Poor Roxy

Donna

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the RSPCA didn't want to be open to often justifiable scrutiny then the news article should have been more explanatory. Its not about being trendy to bash the organisation, their public image and reputation for apathy has been self inflicted.

Chronic flea dematitis should not be cited as a reason for euthanasia. Remove the fleas, treat the sores and it ceases to be an issue. I have seen animals if far worse condition that have survived well. I have also seen animals brought in for exam and not given any nutrition straight away.

Of course the owner is at fault, I felt she deserved at least a chance after such a rotten time, but sadly for her no-one else did given the contents of the article

Donna

If the RSPCA didn't want to be open to often justifiable scrutiny then the news article should have been more explanatory.

Well take it up with Ms Taylor from The West Australian. She's the journo who wrote the article, not the rspca.

If you are the treating veterinarian who examined the dog, then your assessment of the case it valid. If you were the former owner of this dog, you have some first hand input.

Otherwise, you are only making assumptions based on one article that is short of detail on her diagnosis.

if the RSPCA were actually pro animal I would not question the decision but their track record is left wanting.

The article makes no mention of temperament or any health issue, maybe it should have, but then, if there were no lasting health issues or temperament problems identified she could have been rehabilitated?

From neglectful home, to vet clinic, to death, that does not sit well with me at all. I'll wager she never even got a meal or flea bath whilst she was being quickly evaluated and quickly condemned

Donna

Tend to agree with this. And if the dog had such a horrible neglectful owner, I think it deserves a second chance and if that takes time, so be it.

I know some wont agree and I am not going to argue the point

Yes and perhaps she was aggressive but the journo didn't want to write about that because it might stop people being so sympathetic to the dog? Who bloody knows. All I know is that my local RSPCA do a brilliant job. They rehome old dogs, bull breed dogs, dogs with special needs, etc and the staff are great. Stop tarring every RSPCA with the same brush.

Annie, believe it or not, some people have first-hand experience and knowledge about rescue situations and just because you don't like it, doesn't mean its not true.

I think it deserves a second chance and if that takes time, so be it.

I'm not sure if you've read the thread and the article but Roxy's only second chance is at rainbow bridge - she's dead. Thank her lousy owner.

I agree that the owner is to blame . . . but I also suspect there are half a dozen . . . or more . . . people who watched the neglect and did nothing. Passive observers are not without blame. It's hard to get rid of negligent owners . . . but good if someone intervenes before the neglect becomes a matter of life or death for the poor animal.