Retrieving & Field Training Talk

Just spent some time at the oval training a few concepts. Started with a double rise and 2 bird - using a pile of dummies (moving further and further away) and throwing the 2 bird progressively closer and closer. At no point did I let her pick up the 2 bird but she kept a VERY close eye on it. Took a break and did a set up that resembled a double fall. A pile of dummies with Em in a sit facing me. Threw dummies progressively closer to her and then sent her back. Ended with 2 dummies thrown very close and she nailed it. Went back to the double rise/2 bird set up and she was spot on. On the last one (pretty tight angle), she delivered the first dummy, I called her to heel and she started eyeing off the 2 bird. I quietly gave her the double rise command and her head snapped around quickly to face the correct dummy. I was really blown away! Next step will be to extend it out with the Bumper Boy and hand thrown game.....THAT will be tempting!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodness I've been slack in this thread - still training lots and think I finally cracked the concept of a double rise combined with a double fall - still needs proofing though. Double rise and 2 bird is a bit easier.

Went to 2 days of the Easter trial in Sale and it was very tough cover for such a small dog. Em did ok on the Saturday despite bombing out on the 2nd run. 1st run was a "simple" double memory mark with a lot of dogs not seeing the first mark - made life difficult especially with the wind dragging the scent of the second mark in the dogs' face! Em raced out for the second mark when I sent her but screamed to a halt in expectation of a double fall (damn training!) I let her be and she realised that nothing was coming so took off again and picked it up. The 2nd run was interesting to say the least - there was a lot of scent around as it's duck season and she could not get her nose off the ground! Consequently missed the walk up mark completely. Picked up the short blind (feather) fairly easily but it was a very tight line and angle to the long blind (fur). Ended up running out of whistles due to all the suction (cover and feather) and they tell me she was within 2 metres of the blind but just did not get a whiff.

Sunday we bombed on the first run. She watched the 2 marks really well and I lined her up for the long blind (splitting the marks). She took off beautifully but suctioned into the marks. In addition the cover was so heavy that she was struggling to find a way through and thus run a straight line. She was over correcting and it was a tight line so she began to lose confidence with all the stopping. Once the run was finished I did several long hot blinds in the heavy cover - while she did them no problem I could see how difficult it was for her. I was exhausted walking through it! Borrowed a couple of bits of game and ran the blind for the 2nd and 3rd runs which was great training as there was a lot of scent around from the previously thrown marks. Really fun weekend despite getting up at 3.30am to get there in time for vetting on Saturday and put my tent up. I took Zig as well and he had a hoot sprinting flat out at every opportunity. Lots of mud too!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question... I am a newbie when it comes to retrieving work. I did a bit of mucking around retrieving with Rams when he was about 8 months old, he is 8yrs old now and we have just done obedience work not retrieving. I am getting a Field Spaniel in 2 weeks, he is 8 months old and I am very excited to have my first main registered gundog! :laugh: I am wanting to get into retrieving with him, where do I start?

I have bought a fur covered bumper and white Avery bumper that floats and know the basics of starting to get them to retrieve and hold and give etc just dont know enough to keep going.

I have a question... I am a newbie when it comes to retrieving work. I did a bit of mucking around retrieving with Rams when he was about 8 months old, he is 8yrs old now and we have just done obedience work not retrieving. I am getting a Field Spaniel in 2 weeks, he is 8 months old and I am very excited to have my first main registered gundog! :laugh: I am wanting to get into retrieving with him, where do I start?

I have bought a fur covered bumper and white Avery bumper that floats and know the basics of starting to get them to retrieve and hold and give etc just dont know enough to keep going.

How exciting!!!

I admire the Fieldies from afar. The are on my list for 'later on' when I can focus more time and money on retrieving. :)

I'm sure you'll get heaps of advice.

I have one of Bill Hillman's dvds - haven't watched it all but I like his presentation style and find it easy to follow.

Cool - thanks FHRP - was hoping you'd pop your head in!

Must have photos and updates please spoilt spaniel lab :D

I had fun with Miss Feral tonight….the trialling scene is quiet at the moment (field season) so I've been focussing on agility and, whilst she really enjoys it, it just doesn't seem to satisfy her. So I'm back to working on lining at the moment and I took her somewhere different to train and stretched out the distance…..laid out several piles (1-2 dummies each) in a straight line and then lined her up at an angle so she had to run past 2 piles to get to the 3rd pile. Did it from both angles and she was holding her line so much better by the end. She was still off her nut so I finished off with a heap of hand thrown single marks, leaving her in a sit and walking out - changed up the distances, angles, arc etc and she did pretty well. A beautiful 2.5km walk with both dogs around the local lake and Em couldn't resist a dip - on leash unfortunately for her otherwise she would have been out in the middle chasing down the local birdlife!

A5AA5832-6CE8-4237-A341-C5688DB1295B_zpsyzy2bkth.jpg

B0B7FC44-2477-4D4F-A337-C77B21EABE8A_zpshc8u85uf.jpg

Edited by The Spotted Devil

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I better update this thread! Training wise I've been doing lots of lining work as that is our real weakness. I'm having her pick up a line of white dummies on an angle so she has to run past some dummies to pick up another - mixing up order, distance, angle and cover. The other fun one is doing a wagon wheel type exercise where she has to run through and past 2 white dummies to pick up the black dummy further out. Very hard but we are taking it slowly. She was so frustrated the other day that she yipped in my ear LOUDLY as if to say if you don't want THAT white one or THE OTHER white one what the hell DO you want??? :laugh:

The weekend just gone I was privileged to be invited to a friend's place for a relaxed day of rough shooting. The first time Em has been shot over and she did really well. Started by running her with a GSP in a big paddock but that was just encouraging her to quarter and hunt too far from the guns so I ended up working on her own. We put her in a scrubby paddock with saplings, bushes and some rougher terrain and she really improved. Didn't have any finds in the morning. After a break we went out again and I sent her in the other side of a fence as we were pretty sure we had a runner in there. Em blew me away. Worked the area beautifully, picked up the scent and had a lovely find and flush. I was using the lighter whistle so she didn't recognise the stop whistle until I switched whistles so not a clean stop to flush. No retrieve for her (it flew off to another handler/gun) but that little bit of success was enough to tap into her genetic memory and she "got it". I've still got a grin on my face at the memory :D

Hey Rubystar I have my boy retrieving like a bullet I am hoping to get some books on Retrieval and go to some training in Sydney but OMG everything is so far away. Probably shouldn't complain given the distance you WA people travel hey :) He is coming along with his healing and general obedience too and only 12 months old - very happy with Kupa puppy :) :thumbsup: Are there any book you can recommend.

post-27124-0-52728000-1402614594_thumb.jpg

post-27124-0-69147500-1402614756_thumb.jpg

Hi tapau, we had trials in Harden last weekend, wouldn't have been too far a drive for you? They will be there again in September and also canberra in September if you are interested?

Glad to hear Em and yourself are still hard at it TSD. They are so funny when they are trying to talk to you. I would love to go rough shooting, hoping it will happen in a month or so, just waiting for a few birds to arrive, not sure where they are all at at the moment! How much fun for you both!!

Novice is so hard to win at the moment, a few 2nds 3rds and consistently finishing, so I'm just going to keep up for training for restricted and hopefully enter both in September. We are on hold for a week, I came home the other afternoon to a very sore dog, I think he has hurt his back, so after a trip to the vet for some pain killers and a few days of rest he is now jumping out of his skin it's scarey! I'm worried he will hurt himself more. Anyway a few months now between trials to prepare.

Hi tapau, we had trials in Harden last weekend, wouldn't have been too far a drive for you? They will be there again in September and also canberra in September if you are interested?

Glad to hear Em and yourself are still hard at it TSD. They are so funny when they are trying to talk to you. I would love to go rough shooting, hoping it will happen in a month or so, just waiting for a few birds to arrive, not sure where they are all at at the moment! How much fun for you both!!

Novice is so hard to win at the moment, a few 2nds 3rds and consistently finishing, so I'm just going to keep up for training for restricted and hopefully enter both in September. We are on hold for a week, I came home the other afternoon to a very sore dog, I think he has hurt his back, so after a trip to the vet for some pain killers and a few days of rest he is now jumping out of his skin it's scarey! I'm worried he will hurt himself more. Anyway a few months now between trials to prepare.

Oh Rubyroo that would be fantastic I would be very interested can you PM me any contact details - is there anyone in the Central West I can spend some time with to get an idea of what to do and how to focus my training I would appreciate some help :)

Hey Rubystar I have my boy retrieving like a bullet I am hoping to get some books on Retrieval and go to some training in Sydney but OMG everything is so far away. Probably shouldn't complain given the distance you WA people travel hey :) He is coming along with his healing and general obedience too and only 12 months old - very happy with Kupa puppy :) :thumbsup: Are there any book you can recommend.

post-27124-0-52728000-1402614594_thumb.jpg

post-27124-0-69147500-1402614756_thumb.jpg

Hi Tapua, your boy is :love:

I have given retrieving a break, actually, most of my dog training/trialling has taken a break lately since starting uni. I won't be much help in the way of books, but I'm sure others will! Have a read back through this thread if you get the chance, you might pick up some good tips and resources :)

Can't wait to see how you guys go with your training :) I will get back to retrieving one day, most likely with my next dog. Which I'm kind of sad about, but life happens! I have Ruby entered in the upcoming RATG in open but haven't trained in about a year, so not expecting anything. Just giving her a morning out and supporting the RATG :)

Hi retrieving people,

I'm thinking of entering a RATG... I've read the rules a few times but it's not the same as seeing one. Does anyone have a video that I can have a look at?

It will be at the Orchard Hills facility in Sydney, which I've never been to... so any tips about the venue would also be appreciated. :)

Thanks!

Hi retrieving people,

I'm thinking of entering a RATG... I've read the rules a few times but it's not the same as seeing one. Does anyone have a video that I can have a look at?

It will be at the Orchard Hills facility in Sydney, which I've never been to... so any tips about the venue would also be appreciated. :)

Thanks!

Welcome Misteri! Unfortunately I can't give you any specific advice about the venue - but the thing about the tests is that they can vary quite a bit so it is important that your dog can retrieve across varying distances, terrain, cover and water. Do you have any training groups near you? Or let us know what training you have done thus far.

We haven't done much training apart from obedience stuff. The heelwork and recall should be easy enough. We have been practicing retrieves of up to 40-60m but they have all been pretty straightforward and in short grass. I really need to find myself someone to throw the dummies for me! I have been looking around but am struggling to find anywhere with large patches of rougher terrain.

I don't know of any training groups around me, unfortunately. There is a gundog club in the ACT but it doesn't seem like it's very active.

My Toller doesn't do water yet... so I have my fingers crossed that the RATG won't include water!