Wanting To Upgrade

SBT101

I have a Canon 1000d which is my first slr but I am now wanting to upgrade to a higher megapixel and with more frames per second.

What I am wanting to do is mainly action shots, (dogs and kids)but some portraits etc also. I have had a look (online) at the 7d which is looking good atm..

Also lenses that would suit what I am wanting to do.

Still wouldn't mind sticking to the Canon but open to all ideas atm :laugh:

Also the best places to buy...

WIlling to spend a bit of money for the right camera :)

Edited by SBT101

At the moment, I have the 55mm and the 75-300. None of them have the is...I bought the lot as a kit. I was thinking of the 50mm is 1.4 or 1.8(dont know which one) and I need one fot those distant shots also. But I want is on both of them.....

The 7d sounds like the one :rofl:

Before spending the extra money work out why you need more frames per second and also consider something like the 550D if you want video. You really do have to be commited to learning to use an SLR bigtime for it to be worth spending the extra for the 7D - many of the extrfa features it has even take a while for those of us who use them every week to learn how to fully appreciate what it can do. The higher pixel is not worth worrying about use you are planning to print somethe literally the size of a house - I have had prints taken on 1000iso on the medium jpeg setting (so roughly same file size as the 40D) enlarged to 12x18 inches without a problem. The frame rate I dont know how the 1000D compares to the other lines but I was taking photos of the big races last autumn with my 350D and although I really missed the luxury of the 40D framerate (which is the equiv I guess of the 60D model) I got by and had what I needed.

Thing is if you get a camera thats too complex you eventually lose interest so if you do decide the 7D has things you cannot do without that the 60d or 550 dont have please get an addition handbook such as the magic lantern guide to help explain the settings on the camera. I did and I take photos of sports action every single week and found that the guide did explain a few things more than the manual did.

Thankyou for all of your advice. I do already have a video recorder so dont really need a camera with vid also. I have read alot of positive feedback about the 7d, thats why I am mainly interested in that one in particular. I love taking action shots of the kids(2 and 4 legged) and also have been taking some photos of my niece showing her horses and well, my 1000d just doesn't cut it.