Dogs Fighting

Hi Guys,

I have a problem.

Since moving house my male dog (almost 4 years) is sometimes attacking my female dog (12.5yrs).

He goes off and pins her down on the ground.

Sometimes when I am cooking in the kitchen and she comes near, sometimes when she comes near me for a pat and sometimes in the middle of the night for no apparent reason.

When he does this I yell at him, pull him off her by the scruff and put him outside.

I have no idea why he is doing this, this was his first house move. He has always been the dominant one but he has never done this to her before and is not dog aggressive to other dogs. I also have a new partner since moving so not sure if this is also causing jealousy but he does it when my partner is not at home also.

I am expecting my first baby next year so am a little worried.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks.

Hi Guys,

I have a problem.

Since moving house my male dog (almost 4 years) is sometimes attacking my female dog (12.5yrs).

He goes off and pins her down on the ground.

Sometimes when I am cooking in the kitchen and she comes near, sometimes when she comes near me for a pat and sometimes in the middle of the night for no apparent reason.

When he does this I yell at him, pull him off her by the scruff and put him outside.

I have no idea why he is doing this, this was his first house move. He has always been the dominant one but he has never done this to her before and is not dog aggressive to other dogs. I also have a new partner since moving so not sure if this is also causing jealousy but he does it when my partner is not at home also.

I am expecting my first baby next year so am a little worried.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks.

What's best in this case people, a trainer or behaviourist :)

You almost certainly won't punish it effectively, and you run the very real risk of making matters worse by trying I'm afraid.

I'm not sure if you've ever just walked off, but it would be interesting to see what happens and would give a clue about the problem. Obviously if anyone is at risk of being seriously hurt it is better to break them up, but if it's just pinning to the ground then walking off might be your best course of action.

In any case, getting in a behaviourist now would be money well spent. How you handle sudden changes can have a big effect on the situation and a behaviourist will be able to assess your dogs and make informed recommendations.

Don't complicate matters, this person has a serious issue. It does not sound like an issue that would require medication, so a veterinary behaviourist would be sufficient but not necessary.

It isn't funny to poke fun when someone has a serious issue.

To the OP - get a professional in. Sometimes young 'uns attack the oldies because they can sense their decline.

To the OP - get a professional in. Sometimes young 'uns attack the oldies because they can sense their decline.

Agree megan. Changes in/of environment as well as an ageing dog can create an unsettling amongst a pack. The 'attacks' will continue to occur and will generalise so it is best to get someone with experience in multi-dog households and their problems. :)

Edited by Kelpie-i

Hi-

don't get side tracked by the 'in house' comments in your thread..... but please do contact a professional. The lady mentioned is in perth ..and will most likely be able to assist you.

Your old dog does not deserve this ..and she and your young dog need to be made feel secure and settled.

Best of luck with it all...

You almost certainly won't punish it effectively, and you run the very real risk of making matters worse by trying I'm afraid.

I'm not sure if you've ever just walked off, but it would be interesting to see what happens and would give a clue about the problem. Obviously if anyone is at risk of being seriously hurt it is better to break them up, but if it's just pinning to the ground then walking off might be your best course of action.

In any case, getting in a behaviourist now would be money well spent. How you handle sudden changes can have a big effect on the situation and a behaviourist will be able to assess your dogs and make informed recommendations.

Yes, when I pull him off he goes in harder.

I have walked out of the room and called him in a cheery voice and he continues for a short time, then comes after me.

What's best in this case people, a trainer or behaviourist ;)

Agree megan. Changes in/of environment as well as an ageing dog can create an unsettling amongst a pack. The 'attacks' will continue to occur and will generalise so it is best to get someone with experience in multi-dog households and their problems. :)

Yes, the old dog drags her back feet a bit, her sight is not the best and she is quite deaf these days :laugh:

Contact Kathy Koppellis McLeod if you are in Perth- she is an excellent dog trainer with plenty of experience with aggression, anxiety and various other behaviour problems and will be able to assist you.

Unfortuneately Kathy is not available for another month.

Would sterilising my male change his behaviour at all?

Would sterilising my male change his behaviour at all?

No expert ,but if it is testosterone fuelled... it may help..but will take a month or two to have any effect.,I think. :laugh:

I am hoping someone has the name of a reputable professional you can ask..Kathy couldn't give you teh name of someone else?

Neutering at this point in time may make some difference, if hormones are driving some of this behaviour, but it won't be immediate and obviously, the longer this continues to happen, the more entrenched this behavior will become. A couple of suggestions whilst you locate a behaviorist - which I strongly urge you to do - is a) separate (which isn't particularly practical but when you go out and when they are asleep at night, I'd crate him); b) keep him on a house line at all times so you can have control over him; c) obtain a greyhound muzzle and have him wear that so that he cannot hurt your old girl and cannot actually carry through with this behaviour, though he will still be able to push her around physically but at least he won't be able to grab hold of her, which must be extremely distressing for her at her age.

How much has the dogs normal routine been disrupted aside from the move and new partner? Are they getting individual attention from you? Dogs can aslo react to pregnancy in different ways too - it sounds like there is a whole lot going on for him right now and if he has never moved before, he clearly is not coping very well with it all. Increasing his exercise routine **may** help too.

What's best in this case people, a trainer or behaviourist :(

Don't complicate matters, this person has a serious issue. It does not sound like an issue that would require medication, so a veterinary behaviourist would be sufficient but not necessary.

Exactly, the issue is serious and what complicates the situation is the amount of trainers claiming to be behaviourists that haven't undergone any formal study in behavioural sciences is my whole point...............you can't see that Aidan??? You are happy for a self appointed behaviourist to address the OP's situation in hope that the supposed behaviourist recommends the right course of treatment for that particular dog and circumstances :o

What's best in this case people, a trainer or behaviourist :o

Exactly, the issue is serious and what complicates the situation is the amount of trainers claiming to be behaviourists that haven't undergone any formal study in behavioural sciences is my whole point...............you can't see that Aidan???

I have two perspectives. I am currently completing a degree in Behavioural Science and have a great appreciation for what a formal education can bring to a person as a professional, and as a person. But I was competent with behaviour problems like this before I enrolled in university, with no formal qualifications to speak of. Other trainers, vets and former clients were happy to refer this sort of case to me then and now.

Word of mouth will usually find you a competent dog trainer, especially if you ask here. Let's not derail this thread - we're not going to change the situation that currently exists in Australia and this is not the place to discuss it. There is another thread already created for that.