Retrieving & Field Training Talk

Well! LL and I waxed lyrical about getting home before it got dark tonight...yeh right :D I swear we weren't delayed because we were talking too much :rofl: Interrupted by heavy rain and misbehaving bumper boys! Luckily LL brought a thermos and biscuits to warm ourselves with. Thank goodness also for Mr TSD who not only fed Zig and the cats but all the foster kittens and me as well!!!

I was so pleased with Em today - marking really well off the bumper boys, bounding out with ears madly flapping and full of confidence. It was heavy cover for her level of experience - she didn't mind at all except for one really boggy, wet area which required a bit of encouragement. However, we later did 2 sets of walking singles with birds and LL made sure the second set covered that more difficult ground - Em was so excited about the birdies she barely noticed the cover. She hunted hard for the birds which was good too. She is so tired tonight and I am quite happy to join her in an early night!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have been a little quiet on the training front with Miss Em having an upset tummy. Today she was back to her crazy self so we headed out for some drills at the park and a nice walk around the local lake.

My new favourite is the 'in lines blind' drill (same book). Esentially a line of dummies (W W O W O W) and send dog for each one progressively. Teaches dog to take the line. It seems to be helping Em with the concept a little more although I still send to a pile from increasing distance.

Had a training day this morning with the Retrieving Club, had a blast! thumbsup1.gif

Ruby's confidence to continue hunting if she doesn't find the dummy right away is increasing hugely!

I've been having issues in getting Ruby to stop dropping the dummy at the water's edge, fetchindawgs can attest to that.

Well today, I relaxed, smiled, got down on Ruby's level with my hands in my lap, and she actually came out of the water, and up the bank, still holding the dummy! Woohoo!! She did drop it and have a shake, but I quickly threw it back into the water's edge, sent her for it, crouched again, and this time she brought it all the way to me! It was a race to see if I could grab it before she dropped it, so her holds where water are concerned are still not there, but this is definitely progress!! Her coming out with it and making her way up the bank with it is huge progress! :cheer:

Here is proof I remained happy and upbeat! ;)

post-25061-0-05801000-1304863799_thumb.jpg

Had a training day this morning with the Retrieving Club, had a blast! thumbsup1.gif

Ruby's confidence to continue hunting if she doesn't find the dummy right away is increasing hugely!

I've been having issues in getting Ruby to stop dropping the dummy at the water's edge, fetchindawgs can attest to that.

Well today, I relaxed, smiled, got down on Ruby's level with my hands in my lap, and she actually came out of the water, and up the bank, still holding the dummy! Woohoo!! She did drop it and have a shake, but I quickly threw it back into the water's edge, sent her for it, crouched again, and this time she brought it all the way to me! It was a race to see if I could grab it before she dropped it, so her holds where water are concerned are still not there, but this is definitely progress!! Her coming out with it and making her way up the bank with it is huge progress! :cheer:

Here is proof I remained happy and upbeat! ;)

Yes, she's got her 'funny ears' on! :laugh:

Great stuff TSD and RubyStar :thumbsup: RS, I really hope to hear that you overcome your apprehension and enter a trial one day :D

Our local club had a bit of a training day on Saturday. We were supposed to have trials this weekend but unfortunately they were cancelled :( The weather was gorgeous and the company nice :) We had some newcomers who are hoping to at least do the RATG's, but maybe they'll continue on to Retrieving Trials too! The dogs certainly showed a lot of promise. I didn't do much with Polo as I need to be working on short retrieves in cover, not the long ones set up. I did do lots of little retrieves on our own, which he of course had no trouble with :o Rogan got a bit of a run and was delighted to find a pigeon, it's been a while ;) rubyroo's boy did some lovely work :thumbsup: At the end I took the boys for a bit of a wander and they found quail :) Rogan actually found the first covey. The cover is just too thick for good dog work on quail though, amazing what rain will do... I think we'd all forgotten after 10 years of drought!

Great stuff TSD and RubyStar :thumbsup: RS, I really hope to hear that you overcome your apprehension and enter a trial one day :D

Yes, I will definitely enter a trial :) IF I can get more water training in, then I plan on entering one before the season is over. I also want to do some water stuff with Millie in case we ever get a RATG held here.

I'm still really crap with the gun :laugh: Look like such a wally holding it wrong! I'm too busy concentrating on everything else in the walkup to get the gun holding right! But that is the least of my worries at the moment thank goodness :)

Our local club had a bit of a training day on Saturday. We were supposed to have trials this weekend but unfortunately they were cancelled :( The weather was gorgeous and the company nice :) We had some newcomers who are hoping to at least do the RATG's, but maybe they'll continue on to Retrieving Trials too! The dogs certainly showed a lot of promise. I didn't do much with Polo as I need to be working on short retrieves in cover, not the long ones set up. I did do lots of little retrieves on our own, which he of course had no trouble with :o Rogan got a bit of a run and was delighted to find a pigeon, it's been a while ;) rubyroo's boy did some lovely work :thumbsup: At the end I took the boys for a bit of a wander and they found quail :) Rogan actually found the first covey. The cover is just too thick for good dog work on quail though, amazing what rain will do... I think we'd all forgotten after 10 years of drought!

Well done to your boys :) and to rubyroo. We also had some promising new dogs/handlers in our training group yesterday. I really hope they stick with it! They all seemed very keen! There was a working springer there, awesome drive! It was a black/white coloured one, and for a second I thought it was a large munsterlander! Gosh they look similar.

Edited by RubyStar

Sounds like a very nice weekend of training for everyone :)

RS - good to hear you are chilling out on the delivery. I'm sure Ruby will get the hang of it in good time.

FHRP - lucky Rogan!!!! There is a lot of bird life at our local lake at the moment. Em is a right PITA to walk on lead down there as she darts after each one she sees. With Zig wanting to lift his leg every 30s it's quite a sight :laugh:

Sounds like everyone's training is going well. Hopefully I can do some now that most of the puppies have gone to their new homes.

I brought a bird home from the Labrador Club show yesterday and tried my new baby (8 weeks old) with it. She had no trouble dragging it around and didn't seem to want to eat it.

Any tips on starting a baby from scratch would be very welcome.

Molly got her third pass in RATG yesterday, winning the novice trial. Her mother, Poppi, got 3rd place and her second pass.

Our next test (and the first one in open) will be at the GR Nationals in June. Think we will be okay with the double rise or double mark but will need to learn the walk-up. Could any of you experts recommend a video or book??

What a shame that the Canberra trial had to be cancelled. I would have gone on the Saturday if I didn't have puppies leaving.

Yes, I will definitely enter a trial :) IF I can get more water training in, then I plan on entering one before the season is over.

:cheer: Good to hear! I'm sure you'll have a great time trialing instead of just stewarding.

Do you gun steward? I have found a good way to become familiar and comfortable with the gun is to gun steward at trials.

Yes, I will definitely enter a trial :) IF I can get more water training in, then I plan on entering one before the season is over.

:cheer: Good to hear! I'm sure you'll have a great time trialing instead of just stewarding.

Do you gun steward? I have found a good way to become familiar and comfortable with the gun is to gun steward at trials.

Yes I've gun stewarded at quite a few trials, now :) But you don't get practice holding the gun in the right position to shoot being gun steward :o:laugh:

Well done on the NRA, mollipop!!!!! :cheer:

Well done Mollipop. It appears that the RATG is going to be a popular event. I do hope it brings more people into real retrieving trialing though.

Rubystar, it sounds like you are starting to get somewhere with Ruby and her dropping the dummy coming out of the water. Does she do it with a bird as well ??

Don't despair though, my older Labrador had his first Novice trial when he was two. I had brought him along slowly and everything was going great in training. His first trial and what did he do.....drop the bird after he came out of the water, and only a foot away from me. He lost the trial on that drop. I put extra work into him in the following week, on hold, and the following week he didn't drop the bird, and won the trial. So, keep at it, and keep it happy.

Also RS, I would suggest that you try entering a Novice trial sooner, rather than later, and just see what Ruby does. If you go in with no expectations, then you may be surprised. Also, it gives you an idea of what needs tidying up, or fixing, for both yourself and your dog. Am only suggesting this as the trials tend to get more difficult as the season progresses, even in Novice, so why not give it a go (once you have her fetching and holding a bird well).

Sounds like everyone's training is going well. Hopefully I can do some now that most of the puppies have gone to their new homes.

I brought a bird home from the Labrador Club show yesterday and tried my new baby (8 weeks old) with it. She had no trouble dragging it around and didn't seem to want to eat it.

Any tips on starting a baby from scratch would be very welcome.

Molly got her third pass in RATG yesterday, winning the novice trial. Her mother, Poppi, got 3rd place and her second pass.

