Looking For King Charles Spaniel Registered Breeders Sa

feistylady

Feistylady, I'm sorry about your loss. Good, realistic advice there from Jed. If I were thinking of getting a Cav puppy, I'd be listening to her general advice.

Best wishes in your search.

mita do you also subscribe to no MRI testing for SM even though other overseas and aus breeders are undertaking this test?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had looked for a sub forum and had missed it due to it being initialised umm is that a word? and will leave a message shortly Thankyou for that. I seriously realise that I cannot expect breeders to have undertaken a MRI and am happily finding most are having heart,eye checks and will not buy from a breeder who has not at least had these 2 checks and written proof. I think the days of this puppy has been vet checked and vaccinated stated are possibly going to lose sales. I also take an interest in the great debate over vaccinating and that is a real hot potato.

Lochie had been bought from a breeder who my friend had rung when diabetes was found and told it was not in the other dogs but then is a breeder going to honestly say yes?

So onward I go with my mission to find my baby to make my home once again complete.

why not? overseas breeders are MRI'ing their dogs and declaring whether they are SM free or no.

eta some aus breeders are MRI'ing as well

JB I certainly am not against MRI in fact this topic is new to me I have not had a puppy in 15 years and have never purchased diirectly from a breeder either as I want to this time. until I started reading up on breeders this week I would not have even known about the heart and eye tests etc and seriously I wonder now how many prospective puppy owners do either they pop into pet shops and see Ads without any thought to this and I am sure many are duped by backyarders.

I would be happy for you to find me a Cavalier breeder in SA who does the MRI.

I also think this would be a excellent open topic in the forum for all breeders to voice their opinion too.

Thankyou for your input

Michelle

I had looked for a sub forum and had missed it due to it being initialised umm is that a word? and will leave a message shortly Thankyou for that. I seriously realise that I cannot expect breeders to have undertaken a MRI and am happily finding most are having heart,eye checks and will not buy from a breeder who has not at least had these 2 checks and written proof. I think the days of this puppy has been vet checked and vaccinated stated are possibly going to lose sales. I also take an interest in the great debate over vaccinating and that is a real hot potato.

Lochie had been bought from a breeder who my friend had rung when diabetes was found and told it was not in the other dogs but then is a breeder going to honestly say yes?

So onward I go with my mission to find my baby to make my home once again complete.

why not? overseas breeders are MRI'ing their dogs and declaring whether they are SM free or no.

eta some aus breeders are MRI'ing as well

JB I certainly am not against MRI in fact this topic is new to me I have not had a puppy in 15 years and have never purchased diirectly from a breeder either as I want to this time. until I started reading up on breeders this week I would not have even known about the heart and eye tests etc and seriously I wonder now how many prospective puppy owners do either they pop into pet shops and see Ads without any thought to this and I am sure many are duped by backyarders.

I would be happy for you to find me a Cavalier breeder in SA who does the MRI.

I also think this would be a excellent open topic in the forum for all breeders to voice their opinion too.

Thankyou for your input

Michelle

i will try to find SA breeders who do this

i just think that the more we know the better it is for our dogs :laugh:

Steve

Even the whole vaccination issue comes back to the fact that in order for the dog to react that way there has to be something wrong with its immune system and any reaction short or long term needs to be something which is recorded and bred against.

Do you have links to this you can post? Last I checked, Drs. Bob Rogers & Catherine O'Driscoll seemed to feel that vaccinosis was due to the vaccinations, not some problem with the dogs' immune system, but as you know, I am open to learning.

Jaxx's Buddy, I refer you to post #14.

Instead of having a shot at me you might consider the needs of fiestylady, who is asking the questions. Your replies do not reflect the situation at all. More dogs are scanned in Uk because there is a subsidised scanning service. More dogs are scanned in NSW because there is subsidised scanning available.

I already typed the rest, not doing it again.

fiestylady, trust me it's true, there are as many scanned Cavaliers in Aust as there are ashtrays on bicycles. And, although Steve seems to think more are being scanned daily, they are not.

However, more are gradually being scanned, but your chance of getting a pup from scanned parents is very low. Your chance of getting a pup with SM is also very low, provided you stick with registered and recommended breeders.

Also, please be aware that a dog with an "A" MRI SM scan can still produce pups which have SM.

not having a go at you Jed simply asking questions.

i do not understand why there is such a negative view on MRI tests on DOL when other cav breeders both here and overseas are testing.

i also think it is responsible to give accurate advice when people ask it and i for one would not be comfortable proclaiming that there is a very small incidence of SM in australia. how do we know that is the dogs aren't tested?

This is a genuine, not a stirring question.

Could it be that not many are testing for it because there are not many places you can go to for an MRI? Do all states even have the facility? I believe in SA we have 1, possibly 2 now that Roseworthy is open. If there are others around I have no heard of them, granted I have never needed 1. But am just thinking MRI scanning for animals is still a relatively new and expensive test so may not be easily available in all states.

