Whelping At Shows

Nevafollo

Well I find it interesting that no one has responded to this one.

I personaly think it's disgusting, your priorities are %$%&

I hope you got the ribbon you were after.

Probably because everyone has already stated how they feel about the topic in general...no one feels the need to single any one person out :grimace:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we all have differing opinions on this topic. But I have known of breeders/exhibitors whelping bitches at shows and on the way to shows, once upon a time they did it on a regular basis, because they couldn't miss a show :grimace:

But others go to the other extreme, can't do this can't do that, won't let said people come here while we have puppies, hello parvo is also air born virus as well.

these people who claim this and that should perhaps respect others choices and look very carefully at their own practices.

Can't say I'd be at a show with a bitch if there was any chance she'd be whelping, but maybe they got their dates wrong?

I agree

I agree as well. Whelping bitches at shows is terrible and shows a total lack of regard for the bitch and her puppies. Have seen it here "because gee we can't miss a show its our break away when we go to shows". Puppies at shows 3 days old and in a crate next to all the others :)

It still blows me away that someone whould whelp a bitch at a show

When mated our girls go everywhere with us. Not shown after 3 weeks usually, they love outings and going places with us. They really enjoy the social interaction.

I have heard stories of a breeder who took a bitch to a 3 day show in the dog trailer and in the heat and the bitches was heavily pregnant.....discusting is all I can say :)

surely you could either no go or leave the dog comfortable at home with someone watching her? Personally if I had a

bitch close to whelping I would rather be home keeping an eye on her...there are always other shows, wouldn't put my dogs at risk,

At the end of the day dogs can't talk, a sick dog will wag it's tail, will walk in pain just to be with it's owner, most dogs don't complain, it's up to *responsible* adults to make the best decision for the dog and to me going to a dog show wouldn't be on my priority list ;)

No definately not incompetant Angelsun, you are willing to take that risk, I am not. I guess because there is parvo around atm is a bit unsettling. Everyone has different ideas on these things, I don't breed often so I am very careful when I do.

Parvo is always 'around' unfortunately, we get lulled into a false sense of security because we don't hear of cases and think it's not out there, and poof..when we do hear, now it's 'around'.

Hence the reason why there is no point getting bent out of shape about it really....I can bring it home from a dog show, or the supermarket. that is the reality. There is no higher risk at a dog show than a parking lot. Remember, the MAJORITY of the dogs attending shows are fit and healthy and innoculated....the dogs that stroll through the carparks and on the sidewalks may not be so.....where is the bigger potential risk then?

No definately not incompetant Angelsun, you are willing to take that risk, I am not. I guess because there is parvo around atm is a bit unsettling. Everyone has different ideas on these things, I don't breed often so I am very careful when I do.

Parvo is always 'around' unfortunately, we get lulled into a false sense of security because we don't hear of cases and think it's not out there, and poof..when we do hear, now it's 'around'.

Hence the reason why there is no point getting bent out of shape about it really....I can bring it home from a dog show, or the supermarket. that is the reality. There is no higher risk at a dog show than a parking lot. Remember, the MAJORITY of the dogs attending shows are fit and healthy and innoculated....the dogs that stroll through the carparks and on the sidewalks may not be so.....where is the bigger potential risk then?

And of course whenever you go to the vet...... Even if you have a vet come out who knows what their last patient had!

And of course whenever you go to the vet...... Even if you have a vet come out who knows what their last patient had!

yes the vet would be the worst place to take mum or babies, but sometimes its unavoidable, but only if you have to. I realise parvo is everywhere, I just take a few precautions thats all, I respect other breeders who don't feel the need to do that, they obviously have had a lot more litters than me. I'm careful but not pedantic ;)

Probably because everyone has already stated how they feel about the topic in general...no one feels the need to single any one person out :eek:

:wave: Rightio......that would be a new one for DOL and show people.

Probably because everyone has already stated how they feel about the topic in general...no one feels the need to single any one person out ;)

:eek: Rightio......that would be a new one for DOL and show people.

:wave: for all things new :D

Edited by Aziah