Retrieving & Field Training Talk

Yes, you really need someone else to throw for you and in a variety of cover. The dog needs to look forward (not at you!) and learn to "mark" the depth of the fall. It is VERY deceptive when you add undulations and cover and the dog has to learn to compensate accordingly. There are some early videos of me doing marking work with Em on my You Tube channel - I'm on my phone but I think the link is in my signature. Yes, the heel work and recall is definitely the easy part!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know of any training groups around me, unfortunately. There is a gundog club in the ACT but it doesn't seem like it's very active.

The ACT Gundog Society is not as active in retrieving this year as usual. They did run a RATG in April, but the July RATG held with the Queanbeyan obedience trial isn't going ahead this year. The only retrieving trial they'll be conducting is the State Championship in October. Hopefully next year the ACTGS will be offering more trials and the training group can 'reform', several of the regulars have moved interstate.

Yup, I wanted to check out the one in April but I think I was away that weekend. Then I was hoping to check out the Queanbeyan RATG but I heard that it wasn't going ahead. So now I'm looking at Sydney... the one at Orchard Hills also has a conformation show so we could at least get show points if we bomb out at retrieving.

Question: the rules say the dummy needs to be 25-30cm long, does it matter if it's longer? Mine are a bit longer, but the circumference and the weight are right. I also need to cover them to make them a "subdued colour" because they are bright red.

Probably best to check with the club - in Vic the club now supplies standard dummies for all dogs which is a great idea. Just a note regarding your red dummies - when we are training for marking we never use red dummies as dogs are red-green colourblind. Combination white/black dummies are the preference as they will show up against dark or light skyline or trees. And you want the dog to have 100% success rate at marking the depth of the fall and retrieving the dummy using their eyes.

Interesting point, I always forget about that. Perhaps the rule should say a subdued colour to the dog's perception then!

Definitely check with the club as to their requirements as perhaps interpretation is important. In retrieving trials most game used for marking is of a subdued colour - the dog sees it clearly against the sky BUT it shouldn't stick out like the dog's proverbials on land or water. But when training we want SUCESS so white is ok provided it's not a bright sunny day.

We are all getting cabin fever here…my car is having the engine replaced (yep! fortunately mechanic's insurance is paying) but I have been without a "dog" car since last Monday and will be without one for another week most likely. Training at home is getting creative but it's been good to really push her understanding of taking the line. Unfortunately it also means I'm going to miss out on the retrieving trial this weekend. Completely bummed about it - such a great trial site and there's been no local trials for a few months so we are getting restless!

• 3 weeks later...

YAY!!! Finally got my car back! Took the crazy Spaniel training today and she was so fired up. Mr TSD did walking singles for us and she just flew. Nailed every mark - distance was around 100m and terrain wasn't too challenging but she just about walked on water and pulled up on top of the mark every time. I was surprised after her lack of training. We found a nice body of water (freezing cold and rain can come in handy sometimes) and worked on a few concepts - double rise/2 bird and double rise/double fall - with the mark over water, double rise up the hill and the 2 bird and double fall landing in water as she was swimming. She did the mark easily (no getting sucked in to the 2 bird and double fall) but I did need to call her back and send again for the double rise. Great learning curve though as she just about winked at me and said GOT IT! And she did.

Hey TSD! Yes my guys haven't been out as much as I had planned for this time of year, and are just stir crazy, the old boy just screams the place down when it's walk time. I'm a little hesitant of pushing Rocket to much, he seems to be pain free, but just something catches my eye when he runs, not sure what it is but just doesn't look right? Doesn't stop him flying into the dam at 7am and in the minus' thinking he can catch a duck, dumb dog, it is so cold. Must get back out in the paddock, only 2mths to go and my snake phobia will be back in full swing. :eek:

Do you have a good Bowen or Physio? Niggling injuries are so frustrating. Can you video his movement?

