Bones For Puppy

Prag

Every thing raw, chicken wings, legs, lamb flaps with most of the fat cut off. Make sure you watch puppy to see if he actually spends time chewing the bones well & doesn't try & swallow it whole. If I give chicken legs or thighs I usually take off some of the skin as it can cause choking if swallowed whole.

http://rawfed.com/myths/toybreeds.html

Edited by luvsdogs

Every thing raw, chicken wings, legs, lamb flaps with most of the fat cut off. Make sure you watch puppy to see if he actually spends time chewing the bones well & doesn't try & swallow it whole. If I give chicken legs or thighs I usually take off some of the skin as it can cause choking if swallowed whole.

I was wondering what I should try if he does try to eat the bones whole? I can imagine my boy would try that.

I've tried chicken wings before but he was not that successful with it, although it was when he was younger...so I will try that again.

Thanks for your response I appreciate the advice

I was wondering what I should try if he does try to eat the bones whole? I can imagine my boy would try that.

I've tried chicken wings before but he was not that successful with it, although it was when he was younger...so I will try that again.

Thanks for your response I appreciate the advice

We mostly feed our little monster Tonka (5mth old dogue de bordeaux) raw meaty bones and the only thing we have to make sure of is that it's not small enough for him to swallow whole. So with him chicken wings & necks are definitely out. From experience, when Tonka doesn't chew his food enough (greedy guts!) he ends up bringing it up again for a do-over! We've never had a problem with him and bones besides that. Just please stay away from weigh bearing bones as they can chip / break their teeth.

Prag, Hi.!...:)

Tatum copes with chicken wings, knowing my kids the chances of swallowing chicken necks whole is high, so I would probably give those a miss. Lamb flaps are good but I find them too fatty for shelties and although they love them it can leave you with messy pants to clean up. :vomit: .

hows he going?... give him a hug from me...:D

Hi Carmel!

I hope you had a lovely Christmas. I will try the chicken wings then and see how he goes. Thanks for the heads up about the lamb flaps :confused:

Raiden is doing really well he is a very quiet and well mannered dog it is great as we are very similar hahaha except he is much cuter lol!

He constantly gets compliments about how beautiful he is and how he has such a nice temperament.

Is that Tatum as your avatar? If so she is looking absolutely beautiful.

I will send you an email with a picture of him so you can see how the little man is growing :thumbsup:

Hi Carmel!

I hope you had a lovely Christmas. I will try the chicken wings then and see how he goes. Thanks for the heads up about the lamb flaps :p

Raiden is doing really well he is a very quiet and well mannered dog it is great as we are very similar hahaha except he is much cuter lol!

He constantly gets compliments about how beautiful he is and how he has such a nice temperament.

Is that Tatum as your avatar? If so she is looking absolutely beautiful.

I will send you an email with a picture of him so you can see how the little man is growing :)

No Prag, the photo in my avatar is Raiden's Aunty Caitlin (dad's sister) Great, i look forward to getting some pic's of the little man. :)

I recommend for my BC babies:

All Raw of course!!

From 4-5 weeks onward

Chicken necks, frames, wings etc..

Lamb flaps or Lamb Brisket

Once they start to get their adult teeth introduce Beef Brisket or smaller soup bones around 12-14 weeks

Once they have ALL their adult teeth you can introduce marrowbone. I get the butcher to cut mine in 1/4 (Length and down the middle) (Around 6 months)

If you introduce hard bones too early, there is a high chance of them breaking their canine teeth. Not a huge issue, they will go black and look unsightly, but I prefer them to not break them.

ETA: I will cut my chicken necks in half or so if I find at a young age they are swallowing whole.

Edited by Mystiqview

I have an old Papillon with some missing teeth but he handles most bones quiet well. My sister also gives her Shelties chicken necks, wings and carcases without any issues as do I with the Pap. Avoid large weightbearing bones as these are the ones that often break teeth, you want the kind the dog can crush with its teeth. Don't worry if the dog later throws up small splinters of bone, this is not unusual for a dog who's system hasn't yet got use to dealing with bones and they are not in any danger. Always supervise when giving bones and if you have a dog who would rather inhale the bone instead of chewing it, hold the other end to get the dog to slow down and encourage the chewing action.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the wonderful advice! I think I iwll try Chicken Wings again and see how that goes hopefully he will be fine with them. Otherwise I may give lamb brisket a go.

Thanks again

Hi there,

I don't have a Sheltie, but my Ridgeback pup couldn't manage the harder bones in wings until he was a little older. We found he managed the soft bones in chicken frames best, and because they are larger and an awkward shape he spent a lot of time chewing. I would supplement the high bone content in these (about 30%) with raw meat (roo or chicken) to bring the meal down to 10 % bone. I also used to bash the bones in chicken legs & thighs with the back of a knife until he could cope with these as well.

Have fun!