearly marked the first dummy (white ones of course) but didn't trust her own judgement and veered off course a bit. However, she realised that she WAS right and ran dead straight on the following marks. I really enjoyed watching her nut that out :)

Nerves are playing up a bit. Will be fine after she arrives safetly in Perth.

Whoo hoo! Just heard that Em's half sibling won Novice again today (in NSW) so off with the big kids for Restricted now :eek::cheer:

:cheer: Well done! Em's family sounds super talented.

Zora arrived today! She seems very promising already :D Very confident and has been bringing me leaves and things. She has also been pointing at random things. :thumbsup:

Here is a picture:

5896044357_6f8131de1a.jpg

There are more in the Brittany and WA threads. :)

Zora arrived today! She seems very promising already :D Very confident and has been bringing me leaves and things. She has also been pointing at random things. :thumbsup:

Here is a picture:

5896044357_6f8131de1a.jpg

There are more in the Brittany and WA threads. :)

RV she is just gorgeous, good luck with her!! :)

Awwwww, Zora is gorgeous RV!! I look forward to hearing about her gundoggy adventures :thumbsup:

Polo and I had another busy weekend in the paddocks, although based from home this weekend. We were both shattered after yesterdays efforts, I really should wear a GPS to see how far I walk (and times it by 50 for Polo!). Quail season is over in Victoria, so the trialing season is all but over too! Blink and you miss it ;) However, while the birds are still about and the snakes are asleep we'll keep training. I was very pleased with Polo both days, I seem to have control back, but the real test will be when he's actually shot over again and in a trial situation. His backing was very nice, although he does need a reminder now and then.

Love hearing about your training TSD, I'm sure Em will do the 'family' proud when you start trialing her :) Scout's owner is very happy with getting that third Novice win, although it was quickly followed by 'sh*t, now we're in Restricted' :laugh:

Edited by FHRP