Behaviourist/trainer Recommendation For North-west Sydney?

corvus

My friend has just brought a newborn baby home and one of her two dogs apparently finds the baby intensely exciting. Lots of people are telling her she will have to get rid of the dog(s) or get Bark Busters in or scruff and pin the dog and all sorts of horrifying advice. She doesn't want to rehome the dogs, but is having a hard time coping and is happy to pay for a professional to come and help her with the dogs.

Thanks, I did end up recommending her. It's a bit more serious than I first thought. The dog is trying to prevent mum from going to pick up her baby when she's set him down somewhere. Apparently this is an established behaviour they have always just lived with, but obviously they can't this time. I haven't heard back from my friend. I don't know if that's good news or bad news. :(

Steve from K9 Pro offers a specific course designed for when people bring their baby home, although it sounds like your friend may require an emergency consult if the problem is that serious.

We saw Steve just after we had our baby, I think she was six weeks old at the time. We have two dogs and he helped enormously. I would recommend him too.

Steve from K9 Pro offers a specific course designed for when people bring their baby home, although it sounds like your friend may require an emergency consult if the problem is that serious.

Yes I know, and yes it's a little late for the bringing a baby home course. :grimace: I'm hoping she called one (or all) of the people I told her to try and managed to get in with someone straight away. We can live in hope.

Yes I know, and yes it's a little late for the bringing a baby home course. :) I'm hoping she called one (or all) of the people I told her to try and managed to get in with someone straight away. We can live in hope.

I think you'll find that it's not. Have you seen the content of his course? I haven't, but if it is anything like some of the information that I provide to my clients, it is good for even after baby has come home and even into the toddler phase. But it is ideal to begin before problems arise, as is always the case with anything.

That aside, your friend's situation sounds too serious to leave it up to only a "distance course" and like the others, I would highly recommend and urge your friend to arrange a consult with Steve. I don't know of others in NSW to be able to recommend for this type of service. I don't think NSW have as many experienced behaviourists as Melbourne does.

I don't think NSW have as many experienced behaviourists as Melbourne does.

That must be because NDTF is based in Melbourne. :)

I've done all I can. I gave her a list of people that I think are worth trying. :) Still haven't heard back from her. I imagine that is bad news for the little dog one way or another. :mad

I would suggest you are right :).

Yes - you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. I learnt (the hard way) that people need to want to fix their doggy problems for anyone to be able to help them. At least you've put your hand out with the information so there's no doubt they now know there are people out there who can help. The next step is up to them. Hope it is one that favours both child and dog.

I work with Joanne's husband. Joanne has helped me in the past so I can personally suggest her. She also has enough degrees that Corvus should be happy.

I would also suggest strongly that dogs and baby and kept apart until help.

She also has enough degrees that Corvus should be happy.

I was just going to let that one go, but you know what, it is an unfair comment and I don't know if you realise that. Honestly, I find it quite rude to not only ignore something I have repeatedly stated ABOUT MYSELF, but to persist in misrepresenting my thoughts on it. :laugh:: Now you know how annoyed it makes me I'll know next time you do it you're trying to aggravate me. If I was most concerned about degrees I would not have asked here at all, would I? There is no shortage of animal behaviourists with advanced degrees in my life.

She also has enough degrees that Corvus should be happy.

I was just going to let that one go, but you know what, it is an unfair comment and I don't know if you realise that. Honestly, I find it quite rude to not only ignore something I have repeatedly stated ABOUT MYSELF, but to persist in misrepresenting my thoughts on it. :laugh:: Now you know how annoyed it makes me I'll know next time you do it you're trying to aggravate me. If I was most concerned about degrees I would not have asked here at all, would I? There is no shortage of animal behaviourists with advanced degrees in my life.

What is your problem? You said that you liked trainers to have degrees. I found you one that had the qualifications that you like.

My problem is I wasn't asking for a behaviourist with degrees. I was asking for a professional that I could recommend to my friend. If I intended to only recommend people with degrees to my friend I never would have asked here. I am protesting to the assumption that a) I need to be happy with someone I recommend to my friend and b) I am only happy if someone has enough degrees. Regardless of whether that was the message you were aiming for or not, that is one way to interpret it. I let things go and pretty soon apparently I'm someone I'm not.

I'm not attacking you, I just feel offended and want to make it clear. It's not like that. I just want someone who can actually help my friend. I'm worried we only get one shot. What kind of person would I be if I didn't pass on the names of people that might be able to help because of some ridiculously high standards I supposedly have? I don't like the implications. As far as I know a dog's life is at stake and I really just care about giving it the best shot at making it. It's very upsetting, but I guess it happens everyday.

Anyway, as I said, I did suggest Joanne, along with some other people. Heard her talk at the NDTF conference, and had her recommended by people in the know as well. By all accounts she is worth it.

Sorry, angry hat off, now.