Looking For King Charles Spaniel Registered Breeders Sa

feistylady

Lucky you prefer Bostons, Jaxx Buddy.

51 Cavaliers in Aust have been scanned for SM. Approximately half of those are over breeding age.

That leaves about 28 breeding dogs, and if we presume they have heart clear parents, and have had eye tests, those are the only Cavaliers you would wish to purchase a pup from.

As I said to feistylady - forget it. :thumbsup:

You have more chance of your Cavalier escaping and being run over and killed than you do of him having SM in Australia

Hi There, I found this thread and just had to join and comment about this post.

Where are these statistics? There must be more than 51 that have been tested? Or are these breeding dogs that have been tested?

I find the last comment heartbreaking.. I was so concerned about getting a puppy without MVD or eye problems that I didn't even think to ask about Syringomyelia in the breeding stock.

My 2 year old Cavalier has SM. She hasn't escaped, been run over or died.

Lucky me.

I am so sorry to hear about your Cavalier Victoria

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fiestylady - I am not a Cav breeder, but you may find it helpful to come out to a couple of shows to see some Cav breeders.

We only have two weekends left of shows, before we have a break until March in Adelaide.

There is a show tonight at Karbeethan Reserve at Angle Vale (Gawler) - angle vale road - cant miss it, (starts at 7pm) then next weekend at Heathfield Oval, heathfield (near Stirling) - on Friday and Saturday night starting at 6pm.

Maybe pop along to one of these shows and chat to a few breeders. You'll get to see their dogs too.

Thanks for that feistylady, I had suspected it for about a year and the vets kept diagnosing ear infections and allergies.. :rolleyes: Finally there was nothing wrong and they got the idea it might be SM.

Hopefully she will live a long time without severe signs.. already the meds are helping with her ear scratching and we also got a harness to ease the pressure on her neck during walks..

Thanks for that feistylady, I had suspected it for about a year and the vets kept diagnosing ear infections and allergies.. :rolleyes: Finally there was nothing wrong and they got the idea it might be SM.

Hopefully she will live a long time without severe signs.. already the meds are helping with her ear scratching and we also got a harness to ease the pressure on her neck during walks..

i am so sorry to hear about your dog victoria. i really do wish more cav breeders would be proactive about this problem so the pet owners didn't need to watch their pets suffer or be landed with huge vet bills :thumbsup:

Melcatlady, Victoria, sorry to hear about your problems.

Victoria, I hope you have mentioned the Syringomyelia to the breeder of your dog. It's pretty crappy to have a dog with SM, but really, more do have accidents than have SM, but I feel for you.

Where is the stat of 51? Is that the number shown on the UKCKCS site? (Too lazy to look) I believe more than that have been scanned, but a lot of those were from lines suspected of carrying SM, or dogs with symptoms.

So many CKCS breeders have stopped breeding, rather than risk breeding a pup with SM.