Could it be that not many are testing for it because there are not many places you can go to for an MRI? Do all states even have the facility? I believe in SA we have 1, possibly 2 now that Roseworthy is open. If there are others around I have no heard of them, granted I have never needed 1. But am just thinking MRI scanning for animals is still a relatively new and expensive test so may not be easily available in all states.

we don't know how many breeders are testing for it outside of dol so that's why i think the cav clubs would be best placed to direct to breeders who are testing.

I seem to have caused an issue with my questions, I live very close too Roseworthy and listened to a very informative dicussion on 5AA yes I believe they do have MRI I have thought I would head there when I get a pup as they offer the veterinary services although having said that I do have a lovely caring vet in Clare

not having a go at you Jed simply asking questions.

i do not understand why there is such a negative view on MRI tests on DOL when other cav breeders both here and overseas are testing.

i also think it is responsible to give accurate advice when people ask it and i for one would not be comfortable proclaiming that there is a very small incidence of SM in australia. how do we know that is the dogs aren't tested?

Jaxx's Buddy, it IS responsible to give accurate advice, but you are NOT giving it.

Precisely what knowledge of Cavaliers do you have to not be comfortable proclaiming that there is a small incidence of SM in Australia? It works both ways.

The dogs with SM are often spoken about (both Cavalier and other breeds), whilst the ones who live lives untroubled by SM (and MVD come to that) kick back and enjoy, and they are never mentioned.

It is NOT a negative view, it is an honest view. It might not suit you, with your great and profound knowledge of how to breed dogs, and most particularly how to successfully breed Cavaliers with no health problems, but it is FACT. That is how it is. Accept what is.

Do you know how many breeders are scanning for SM? If you do, and the dogs scanned are graded A, please refer fiestylady to those breeders. I know who is scanning, and I will repeat what I said before, if fiestylady is not interested unless the dogs have been scanned, she can forget it.

Do you know how many registered Cavalier breeders are in Aust?

Do you know how many puppies they breed annually?

Do you know how many enquiries they all have?

Do you know which breeders scan, why they scan, and how many pups they have for sale?

Obviously not.

And I also repeat, the chances of the dog being run over or being bitten by a snake are about the same as the chances of him having SM.

If you encourage people to only buy from MRI scanned parents, any buyer will be sadly disappointed, and probably nick off to a puppy farm and buy. People do.

I am sorry, Jaxx's Buddy, I forgot to mention why not all dogs are tested, and you asked. I did answer in another thread.

Breeders are not generally testing for SM because the only subsidised scanner in Aust is in Sydney. I believe scans are $600 each. Breeders in other places have the choice of using a scanner at the uni, or a speciallist centre, at a cost of approximately $1200 per dog. Extras probably run the cost up over $1500 per dog. Breeders in other states can send the dogs to Sydney, add air freight, boarding etc. Some breeders do have the dogs scanned when they are in Syney for speciality shows. Added to which, the dog must be given a general anaesthetic, with attending risks.

To be graded "A" on MRI does not mean the dog will not produce pups with SM.

So, from a breeders point of view, you can spend $3000+ having the dogs scanned, and still produce whole litters with SM.

Subsidised scanning is available in UK, with funds from grants, donations etc, and owners of pet and breeding Cavaliers are encouraged to scan, so a data base can be built up and be of use for the future. Owners of Cavaliers which have symptoms of SM are particularly encouraged to have the dog scanned, for obvious reasons. I hope Penny has the pedigrees correct now.

I hope that makes the situation clearer.

txs Jed. i do wonder though why other breeders are testing? i would imagine they test because they want to know?

i do not believe anyone can blanket say dogs shouldn't be tested because other breeders are saying the opposite of what you are saying which is that the dogs should be tested.

wouldn't it be better to be open minded about the tests?

I seem to have caused an issue with my questions, I live very close too Roseworthy and listened to a very informative dicussion on 5AA yes I believe they do have MRI I have thought I would head there when I get a pup as they offer the veterinary services although having said that I do have a lovely caring vet in Clare

I thought Roseworthy would probably have 1 being a teaching hospital.

I also live near Roseworthy but hope to never need their services. I haven't confirmed it with my vet yet but have been told that the vets in Gawler no longer do after hours consults as Roseworthy offer them now.

Good luck in your search for a well bred puppy. I hope you succeed. And there is never anything wrong in asking questions. Disagreement and debate will occur in a busy forum :laugh:

txs Jed. i do wonder though why other breeders are testing? i would imagine they test because they want to know?

i do not believe anyone can blanket say dogs shouldn't be tested because other breeders are saying the opposite of what you are saying which is that the dogs should be tested.

wouldn't it be better to be open minded about the tests?

It has nothing to do with being open minded, it has to do with the truth.

The truth is as I have written it. I am not saying the dogs shouldn't be tested, I am saying that most of them aren't being tested.

I am not telling you what SHOULD happen, I am telling you what DOES happen.

And I am telling you that testing does not guarantee a dog which is SM free.

What should happen is that dogs should be MRId for syrinxes - or I believe so anyhow. But it is expensive, and very difficult to MRI.

I am on several cav lists, I speak to breeders, I am on forums, most breeders are on them, most breeders are not testing. I know a few are, but they are in the minority.

And chances of the OP acquiring a pup from one of them is about nil.

I am quite amazed about this .... are you sure you aren't confusing HEART SCANS (MRIS) WITH MRIS FOR SYRINXES?

Most reputable breeders heart scan - and that is the basis of "heart clear" certificates which are issued to the parent dogs.

If you know of many breeders testing for SM, I would be pleased if you would let me know who they are by PM. I do know of a few, but they are the minority

Jaxxs Buddy

No they aren't. No one can say that ... well they can, but they can be sued. The dogs are graded when they are scanned, from A to D, not graded as being SM free.

Edited by Jed

patronising me won't work Jed. I am not easily confused and i do know what i am talking about.

this is the second time this thread you have had a go at me for no good reason.

if you are saying the cost is stopping you and other breeders then i do not think this is acceptable.

I am not "having a go at you". You may believe I am patronising you, or having a go at you. I am not.

I am correcting you, because you are putting erroneous information on this forum.

Information which is giving people who wish to buy a cavalier pup the incorrect information. People who are buying pups need the correct information.

Now I have corrected you, I can go and do something which will give me more pleasure than arguing with you

I have no idea why you think my correcting you is "patronising". Is it because you think you are always right? Disagreeing with you is not patronising. If you don't like it, please don't post incorrect information here in the future.

If you pm me with all those breeders in Aus who are SMI-ing for syrinxes, I may believe you then. And I will apologise, but so far, you have not produced any evidence at all to support your point of view.

And quite frankly, reading what you have written, I don't think you understand much about SM at all. What sources have you used for your research?

The people who read this forum may have more complete comprehension than you do, and they may decide to believe someone who has bred Cavaliers for 17 years, with a lifetime health guarantee who had a vested interest in breeding healthy dogs, before someone with no demonstrated experience owning or breeding Cavaliers.

I certainly wouldn't post my opinions on Boston Terriers, nor would I comment on their health testing. Because I know little about it. It is expected that forum users will extend the same courtesy to the owners/breeders of other breeds not their own. Your lack of knowledge shines through in every post you make.

This is my last post on this subject, unless you send me breeders names or prefixes, and then I will apologise for disagreeing about the number of breeders testing. :confused:

Yes, they are testing in UK and in US, but not here and not in NZ in any great numbers. In fact, more breeders are walking away than testing because of the cost and the distances to travel to have the testing done. And the lack of concrete results.

Oh and it is generally believed, world wide, that the Cavaliers in Aus and NZ have a much lower incidence of SM than in other places, maybe because of the original dogs imported here.

Edited by Jed

We are in NSW and are getting our third Cavalier this month, sadly we lost our two boys in september last year, one to heart failure and the other because his mental health was not good, he was desexed and had every symptom of SM, he could not walk with out scratching at his head, would constantly bark into space, he had started attacking other dogs, which he had never done before and many more things, we loved him dearly but felt it kinder to send him with his best mate.

My breeder here MRI's her dogs, the dog I mentioned with the symptoms was not from her the other was, that dog had the MRI had mild SM but no symptoms.

They are a lovely breed with many health problems but mongel's can have health problems too.

Hope you get a beautiful baby, they are a wonderful hairy breed.

Cheers

jed you are giving mis-information.

it is not about whether you can get dogs without SM but to make sure SM is at least registered so that there is at least a way to track it to learn more about it and what lines it shows up in

you know, what's best for the breed and all that :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
Lucky you prefer Bostons, Jaxx Buddy.

51 Cavaliers in Aust have been scanned for SM. Approximately half of those are over breeding age.

That leaves about 28 breeding dogs, and if we presume they have heart clear parents, and have had eye tests, those are the only Cavaliers you would wish to purchase a pup from.

As I said to feistylady - forget it. :thumbsup:

You have more chance of your Cavalier escaping and being run over and killed than you do of him having SM in Australia

Hi There, I found this thread and just had to join and comment about this post.

Where are these statistics? There must be more than 51 that have been tested? Or are these breeding dogs that have been tested?

I find the last comment heartbreaking.. I was so concerned about getting a puppy without MVD or eye problems that I didn't even think to ask about Syringomyelia in the breeding stock.

My 2 year old Cavalier has SM. She hasn't escaped, been run over or died.

Lucky me.