It is SO cold at the moment that I reckon the snakes have migrated to NZ :laugh:

Yesterday I managed to do some handling and stop whistles in the morning and Mr TSD finished work early so we did marking in the afternoon. Walking singles through heavy cover with one landing beyond a very cheaty pond. Very good effort. Then did a set up with a short memory mark in water and a long channel swim to the go to mark. Took a bit of work to keep her on a tight line but I was really pleased. She swam straight past ducks with just a brief acknowledgement. The water must have been freezing but she was loving it so sent her for a final mark across water, land, water with heavy cover around both ponds. She ended up a bit off line after the second swim so I gave her one left over to pick it up.

Today I took the dogs with me on a few errands which took me past a favorite training ground - freezing cold and the wind was up so I tried to keep the water work until the end. Took a thick coat for Em for between runs. Set up 3 blinds - had the dogs with me but I didn't make a big deal of walking the line at all. First was moderately long and she nailed it. Second was shortish and she nailed that. Third was much longer and across a small body of water - I lined her a bit poorly so she needed an angle back. Hard running - just a little slow to stop. Finished with a set up - long blind across water with hand thrown marks either side - one in the water and one real tempter on land. Her understanding has really improved as she was super excited by the marks but did not suction at all. Just needed a back to keep her on course in the water.

Super weekend away with Em - for once the trial site was only 1.5 hours drive so it felt very luxurious to have my camp site set up before dark! Very, very cold weekend and not many people camped - I imagine the muddy conditions would have made it difficult to get caravans in and out so most folk stayed in the nearby town. Anyway I had an outdoor butane heater that worked a treat whilst I was cooking and eating plus lots of bedding and a certain Spaniel to keep me warm….especially Saturday night when it got down to -2C!

Beautiful property and lovely owners. Plenty of water and the judges were spoilt for choice.

Saturday: Weather was cold, wet and miserable for the most part.

Run 1: Double memory mark with relocation and a blind. I went out on the thrower and placed the blind for the first half of competitors. The firing point/s were awkward to get to and there were trees between the firing point and where you sent the dog, which made handling difficult. So! Collect the gun and shells. Walk to first firing point. Fire at mark going left to right (right of field) and immediately fire 2nd shot at unsighted bird at left of field. Reload. Relocate to second firing point (further back) and fire at white bird going right to left - I don't think the dogs saw much more than the first part of the upside of the arc. Leave. Send dog for first mark. Send dog for second mark. Send dog for blind. Not much to say about this run because Em picked up all 3 without a command and she top scored the run!!! For a little dog that has barely left the property for 4 weeks due to car difficulties I was absolutely thrilled. She was just so confident and the judge was wrapped. To top score an AA run just blows my mind.

Run 2: Double memory mark and a blind but the relocations were enough to do a handler's head in :laugh: Collect gun and shells and walk to first firing point. Fire at mark going right to left (right of field) across a steep, narrow gully (with water I think?) Relocate backwards to far peg. Fire at mark going right to left (left of field) landing in water - it was designed so we couldn't see the bird in the trees but saw it splash in the water. Leave. Place dog in hide a little further backwards still. Relocate to 3rd firing point slightly forward of 2nd firing point. Fire at blind straight ahead - over a dry gully and behind a huge tree - which gave the dogs the opportunity to switch to either mark in the gully without being seen by the handler. Pick up the blind and then the marks in any order. Em saw the first mark but the second mark we were a bit unlucky with the wind - how unlucky I didn't realise until afterwards but basically the wind dropped and the mark landed very short and we didn't even see the splash. So! Sent for the blind and she took off like a bullet - I lost sight of her as she ran into the gully but she popped up in the most beautiful straight line at the base of the large tree and started hunting. I stopped her. Let her settle. Gave her one left back that got her into the area and her nose did the rest. I was so pleased. I think the judge tried to give me a hint that the 2nd mark had drifted even shorter still but I just couldn't concentrate on Em and listen to him at the same time so I messed the next bit up. Unbeknownst to me, as Em came flying back through the gully she got a HUGE eyeful of the 2nd mark floating in the water. When she delivered the blind she gave me every indication that she knew exactly where the 2nd mark was but I had planned to pick up the 1st (long). A very good lesson to listen to your dog!!! Because as soon as she hit the gully (where I couldn't see) she swung left, entered the FREEZING cold water and picked up the 2nd mark. We were out but she was so, so pleased with herself and so was I. The judge was really lovely and said how sorry he was that she didn't get to tackle the 3rd run.

