When Is The Blood Loss Just Too Much?

Bokezu

Sienna whelped Thursday night Friday morning, has had the normal blood loss since then. Today I got home at 2pm, and she had lost quite a lot of blood in patches on the vet bed.

I changed the vet bed and got her up for a while, she was still seeping while up, more than the normal that I'm used to, but wondering because such a big litter would that cause more blood loss? Her mum and nan both had loss up to 8 weeks post whelp, but not this much. She is eating, but is quite picky with her food.

Is she just loosing it all at once or should I be concerned? She is still seeping now she is back in the whelping box...its bright red but sticky....what do you think? its just that its more blood than I have seen with my previous two litters.......anyone able to ease my mind?

Sienna whelped Thursday night Friday morning, has had the normal blood loss since then. Today I got home at 2pm, and she had lost quite a lot of blood in patches on the vet bed.

I changed the vet bed and got her up for a while, she was still seeping while up, more than the normal that I'm used to, but wondering because such a big litter would that cause more blood loss? Her mum and nan both had loss up to 8 weeks post whelp, but not this much. She is eating, but is quite picky with her food.

Is she just loosing it all at once or should I be concerned? She is still seeping now she is back in the whelping box...its bright red but sticky....what do you think? its just that its more blood than I have seen with my previous two litters.......anyone able to ease my mind?

Did you get 11 placenta's??

Did she have oxy after finishing??

Is she on Ab's??

Could have retained products, bright red suggest fresh blood, which can be retained products and/or infection.

yes 11 placenta's, no oxytocin or AB......def the vet tomorrow as my vet not open tonight only call out emergency, its not an emergency but hope she eases off soon :cheer:

Edited by Bokezu

Bokezu glad to hear that the discharge has settled down. Hoping all is OK.

I have had a bitch with a heavy discharge for some time after, a large litter and oxytocin was used along with an AntiB shot. Nothing wrong at all but her previous litter of the same size she did not discharge as heavy? Go figure they sure do give us a worry at times. :thumbsup:

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

Just had a mad rush to the vet with Sienna. She had a good morning with very little blood loss, got up for a while and had a really good breakfast and then a good mid morning feast, so good as it has taken a while for her appetite to com back. She was in the box feeding the pups when I came back after leaving her for 10 mins and her head was shaking!!!!! :thumbsup: scared the **** out of me, I shook her and she came out of it for a minute then started doing it again! just a funny little tremble. So gave her a squirt of calcium and straight to the vet.

When we got to the vet she seemed ok but started loosing quite a bit of blood again.

Tested her platelet count which was good, her calcium level which was normal, but vet said that could be because I gave her the calcium syrup. Had a good feel of her tummy, not sore.

Vet thinks it was prob low calcium and also she prob has an infection or trauma inside, so antibiotics and rest, calcium supp, and close eye on her for a while. phew that was scary! would not give vit k injection as her blood is clotting and she doesn't need it, although I would have prefered to have one, I can't argue with a vet.

Just had a mad rush to the vet with Sienna. She had a good morning with very little blood loss, got up for a while and had a really good breakfast and then a good mid morning feast, so good as it has taken a while for her appetite to com back. She was in the box feeding the pups when I came back after leaving her for 10 mins and her head was shaking!!!!! :thumbsup: scared the **** out of me, I shook her and she came out of it for a minute then started doing it again! just a funny little tremble. So gave her a squirt of calcium and straight to the vet.

When we got to the vet she seemed ok but started loosing quite a bit of blood again.

Tested her platelet count which was good, her calcium level which was normal, but vet said that could be because I gave her the calcium syrup. Had a good feel of her tummy, not sore.

Vet thinks it was prob low calcium and also she prob has an infection or trauma inside, so antibiotics and rest, calcium supp, and close eye on her for a while. phew that was scary! would not give vit k injection as her blood is clotting and she doesn't need it, although I would have prefered to have one, I can't argue with a vet.

I know how scared you would have been as it happened to one of our Pugs Matilda after having a litter of 8. She had two seizures within a few hours of giving birth which also looked like she was shaking her head and fell sideways (both times she was feeding the puppies).

Of course it was Sunday night. She didn't seem quite right and we slept in the lounge that night to watch her. She was laying outside of the whelping box on the floor and at one stage wet herself.

First thing in the morning we rushed her to the vet where they administered calcium under the skin and orally. It certainly saved her life but she did have a lot of problems with the injection site in the weeks to come. We also had to give her Troy calcium syrup at least 4 times a day and feed the puppies by hand for the next 24 hours.

Good luck and I hope she is feeling better soon. I know she will be but it is still scary.

Bokezu glad to hear that the discharge has settled down. Hoping all is OK.

I have had a bitch with a heavy discharge for some time after, a large litter and oxytocin was used along with an AntiB shot. Nothing wrong at all but her previous litter of the same size she did not discharge as heavy? Go figure they sure do give us a worry at times. :thumbsup:

Exactly the same thing happened to me with my last litter - Sophie continued bleeding for several days - I took her to the vet after 2 days but everything was fine - she settled down about day 3 (was a litter of 11)

I know how scared you would have been as it happened to one of our Pugs Matilda after having a litter of 8. She had two seizures within a few hours of giving birth which also looked like she was shaking her head and fell sideways (both times she was feeding the puppies).

Of course it was Sunday night. She didn't seem quite right and we slept in the lounge that night to watch her. She was laying outside of the whelping box on the floor and at one stage wet herself.

First thing in the morning we rushed her to the vet where they administered calcium under the skin and orally. It certainly saved her life but she did have a lot of problems with the injection site in the weeks to come. We also had to give her Troy calcium syrup at least 4 times a day and feed the puppies by hand for the next 24 hours.

Good luck and I hope she is feeling better soon. I know she will be but it is still scary.

yes very scary, glad I had the calcium on hand. I have been giving her around 15 -20 mls a day as she won't drink any of the yummy shakes I've been making her, and only likes mostly meat, steak and eggs but also wings and necks, oh and bought her home a roast chook yesterday and thats all gone, so not doing too bad, she won't even touch any puppy food. Also these puppies are real pigs!! and there are 11 of them, just constantly nursing.....where do you buy Troy calcium syrup? I have the one sold by Whelping supplies, must order some more

I bought it at the vets and I think I have bought some off ebay which was quite reasonable and convenient if not needed straight away. It is so sweet I think Matilda was sick of it after 8 weeks but she would take it and smile.

A big litter is such a drain on them so 20 mls a day is great to prevent the drop again. Let her eat whatever she likes. At least you know she is getting some energy.

Sit down and put your feet up tonight as it sounds like the past couple of days have been stressful.

Edited by Puglodge

I use sandoz which I get from a shop in Thornbury, Salce.

I went to heaps of chemists last week trying to buy sandoz, couldn't get it anywhere, so ordered the one from whelping supplies and it just arrived on Thursday, a few hours before delivery. I have just ordered some Troy cal syrup online, oh and some lovely big raised centre puppy dishes from peperone :thumbsup: