Flood Victims Pets Need Rescuing

KatrinaM

Large dogs seem to be the most in need, especially after what has transpired in other towns. If you can foster and live nearby or North please consider it.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/flood-v...6-1225979879229

Flood victims' pets need refuge after Rockhampyon City Council relocates animals from pound

THE RSPCA has set-up an emergency housing facility for the pets of evacuated residents in Rockhampton, but are warning space is limited.

It has called for more foster carers to come forward and for people faced with evacuation to find refuge for their pets early, with room for just 40 animals at the temporary shelter, which has been set-up on the grounds of the Central Queensland University.

RSPCA spokesman Michael Beatty said the shelter was established overnight, but was focused on catering for evacuees arriving at the evacuation centre with their pets.

He said there was still plenty of room, but the shelter was expected to quickly fill-up as the number of evacuations rose.

Authorities late last week were grappling to accommodate the many pets that would need shelter after having to relocate animals from its waterlogged pound.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

One elderly Rockhampton woman on Friday was refusing to leave her riverside Quay St home until she could find refuge for her two cats and dog.

The RSPCA repeated advice yesterday for residents expected to be hit by worsening flooding early this week to arrange housing for pets as early as possible, saying there was no provision for the evacuation of pets by helicopter.

Condamine resident Brett Pile yesterday told of his anguish at having to put down his elderly dog, blaming the short notice given by authorities to evacuate.

The RSPCA is appealing for foster carers in flooded regional centres to temporarily take in animals, as well as cash donations.

Mr Beatty said residents preparing to evacuate should keep photographs of pets and vaccination papers with them to help reunite them after the water recedes.

The RSPCA has started a database of abandoned or relocated pets, with pet owners encouraged to register animals by phoning 3426 9999.

Some residents of the beef capital have already opened their paddocks to retreating herds of cattle and other livestock.

In Theodore and surrounding towns south-west of Rockhampton, it is estimated at least 1000 head of cattle have been washed down the mighty Dawson River.

Banana Shire Mayor John Hooper has called for State Government funded fodder drops, but says providing aide to humans must come first.

"People's livelihoods are being swept down the river in front of their eyes," he said

This flood is shocking!!!. I wish I could help but I live in Northern NSW. I hate to think of how many animals have had to be abandoned and are suffering.

I really wish I could foster some for desperate owners as I have room however Im too far away I think. Is there anything we can do?

Heartbreaking for anyone who has to leave pets behind - hope everyone who needs help gets it. A friend up there has said that there are plenty of safe areas designated and that there is plenty of warning - so there is time to get pets to safety before things get desperate - just hope everyone takes those chances to make sure their pets are safe.

BUT

I am going to have a bitch about the RSPCA.

They are ruthlessly pushing governments to make it harder and harder for foster carers and other rescue groups - but now they can't cope they want these same people to step up and pick up their slack. I know that the rescue/foster groups will and so would I if I were in the area as its about the animals not politics but who do they think they are - they will be back pushing the gov's as soon as their needs are met. RSPCA = Swearword !!!!!