Mirror Up Feature

redangel

I have been advised good practice is to use the 'mirror lock up' feature when doing macro shots....unfortunately the D90 does not have this feature. Any feedback on the importance of this feature...and perhaps the next model I should look towards with this feature when considering upgrade. Im having fun with my d90 & macro shots, but im looking for my next thing to save for. Ive got a year ahead of me now :)

one of the things this does which makes it wonderful for shots like macro is that because of the small area the camera is using as its image area for the shot, any camera shake is noticeable - one of the reasons to use a tripod for instance, to eliminate even minimal hand shake which on an ordinary shot might not be detected, but on one that detailed, would be, along with any shake induced by the camera itself (either from vibrations caused as the shutter is depressed or the from the movement of the mirror flipping up). If you do not have it, then you can't use it, but you can at least eliminate the shutter pressing shake by using a remote or by having the self timer function activated (both things I use on landscape, along with the tripod) - this means there is either a 2 second or 10 second delay if you use the self timer between you pressing the button and then the camera taking the shot, which prevents the movement, or by using a remote, it is the infra red sensor or connection making the camera activate, which also prevents the movement.

Most of the more expensive models do have this function, but on its own, would not be upgrading yet just for that

Thanks for the explanation. I do have a remote for the camera..never even seen the light of day outside the box.... Ive always kept it there so my friends don't ask why I am not in the photos :) someones got to push the shutter! ( they know Im shocking at setting my clock radio alarm so timer is out!)

What Linda said.

I've used mirror lock up (and a cable release) for night photo and other long exposures (plus a cable release) to avoid mirror slap but only recently. On long exposures I think it's a good idea.