Using Someone Else Prefix

Inevitablue

Just a thought also. If you do end up with your male and you keep it which dog will you be desexing..the mother or the son?? Because one will need to be or you may have an unwanted, undesired mating??!! Also something to think about.

Just a thought also. If you do end up with your male and you keep it which dog will you be desexing..the mother or the son?? Because one will need to be or you may have an unwanted, undesired mating??!! Also something to think about.

Both desexed I would envisage.

I started off breeding horses, because I had admired a certain stallion for awhile, and when I had a super special mare who I thought so highly of I approached the stallion's owners.

At this stage I only ever was interested in this particular mating (a colonial bred stallion, over a hugely successful USA linage mare - and not a drop of Northern Dancer blood!), and not getting into breeding. I didn't want to go register and have a brand made. So the stallion owners let me put the resulting colt on their books, with their brand.

I raised the colt, did everything associated, but for registration purposes the stallion owners allowed me to use their books.

And..........after all that I got the breeding bug!

My experience with horses is what led me to asking the question here.

You can do similiar here with dogs that you did with your horse - In fact many breeders first litters may have been under a similiar situation - it can be a good way to start as you have the assistance of the breeder to help.

Good manners means that you would go back to the breeder who you purchased your bitch from. If they are proud of the bitch they will be more than happy to look at some form of partnership in breeding your girl. They may even be interested in keeping a pup for future showing or breeding.

Many here may appear judgemental when it comes to a new person breeding - however we all start somewhere and each person has the right to explore their own options. It is not necessarily up to DOL's to give their 'permission'.

Best of luck in your work.

(just wondering if the research you are doing is related to lympomia - My horse was too far gone to join the trial unfortunately)

(just wondering if the research you are doing is related to lympomia - My horse was too far gone to join the trial unfortunately)

Unfortunately by 'too far gone' that might mean it had metastisized and spread through the body. No, the advanced research is not at that stage yet. This treatment requires direct injection/application to the cancerous cells.

Thanks for not jumping to conclusions that I was someone with sinister objectives! (haha...Im a member on other forums and I do know that the newbies do get put through the wringer! :rofl: )

Hi Jakemon, what you mentioned is done from time to time. The person to talk to about it is the breeder of the bitch you are planning to buy,but do so with confidence, it is not totally unheard of.

Both desexed I would envisage.

I started off breeding horses, because I had admired a certain stallion for awhile, and when I had a super special mare who I thought so highly of I approached the stallion's owners.

At this stage I only ever was interested in this particular mating (a colonial bred stallion, over a hugely successful USA linage mare - and not a drop of Northern Dancer blood!), and not getting into breeding. I didn't want to go register and have a brand made. So the stallion owners let me put the resulting colt on their books, with their brand.

I raised the colt, did everything associated, but for registration purposes the stallion owners allowed me to use their books.

And..........after all that I got the breeding bug!

My experience with horses is what led me to asking the question here.

I bred horses long before I got into breeding dogs. Part-bred Arabian Pintos. But now I have an ex-race TB (a Mr. Prospector Grandon) who is my riding horse. Always good to do as much research as possible with any endeavour. :laugh: