Strange Behaviour

kirsty79

Hi Leanne,

I am so so sorry to hear about your old girl. I can't begin to imagine how terrible it must be for you. I can't even stand to think about losing one of my two - it has me in tears every time. I know the time will come, but if I am brutally honest, I don't know how I will cope, I'm just not that strong. I know I will be a mess.

I can't offer any comforting advice as I haver never been in your situation, just know that you are in my thoughts and prayers at this very difficult time.

I'm so sorry Leanne. Mine is blind, deaf, full of cancer, has dementia and is losing weight and feeling bony with loose skin despite having increased her food intake. But she is still full of beans so we'll continue on until she isn't. The vet has told me once she goes downhill it will be a very quick deterioration. I'm trying not to think about it at all until the time comes.

This is a time I have been dreading for the past couple of years. I was hoping she would go peacefully in her sleep.

The kids are on holidays as of next week and have asked me to wait till then so they can say goodbye with me.

a couple pics of Gemma

gemma10yrsold-1.jpg

gemma10yrsold.jpg

Puppysniffer you old girl is gorgeous :cry:

Leanne

ps sorry to high jack the thread

Hi Leanne,

I am so so sorry to hear about your old girl. I can't begin to imagine how terrible it must be for you. I can't even stand to think about losing one of my two - it has me in tears every time. I know the time will come, but if I am brutally honest, I don't know how I will cope, I'm just not that strong. I know I will be a mess.

I can't offer any comforting advice as I haver never been in your situation, just know that you are in my thoughts and prayers at this very difficult time.

I'm so sorry Leanne. Mine is blind, deaf, full of cancer, has dementia and is losing weight and feeling bony with loose skin despite having increased her food intake. But she is still full of beans so we'll continue on until she isn't. The vet has told me once she goes downhill it will be a very quick deterioration. I'm trying not to think about it at all until the time comes.

This is a time I have been dreading for the past couple of years. I was hoping she would go peacefully in her sleep.

The kids are on holidays as of next week and have asked me to wait till then so they can say goodbye with me.

a couple pics of Gemma

gemma10yrsold-1.jpg

gemma10yrsold.jpg

Puppysniffer you old girl is gorgeous :cry:

Leanne

ps sorry to high jack the thread

Leanne - Gemma is beautiful!! Got to agree with puppy-sniffer - no botox for Gemma, those droopy wrinkles are gorgeous!

Fred (my other younger dog) is a basset hound. They are my weakness :cry:

No need to apologise for hijacking the thread!! - it's good to know other golden oldies with problems have made it to such a fantastic age. It gives me hope that Jess is just perhaps having a bad time at the moment but will continue to be in our lives for a lot longer. She is booked in to the vets for 6.30pm tomorrow. Paws crossed

I've had 3 dogs with dementia (I foster/adopt oldies usually). A girl I adopted 2 years ago is now over 12 yrs of age. Suddenly, 2 weeks ago, she started acting differently. She's always been the first when she hears anything rattle in the kitchen. she's always been devoted to me and been right near me when I'm home.

This has all changed. I start getting the snacks out the cupboard or preparing the dogs' dinner and she's nowhere to be found. I go looking (after calling her and getting no response) and she's sitting in my room just facing the wall. Generally she's to be found sitting or lying in odd places. She's been doing some other strange things and I'm 100% sure it's dementia. She's only just been to the vet for some other tests and results were fine.

So sad and best to check with the vet, there may be something they can do about the incontinence. All the best.

Kirsty my sister has been feeding all the dogs the last 2 days as I have had some long working days. I just realised this morning that she had run out of the dementia meds, apparently 2 days ago. As of this morning my old girl just keeps peeing everywhere and not making any effort to go outside. And she keeps licking at the pee as well (which is how I keep discovering it) so the meds definately do make a difference and I will be picking up more this arvo. As it is also raining here and she hates rain I'll be keeping nappies on her until the meds kick in again.

Kirsty my sister has been feeding all the dogs the last 2 days as I have had some long working days. I just realised this morning that she had run out of the dementia meds, apparently 2 days ago. As of this morning my old girl just keeps peeing everywhere and not making any effort to go outside. And she keeps licking at the pee as well (which is how I keep discovering it) so the meds definately do make a difference and I will be picking up more this arvo. As it is also raining here and she hates rain I'll be keeping nappies on her until the meds kick in again.

Good to know they make a difference :o

Hope your girl is feeling better soon :)

Vets tonight, and I'm absolutely petrified of what they might tell me....... Jessies old age has hit quick I think. We have been using joint guard for the past 4 months but last night she was really struggling to get up, it was heartbreaking. I know the rain is making it worse.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can make her more comfortable? I don't know if the joint guard is making any difference, it doesn't appear to be, and no matter what kind of expensive bed we buy her, she insists on sleeping on the cold kitchen lino!

So, went to the vets last night, she basically said she didn't know what was wrong. She didn't even offer to do any tests or anything. She just felt Jess over and said maybe she is acting odd because her arthritis is bad. She has given us some painkillers and said if no improvement in a few days to go back and then they'll look at the medication for dementia.

Surely there are tests??? It can't just be complete guesswork???

I've come away with no further clue as to what is wrong with Jess and just alot lighter in the money department :eek: