Stroke Or Brain Tumour In Boxer Dog

Caesar went to the vet yesterday as he had facial paralysis and drooling.

The vet feels that it is either caused by a stroke as he is also blind in the left eye as well as the facial paralysis and head tilting.

The vet offered to refer him to have a CT or MRI to diagnose whether it was a stroke or the less likely cause of a brain tumour.

But after discussion we decided that finding out which one it is probably wont change the treatments at this time.

so we opted for an intravenious cortisone injection and see if he improves.

Apparently with a strokes we should see improvement within a week, but if it is a brain tumour he will probably go down hill fairly quickly (as the paralysis came on quickly)

and there is very little that can be done for either a stroke and he should improve and no real treatment for brain tumours, except to keep him comfortable until his time comes.

Caesar is and 8.5 year old Boxer and also suffers from pancreatitis and Chronic Renal Failure. He has also recently recovered from MCT operation.

Does anyone have experience with either brain tumours or strokes, please tell me your story, or if anyone has any advice.

I recently lost my wolfhound x at the age of 16, she also suffered from renal failure and had a stroke, also on top of that she had multiple skin tumors.

The day she had the stroke my sister called me and said that cerri (the dog) was unable to get up at all and was very depressed, I came home thinking I had to put my old girl down, however when I got there I looked at her eyes and realized they were moving backwards and forward (a common sign of a stroke). I was really relieved as I knew that dogs recover quite easily from strokes with all mobility coming back to the dog within usually a week, hers came back within 3 days. My mum chose to put her on some medication for around two weeks (I can't remember the name) that helped get more oxygen to cerri's brain. She was 15 at the time and made a full recovery and a year later she was still fighting fit but in the end it was the tumors that took their toll on her.

Hopefully for your boxer it was a stroke as he should make a full recovery.

GOOD LUCK!