Our next test (and the first one in open) will be at the GR Nationals in June. Think we will be okay with the double rise or double mark but will need to learn the walk-up. Could any of you experts recommend a video or book??

What a shame that the Canberra trial had to be cancelled. I would have gone on the Saturday if I didn't have puppies leaving.

I don't think I would give a pigeon for a puppy at this age. What you can start on with her is beginning her recall education. With my pups, I would clear out the other dogs and go to a hallway or large room and have my OH kneel on the floor about 12 to 15 feet away. Holding the puppy facing away, he would call her name and say here & maybe even clap hands to make it exciting. As soon as the pup showed a response you let it go. the person at the other end then gives a little food reward, and then the process is repeated with him holding the puppy and I do the call. The pups love this, and quickly latch on to going quickly from one end to the other. We do it about 4 - 5 times each session. The other thing you can start on with your puppy is teaching sit to the whistle. I am presuming you are crate training your pup. When you ask your puppy to go into her crate, use a little food in your fingers and as the pup goes in you can get her attention by saying sit. Hold the food just slightly over her nose and back, so her behind goes down. (You may have to do a little sit training beforehand to get this going). After awhile, when you ask your pup to go to its crate and she enters it, say the sit command and reward. AFter you have her doing this quite well, introduce your whistle after you say sit, then reward. It worked a treat on my pup.

Also, get yourself a soft puppy dummy and do little throws for her, giving her encouragement and making it lots of fun. Nothing formal !!! If need be have a soft rope attached to her collar so you can encourage her to return to you.

If you can get a copy of "sound beginnings" by Jackie Merton, there are some helpful bits on it that particularly apply to GR's. It is the US style, but still has its uses.

Well done Mollipop. It appears that the RATG is going to be a popular event. I do hope it brings more people into real retrieving trialing though.

Rubystar, it sounds like you are starting to get somewhere with Ruby and her dropping the dummy coming out of the water. Does she do it with a bird as well ??

Don't despair though, my older Labrador had his first Novice trial when he was two. I had brought him along slowly and everything was going great in training. His first trial and what did he do.....drop the bird after he came out of the water, and only a foot away from me. He lost the trial on that drop. I put extra work into him in the following week, on hold, and the following week he didn't drop the bird, and won the trial. So, keep at it, and keep it happy.

Also RS, I would suggest that you try entering a Novice trial sooner, rather than later, and just see what Ruby does. If you go in with no expectations, then you may be surprised. Also, it gives you an idea of what needs tidying up, or fixing, for both yourself and your dog. Am only suggesting this as the trials tend to get more difficult as the season progresses, even in Novice, so why not give it a go (once you have her fetching and holding a bird well).

Wow ok I had no idea that trials get harder as the season progresses :o Looks like I am going to have to think seriously about entering, otherwise I might have to put it off for yet another year :o:( Thanks for the heads up!!

Ruby has only had one bird in the water, and she brought it all the way back and delivered to hand. I really do think that was a fluke!! (though she shook while still holding it :o). That was at last year's Arthur River trial. This weekend I'll see if I can find some water and try it with a bird just in the water's edge :)

Some photos of Ruby at training yesterday :)

230001_10150180445118036_585378035_7163586_6423005_n.jpg

224233_10150180445098036_585378035_7163585_3738577_n.jpg

223445_10150180445378036_585378035_7163599_2072281_n.jpg

231164_10150180447498036_585378035_7163614_7307283_n.jpg

Having travelled to Victoria for a Retrieving Trial on the weekend, I have come home very pleased with my 9 1/2 yr Old Girls Results. Not only did Bailey finish the Trial both days, but we placed 2nd on Sunday with a Final score of 173/195 and top scored the last run with 58/65.

This was my 3rd trip across the border, even though I'm only in Novice, it's great to go Outside your home state to see what the level of competition is like and to experience the different terrain offered.

Looking forward to another weekend in Victoria later in the season. The SA Season is about to start, Wish me Luck.

Congratulations, 2BD's. That is a great start to your season.

Good luck with the next trials.

Love the photos of Ruby working. She looks like a star already.

I agree, you should enter a trial. It's the best experience ever.

Thanks for the tips, Fetchin. I have some very soft rabbits skins which I could roll up like a small dummy.

I do obedience with my dogs and like to have the sit, stand and drop by an early age.

I will look for the book you mentioned.

Thanks for the congrats on Molly's title.