Ute Cages

julzjc

Evening Everyone. I need to buy/build a Ute cage for our Ford XR6, OH can weld so DIY links would be great or places to buy one around Sydney (pref cheaper than the $500+ that Ive been quoted so far :) ). It needs to be lightweight enough for one person to put in/take out of the Ute and able to fit an Amstaff and Sibe WITH a dividing barrier. It does not have to be majorly sun proofed as it is only really for our 5am beach trips, we are back by 7am. Indie has only recently started going to the beach with OH and Bonnie but having a soaking wet, sand covered Sibe really isnt doing the family car any favours :D . I have a liner in the back of my car but Indie is still managing to get his sandy,wet hair absolutly everywhere....the joys of owning a Sibe that has discovered swimming and rolling in wet sand ;) .

Here's a great DIY build along by someone on Dol a while ago, http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?s=&a...t&p=3587971

:laugh: Perfect GT, exactly what I was looking for. The OH loves making things and the thought of paying $500 for something he can make for $150, he wasnt very keen on. Thankyou.

Thanks for the other links guys, they are great cages but the quotes I got from them were a bit on the high side.

Guest bigdogg

Alloy is the only way to go..

Its more expensive, but heaps lighter and looks great..

Ill try and remember to take a photo of mine..

I have 4 compartments. All the doors are removable. I have tarps that are press studded to go on all doors and all over the cage. I also have a slide for my engel fridge. My cage was $2000 though.. But worth it.. Pram, fridge, dogs and gear can all fit in..

There are more and more hunters getting around with flash cages on the back.

Alloy is the only way to go..

Its more expensive, but heaps lighter and looks great..

Ill try and remember to take a photo of mine..

I have 4 compartments. All the doors are removable. I have tarps that are press studded to go on all doors and all over the cage. I also have a slide for my engel fridge. My cage was $2000 though.. But worth it.. Pram, fridge, dogs and gear can all fit in..

There are more and more hunters getting around with flash cages on the back.

:confused: Pics are a must!

If your OH is a bit handy then a neat, light cage can be made from the security door mesh (second hand doors etc) and some angle. Use the angle to screw it together and cover the edges. Door made the same and hinges to attach it can be screwed on easily

Like this mesh..

post-22844-1292507500_thumb.jpg

Can pick these up from salvage joints usually

My cage is over the whole tray using steel tubing and mesh, welded and painted, with a full canvas canopy over it with zip up sides

these are some pics of my set up in the back of my ute...

The original cage.. i added a false floor which allows for some storage :confused:))

utecage.jpg

Buddy Testing out .. oh and i have added Marine Carpet for comfort :laugh: I have the 3 girls in this cage now...

utecage2.jpg

then because i have added a few more dogs... needed some more cages... i built these myself...

utecage3.jpg

can still let the dogs out without putting the sides down...

utecage4.jpg

from the back...

utecgae5.jpg

then because i thought it was a necessity a water tank :mad

waterfoirute.jpg

Edited by bordacollies4me