Run 3: Double blind across a very large gully with lots of timber and water to negotiate. I placed the blinds for the last half of the field and put an extra one out at the end for Em. It was nice to do it as training rather than a test as Em fell into the same traps as many of the other dogs did.

Sunday: After a very cold start, we had a little sunshine and I think I got the tiniest bit burnt in all of 11C! I ended up doing vetting in the morning too.

Run 1: Triple mark up a HUGE hill - very difficult for the dogs to judge depth on such a hill - fire right to left. Pick up left to right. The first dog up did the most superb job of it but Em needed a few handles to push her deep enough and several dogs went out on this run. It was hard work physically for the dogs but it was right up Em's alley - she is super fit and was barely panting by the time we finished.

Run 2: I placed blinds for most of this run. Walk-up mark right in front of us. Reload. Leave your dog where they stopped. Walk to second firing point and fire at 2 blinds. Call dog. Pick up right to left finishing with the walk-up. I had a little trouble with the gun (it clicked instead of firing) so ended up firing a bit late but I was pretty sure Em had seen the mark really well. Fired at blinds. She was super steady and I took my time before I called her up. Sent her for long blind which had a lot of barriers - she tackled the timber and scrub really well but she started hunting when she got to the water as it was already a distance from me. It took a few whistles but she finally got the idea that she needed to get in the water and then she was fine. Swam powerfully (it must have been so cold!) and got out the other side running hard. I then stopped and cast her up another huge hill and placed her in the area. She found it no problem and took a lovely line back through the water - it was certainly cheaty but she didn't look for a way around which was great. That was such a tough blind and was close to maximum distance. 2nd blind was a very tight line through a gully and at the base of a tree. Well, I'll be damned if she didn't take the most perfect line I've ever seen, at breakneck speed and adjusting herself when she dodged around thick blackberry. She was running so hard she completely forgot to turn her nose on and ran straight over the top of the blind. At least twice :laugh: Of course, then it got a bit messy as she was so quick and I am not quite quick enough that it was hard to get her back on track - took a few whistle sits and calm "good girls" to stop her head spinning with excitement before I cast her. Absolutely thrilled regardless as all the lining work has really paid off. Big sigh of a relief from both of us (and the judge I expect!) when she picked it up. Sent her for the mark (relocation) and she nailed it.

Run 3: I was out on a thrower for all but the last 2 competitors, one of which was me. A very steep climb down to this run - so steep that I left Em in a sit at the top of the hill and called her down so I didn't land on my head. I could see why the judge wanted to use the area though as it was just beautiful. Very wet and muddy underfoot. Take the gun and shells and place dog in hide. Walk to first firing point to the left and in front of a broad swamp like area. Fire at blind straight ahead. Relocate to second firing point in line with the first but to the right. Call dog. Fire at 2 marks on the hill to the left of field. I had trouble with one of the shells at this point and the gun wouldn't close but the judge was fantastic and told me not to stress whilst he replaced it with a fresh one. Return with dog to first firing point. Send for blind - essentially a channel swim with the suction of the 2 marks to the left. I kept Em on a really, really tight line with this one and she exited the water exactly where I wanted her to. When she got out of the water I stopped her and gave her a right back "just in case" - if she had been suctioned in to the marks I would have lost sight of her behind some heavy scrub and been in real trouble. It was worth it as she took off straight back - fortunately she learned her lesson and had her nose well and truly switched on. Swam back on a nice line and I just gave her one handle as I relocated to the second firing point to take delivery. Sent her for the first mark up the hill (to the left) - she took a super line but as she was running flat out she spied the 2nd (white) mark lying on the side of the hill and veered right to grab it. I stopped her. Calmly said "leave". Cast left. Very interesting as she went to move left but was rooted to the spot by the close proximity and temptation of the white bird. "Leave." Cast left. She realised I did know what I was talking about and took off like a bullet to pick up the correct mark. Phew! Judge commented on my handling which was nice. That confused matters a little for the 2nd mark of course so she needed an additional handle to push her up the hill.

So! That's our 3rd finish in AA and I'm really delighted with her. Sunday was TOUGH but a fabulous learning curve for both of us. I tried to slow down my handling and use my voice MUCH less when handling which seems to suit her. When I did use a verbal it had more influence especially when she needed support going back on the long blinds. Once we finished we ran straight over to where they were doing tests for up and coming judges and she did a couple of single marks. The land mark was just so much fun for her and she was all over it. The examiners were pleased with us for the 2nd mark as she made a bit of a hash of it and it gave them something to assess - across water (no problem) but she misjudged depth (up another big hill) and I had to handle her. The examiners joked that could only have been happier if she'd broken :D A very long day in the end and by the time I packed up camp I was the last to leave. Very, very tired last night but Em bounced out of bed this morning like no dog has a right to :laugh:

Next trial is the Nationals in SA :eek:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Hormones are fascinating. This crazy little dog goes even crazier when she is in season - early riser all of a sudden and is not happy unless she is hunting and running like a thing possessed or training HARD. Today I did lining, handling and double rise/double fall and could not trick her for all the world. In 2 weeks time she will be ridiculously fit and I will be exhausted :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Season is well and truly done and dusted!

Training wise we are working towards our big trip to SA for the lead up trial, State and Nationals so tweaking a few things and building confidence in others. Doing work on selection, memory, not cheating (cover as well as water), single marks (including hills and trees) plus lining across water and handling "back" into water for remote entries. Slipped in a double rise plus 2 bird today and she seemed to really nail the concept without much help from me - fingers crossed! Stopping and handling is pretty good and she is running hard. I need to do some LONG hot blinds just to ensure the forward momentum is there - perhaps Sunday when I go training with a friend.

Nice little training session yesterday. Worked on remote entries using a pond that had lots of sedge grass etc around it. A pile of dummies on the other side. Lots of distracting bird life too. Started short and gradually increased distance - alternated between sending as a blind and setting her up in a sit fairly close the the pond and handling back to the water entry. Finally managed to replicate a problem we've had in trials when I am a long way away - she ran parallel to the bank when cast back. I called her in, set her up again and walked back to my starting point. Much better that time and I followed it up by sending from my side and then sending, stopping and casting back. Did a few marks on the small hill and finished with a lining drill over water - think I made that too hard as she was a bit confused. Still keen as mustard though which is the main thing, particularly as the water is still cold.

• 4 weeks later...

After all the excitement and fun of our road trip, I have returned home with a tighter (and often simpler!) focus on things I'd like to work on with Em. I also brought back a GSP pup for a friend - she is staying with me for a month so I thought it would be fun to track her progress too.

Em - lots of agility over the last week but took her out for some remote entry work (over splash water) yesterday and then did some left/rights over the same water. Stops and backs were great. Drive was high and she didn't blink the dummies (common for her after trialling on game). The latter exercise was very interesting as it changed the picture and needs more work. She was not entering the water head on.

Sky - lots of experiences including Uni, agility trial and agility training plus all the regular training outings. Recall coming along well - she's still at the "checking in" stage but will recall off my dogs too. Paddled in splash water yesterday and retrieved a few toys and sticks! She also is crashing happily through heavy cover - we'll make a Spaniel of her yet :laugh: She is learning to have time on her own outside and in her crate and offers a sit to move through a door, get access to me or to be fed. She has lots of toys of course and if she brings me anything I tell her how fabulous she is and just stroke her.

Edited by The Spotted Devil