How To Keep Snails Away From Vegie Patch!

baifra

We have just planted vegies in our brand new vegie patch and there are snails everywhere!!

I won't use any commercial snail baits as our family lost a dog to the evil stuff a little while ago.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

Edited by baifra

I just did a quick google search for "dog safe snail killer"(with out the " "'s though) and there are quite a few good ideas :)

Yeah I've done that too but I wanted to ask people here to see what really is effective especially with pets in mind.

We have just planted vegies in our brand new vegie patch and there are snails everywhere!!

I won't use any commercial snail baits as our family lost a dog to the evil stuff a little while ago.

Most basic technique is to go out at night with a torch and pick them off the plants and squish them!

If it's a raised garden bed, you can try the copper tape (one brand name is "Slugga", but there are several) around the perimeter. This also works around pots.

Another one to try is placing used coffee grounds around the perimeter or around the plants. You need lots though - see if you can collect from a workplace or cafe. The caffeine is toxic to them.

Thirdly, they hate travelling over sawdust, so a sawdust perimeter may help stop new ones from joining the party.

Also traps work quite well. You bury them so the lip is level with the soil, and half fill with old beer or vegemite dissolved in water. You can buy traps ready made with lids (work best in rain) or make your own with tin cans or plastic bottles cut up (need to be about 10cm deep). You have to clean then out and put fresh attractant in about every 2 days.

Good luck!!

A duck. That's the best :).

Had a pet duck when I was a kid ("Sir Lance A Luck Van Ducksy"). We actually ran out of snails and I used to go snail hunting in other people's property (with permission) to feed her. Back then hardly anyone used snail bait as almost everyone had a dog.

Most basic technique is to go out at night with a torch and pick them off the plants and squish them!

If it's a raised garden bed, you can try the copper tape (one brand name is "Slugga", but there are several) around the perimeter. This also works around pots.

Another one to try is placing used coffee grounds around the perimeter or around the plants. You need lots though - see if you can collect from a workplace or cafe. The caffeine is toxic to them.

Thirdly, they hate travelling over sawdust, so a sawdust perimeter may help stop new ones from joining the party.

Also traps work quite well. You bury them so the lip is level with the soil, and half fill with old beer or vegemite dissolved in water. You can buy traps ready made with lids (work best in rain) or make your own with tin cans or plastic bottles cut up (need to be about 10cm deep). You have to clean then out and put fresh attractant in about every 2 days.

Good luck!!

Thanks for those tips. I like the coffee idea.

Our vegie patch is raised which may help a little.

A duck. That's the best :).

Had a pet duck when I was a kid ("Sir Lance A Luck Van Ducksy"). We actually ran out of snails and I used to go snail hunting in other people's property (with permission) to feed her. Back then hardly anyone used snail bait as almost everyone had a dog.

I had a good chuckle at Sir Lance A Luck Van Ducksy. We had a Rotty when I was younger called Monsignor McFriab. She was a legend of a dog!!

However I'm not sure how practical the duck idea is :) I believe my Cattle dog may present some problems!! :p

HI

I have not read all replies but I have the same problem and I have cats.

I get the 1 litre milk bottles and cut the top off and then put beer in and also the baits.

The entrance is not big enough for cats to get head in.

Bury the milk bottle in a bit of dirt so snail does not have to slide over sharp side.

IT WORKS!!! I have caught over 70 snails this way and you can just chuck the whole milk bottle. Don't let it sit in the sun for too long.

I did this and the SMELL. Had me dry reaching for 5 mins.

the worst smell you can imagine!

HI

I get the 1 litre milk bottles and cut the top off and then put beer in and also the baits.

Bury the milk bottle in a bit of dirt so snail does not have to slide over sharp side.

IT WORKS!!! I have caught over 70 snails this way and you can just chuck the whole milk bottle. Don't let it sit in the sun for too long.

The other thing is make sure you do this when your dogs are not around.

I do all the snail baiting when cats are locked up and they can't see what I am doing. Also the baits are in a box and the sound of baits is similar to cat food box sound so VERY IMPORTANT to do this when no animals around.

Then I watch the cats and they go and check out the milk bottle baits. The smell of beer is strong and they can't get heads in and they sniff a bit and not interested.

My cats and I know dogs are often interested in what you are doing and might investigate so all sorts of "dangerous" stuff I do when they are not around and then watch them when they first see the milk bottles. Cats completely ignore the bottles now and if a stinky dead snail smell comes from the bottles, who can blame them.

Had good results with this product: http://www.multicrop.com.au/mguard.htm

MSDA: http://www.greenharvest.com.au/pestcontrol...lSlugKiller.pdf

These pellets are smaller than the original green coloured brands, they do tend to go crumbly & tend to dissappear pretty fast. But hey, my dogs wander all over the vegie patches & just ignore them.

Cheers

Chipps

Edited by Chipps

We used the beer traps at the kennel I used to work at - it was brilliant. The kennel owner used to empty the containers in with his ducks afterward and they were still pretty interested in them (when the alcohol had evaporated off them)....we called it drunk duck stew :laugh::laugh: (I'm not sure this method of disposal is recommended but not one duck ever got sick!)

HI

Regardless if you do it when the animals are not around, I would never run the risk of having snail bait around where my cat and dog go. IMO its not worth the risk especially when beer alone will work.

HI

Thanks Annie99.

I'm going to give the beer a go but I think I'll leave the pellets out. Watching my parent's Rottweiler die not long ago from snail bait poisoning was heartbreaking and I will Never go through that again.

We used the beer traps at the kennel I used to work at - it was brilliant. The kennel owner used to empty the containers in with his ducks afterward and they were still pretty interested in them (when the alcohol had evaporated off them)....we called it drunk duck stew :laugh: :D (I'm not sure this method of disposal is recommended but not one duck ever got sick!)

Love It!! :laugh: :laugh:

Edited by baifra