Dog Grooming Courses

HI,

I hope some Dolers are able to help me.

What courses based in Melbourne that can assist you in gaining a job in a Dog grooming Salon?

I have found www.dogdiversity.com.au based in Seddon.

Has anyone done their courses or heard of them?

Are the DVD's a good training tool?

Any input about good grooming courses would be great.

I have Schipps so a low maintenance breed (I put them in the shower and towel dry :laugh: :laugh: .)

PMS are fine.

Thanks

BB

You will still need to buy scissors, even if you wish to groom for someone else.

You could also ask to start at the bottom with a salon, as a dog washer and then see if they will train you on the job.

The Aus Dog Centre is so pricey! $$$$$$$$$$$$$

I trained at the Dog Grooming School of Victoria in Heidelberg, which operated alongside a very reputable salon "Mop & Top Dogs".

The training was very thorough and I was more than confident entering the workforce immediately after graduating.

I have worked in some of Melbournes most respected salons since training at DGSV. ;)

....was always the Academy of Dog Grooming in Sunbury, too. Dunno if they are still operating though.

Also, as I have employed many groomers over the years myself, I would avoid any TAFE course on offer.

I am yet to come across a TAFE trained groomer who's work is of any real quality, while most I wouldn't even classify as groomers.

I am sure however, that there are TAFE trained groomers who have learned a LOT in the industry since training and are now of a reasonable standard.

....was always the Academy of Dog Grooming in Sunbury, too. Dunno if they are still operating though.

Also, as I have employed many groomers over the years myself, I would avoid any TAFE course on offer.

I am yet to come across a TAFE trained groomer who's work is of any real quality, while most I wouldn't even classify as groomers.

I am sure however, that there are TAFE trained groomers who have learned a LOT in the industry since training and are now of a reasonable standard.

I know a few groomers that have studied at TAFE and they now run successful businesses. I think anyone without experience who undertakes any form of training is not totally competent at the completion of the course. Training is the basis for a career and it needs to be combined with years of experience to be totally competent.

• 3 weeks later...

:( i cant actually believe how unbelievably offended i am by this LOL

i did Box Hill TAFE's grooming course (before it turned bad) - we were the 1st year for the full time course, so altho, yes, there were some faults, the course gave us all extremely good knowledge and experience, and a number of us have gone on to work at some very high standard grooming salons, and even have our own businesses!! I personally have competed in National dog grooming competitions and come away with prizes! So to say you wouldnt classify tafe students as groomers is a real insult! and to then say "reasonable standard"...well thats just rude really...alot of us have worked EXTREMELY hard to get to the standard we are at now, and it shouldnt matter where you started out, but the amount of work you put in!!

So many people bag the tafe courses and think its just a piece of paper, but the knowledge you get from it is probably more than you will get at other courses, because it goes into such depth!

Grooming is something that takes skill, passion and a person who is completely there for the animals wellbeing! Dont condem tafe students as a reasonable standard in the industry when you clearly have no idea! :)

Sadly I agree with this post. I've yet to meet a tafe trained groomer who could do anything but very basic work. Fair enough they may end up quite skilled after years of working and experience, but the tafe courses are usually very basic and incomplete.

If I were you I would try to get a job as a hydrobathist in a salon and try to work your way up. It gives you time to understand every aspect of grooming. Don't dismiss learning how to bathe either, bathing a dog properly is the foundation of a good groom, without a proper cleanse a dog will never look good.

Best of luck.

• 5 weeks later...

Jerojath - do you know if DGSV is still going? We're looking for an additional groomer and it makes sense to contact the various training establishments to see if they have current or recent graduates looking.

Sags

The Aus Dog Centre is so pricey! $$$$$$$$$$$$$

I trained at the Dog Grooming School of Victoria in Heidelberg, which operated alongside a very reputable salon "Mop & Top Dogs".

The training was very thorough and I was more than confident entering the workforce immediately after graduating.

I have worked in some of Melbournes most respected salons since training at DGSV. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I spoke to a groomer the other day that attended Doggy Dooz and she toss up going there or to the ADC. She chose Doggy Dooz as the staff there have teaching qualifications and the communication was better.

The 2 head teachers at ADC are both International Certified Master Groomers, (ICMG) and Nicky is the Australian certifier for International Professional Groomers, which is the highest international dog grooming instructors qualification.

I spoke to a groomer the other day that attended Doggy Dooz and she toss up going there or to the ADC. She chose Doggy Dooz as the staff there have teaching qualifications and the communication was better.

The 2 head teachers at ADC are both International Certified Master Groomers, (ICMG) and Nicky is the Australian certifier for International Professional Groomers, which is the highest international dog grooming instructors qualification.

Is the IMCG recognised as accredited trainers by an Australian government body or is an American business?

Is the IMCG recognised as accredited trainers by an Australian government body or is an American business?

International Professional Groomers Inc (IPG) are an International Organization which provide international industry standards for professional pet groomers

based on their countries breed standards.

International Professional Groomers Inc (IPG) are an International Organization which provide international industry standards for professional pet groomers

To call yourself a Master groomer do you have to pay an annaul fee?

To call yourself a Master groomer do you have to pay an annaul fee?

It appears from their website that you pay an annual fee to be a member but it is not clear if the title of master groomer only applies to members.