Walking/exercising Dogs In The Hot Weather

shells

4am walks. No one else about, temp isnt too hot, really nice when the birds start waking up. Ofcourse it only works if you're a morning person.

This. Best time to be out walking. Works well for me with problem child as well. You hardly ever run in to another person/dog. But I agree, you have to be a morning person.

I also do night walks - most nights it is cool enough after the sun goes down, I've been known to pop out anytime from 6.00 to 10.00pm depending on the temp/humidity.

Short spurts of exercise like fetch/chasey/hide and seek/training seem to be ok for my younger dog in the early morning, late afternoon/evening (not in the middle of the day of course) and she recovers very well.

Funny thing is that they love their clam shell.

We passed a young man walking out of KMart yesterday, carrying a clam shell. 'For the dog?', we asked. 'Yep! For the dog,' he answered.

Our tibbies have a large, grassy back garden, with mango tree shade. They arrange their own exercise in summer, with early morning runs along the back fenceline with their mates the greyhounds at the back. They sit there patiently waiting for the greys to get out of bed!

Around dusk, the tib next door comes over to play & they have a little burst of running around the garden.

Tibs are a short-nosed breed & they need caution in summer because they're prone to heat exhaustion. Dogs don't perspire like humans do, to get rid of excess body heat. They have to pant. The short-nosed breeds have a less efficient system for doing this.

Edited by mita