Minimum Breeding Age For Bitches - Ankc 2010

SwaY

This mentions Bitches and not Dogs.

From the 2010 ANKC Summary - SUMMARY OF THE ANKC CONFERENCE HELD IN SYDNEY

ON 15TH TO 17TH OCTOBER, 2010

1.15 ANKC Regulations Part 6, Section 8, Clause 8.2 - Minimum Breeding Age for Bitches

Delegates resolved that the ANKC have a minimum breeding age for bitches across all breeds

of 12 months at the time of mating. This regulation is not intended to reduce minimum age

requirement for breeding set out in the Code of Ethics of Member Bodies and the Rules of

National Breed Councils and /or Breed Clubs.

So if you breed is not listed, (I think every State has different breeding ages for various breeds) the minimum age is 12 months for Bitches.

This mentions Bitches and not Dogs. I'm guessing dogs have no age then?

Edited by SwaY

Don't any of these persons who attend the conference realize that some of the wider scull breeds often were bred on their first season before the bones were set to open these bitches up so that further whelping problems don't occur. Doesn't mean they MAY not have a problem but it sure helped and there were less c sections when they were bred early.

Don't any of these persons who attend the conference realize that some of the wider scull breeds often were bred on their first season before the bones were set to open these bitches up so that further whelping problems don't occur. Doesn't mean they MAY not have a problem but it sure helped and there were less c sections when they were bred early.

Heck I thought that excuse went out with the ark and that they bred them on the first season because they could start to get money out of their breeding as soon as possible.

Anyone in their right mind would refrain from breeding a bitch on her first season. Large head or not.

Does breeding a bitch young actually change her bone structure and increase the size of her pelvis? I wouldn't think so. Her conformation is set from birth. If the head is too big, or the rear of the dog not wide enough to whelp naturally in normal circumstances, the breed needs to be altered and moderated.

I'm not in favour of breeding restrictions as most pedigree breeders make the best decisions for their dogs.