Improving Chocolate Coat

Guest Abby

Or, do you think it could have something to do with the number (or rather lack of) Yellows in the pedigree? Mine is from almost solid Black/Chocolate lines, with only one Yellow 5 generations back, I believe.

My chocolate bitch is very sun bleached at the moment and I think it has to do more with the yellow in the breeding, as well as being outside in the sun obviously contributing somewhat.

I recently had one of her babies to visit - being a chocolate to chocolate mating and her coat was much darker and richer than my girls. Much much nicer.

However, she spends a lot of time indoors out of the sun, as do many breeders I have spoke to that show their chocolates. They keep them out of the sun for the same reasons.

Those with black horses would know all about the rugging etc to keep colours.

However, I always wondered how come black dogs dont fade in the sun ???

But then, mine is also the only Lab I have ever met who couldn't care less about water.

Actually I have one of those. She will put her toe in the water then almost cringe. Though we are working on that and I have caught her a few times in this past heat actually standing in the clam pool, or in the water cube.

Gusgem,

I just read that you have started your Chocolate girl's show career. :thumbsup: :D :)

Don't worry about the legginess. My breeder's Number One piece of advice is always: Try to ignore the ones that start out looking like miniature adults. They usually end up to be dumpy and short.

It's really sad, but the most likely reason why you can't compare your girl with others her age, is because many breeders actually hide their Labs during The Uglies, which IMO doesn't do anything for the breed.

As you can probably tell, I still have a soft spot for the "brown ones", and I wish you only the very best.

Also, I'm sure you couldn't have found a better, more fun, show mentor than raz. :p

Anyway, that's another forum/thread. :p

MissMonaro,

interesting thought about black dogs not fading.

Funny you should say that, because in my other breed reddish coats are a problem for some, but I have only once heard someone blame the sun.

But guess what the remedy is? Yep, many swear by kelp... :D

Again, I seem to be very lucky. My girl is almost bluish/black, but she gets a slight brownish tinge when she is just about to drop coat, and I just accept that as something natural.

:D about your water-reluctant girl.

Just the other day, I caught my boy digging in the wading pool, trying to get his tennis ball out, and he was clearly having fun.

But, when he saw me, he stopped and walked away, as if he was embarrassed. So, maybe there is still hope. :)

Trifecta,

I tend to agree with you that we can overdo it with supplements, generally.

I personally have drastically cut down on all supplements over the years, mostly because of increased confidence in the diet I feed.

I have never heard of kelp overdoses, though.

Would that mean over-functioning thyroids? How much would it take to cause problems? And could you please tell us what to look out for?

Yes, it apparently is the copper that helps with coat colour, but if you are talking about heavy metal contamination, that would definitely depend on the source.

I only buy Norwegian and New Zealand kelp.

Not sure about the one from New Zealand, but I know that the Norwegian one is still very strictly checked, especially for heavy metals, since the Chernobyl disaster, so I feel quite comfortable using it.

Edited by cate

Cat,

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

As you are aware, iodine is a constituent of thyroxine for thyroid function & control of metabolism. Excess iodine intake inhibits thyroid hormone synthesis. All glandular structures, respiratory organs & circulatory system are especially affected; they atropy. With rapid metabolism, the animal has a voracious appetite but becomes thin. Goitre also occurs (confusing, as this is also a sign of iodine deficiency!). Reproduction is particularly affected causing birth defects.

It is interesting to note that the feeding of excess amounts of seaweed meal is the most common cause of feed related mineral toxicity in horses. I do not know if any research results have been collated with regard to mineral toxicity in dogs.

I do not know what amounts are recommended for dogs, but do know that the RDI for a 500kg horse is 1-2mg. This is iodine itself, not the amount of kelp. You would have to check the analysis to see how much iodine was available in a particular product. Sorry I can't be dog specific, but most vets consider feeding in excess of 20g daily of pure seaweed meal to horses weighing between 450-500kg harmful. This is about 1.5 tablespoons.

For this reason I consider daily supplementation of kelp too frequent, preferring to add it on a weekly basis.