Whelping Box Setup

Paptacular!

My bitches whelp on lots of newspaper in the whelping box, once finished I put down carpet with paper underneath. It gets changed once a week, easy to hose down and the bitches can't scratch it up. I have a six week old litter here now on blankets and the bitch still scratches it up! I lost a puppy once when it got caught in the blankets, never again! When they are about 3 weeks old I only cover half the box with carpet so they pee on the paper. Good luck with your pending litter.

My bitches whelp on lots of newspaper in the whelping box, once finished I put down carpet with paper underneath. It gets changed once a week, easy to hose down and the bitches can't scratch it up. I have a six week old litter here now on blankets and the bitch still scratches it up! I lost a puppy once when it got caught in the blankets, never again! When they are about 3 weeks old I only cover half the box with carpet so they pee on the paper. Good luck with your pending litter.

That's a concern of mine actually, a pup getting lost in the fold of a blanket and either overheating/suffocating or getting squashed.

My old whelping pen was a wire one, which meant I could pull the blankets through the bars and use clamps (found in hardware store) to secure it. As well, the pig rails helped keep the blanket in place as they were not attached but fit snuggly into it, after I lay down the clean blanket. Kept bitches from digging and flipping stuff around and burying pups.

I used carpet on the bottom after the whelp was done, and covered with blankets for washing daily. Very clean and good to walk on (I use polar fleece as it won't catch nails on pups) As well, about two weeks into things I roll up small towels and place under the blanket to get the pups used to crawling over things to get where they think they need to be.