Reporter Takes Stray To The Vet

Sheridan

We have often picked up stray dogs. ES would go to work get the scanner and scan for a microchip. The last one the owner was away, we were able to contact her and kept the dog here until she could organize for a friend to pick the dog up, owner was very thankful.

I ended up taking a really nice AmStaff to the vets here a couple of weeks ago, gorgeous friendly boy who met when out walking Quinn and wouldn't leave me alone, no collar but I hadn't seen him around and my area is actually pretty good about keep their dogs in. (touchwood)

He freaked Quinn out a little by being too over the top, he had no road sense so I figured I'd just call him across with me and take him home where the road is dead and work it out form there, body blocking him from Quinn the entire time. We took him into the vet and he was chipped luckily so hopefully he went home.

I'd be super thankful if someone grabbed one of my dogs and found me. Quinns tag says she's chipped and there is a reward for her return, Busters says "If I'm alone...I'm lost" so people don't just think I just let him wander.

What an absolute idiot that guy is. To think that he is happy for his dog to just run around....and what happens if the dog attacks another dog or human or causes a major car accident, the cops or council rangers should find him and give him a bloody big fine.

So far I have only had good experience when bringing home strays, I found about 18 months ago a lab running around our estate at 8:30 in the morning, I contacted the council and gave them tag number they were able to contact the owner and get her to call me but she was unable to get the dog until later in the day so lab went into the garage with a bowl of food and water for the day, she was very thankful even left chocolate when she picked up her dog :)

I also remember a few years back when I was younger bringing home a s small stray and an older lady coming to get it. She was happy we had bought it home.

A few months ago I found a gorgeous black great dane probably only 6 months old running around our neighborhood, HE WAS GORGEOUS, took a little bit for him to come to me and to get him in the car, he didn't have any collar or ID on at all so I took him to the Animal Hospital as it was a weekend afternoon no local vets were opened, he didn't want to get out of my car the gorgeous darling, I thought about keeping him and would have if they had called me and told me they didn't find a microchip but they did and he was picked up within an hour.

We also used to have little yappie dogs across the street from us get out and run around on the street had to pick them up several times and take them back.

I hope to doG that if either of my dogs ever gets out someone has the decency to pick them up and take them to a vet or the RSPCA both are chipped etc so they would find their way home from there. I would die if I ever lost them.

I then send an SMS to Dingo's phone number. ''Hi, I have found a kelpie 'Dingo' on the road. He is fine but I have taken him to [suburb] vet.''

Later that day an SMS comes in return: ''Next time mind your own business. He knows where his home is but you took him 2km from it.''

OMG I hope the reporter contacted DAS to report the dog and owner!

I am forever taking stray dogs to the pound or taking them home and ringing the owner (which is what I hope someone would do if my dogs ever got out - take them to a safe place where I can find them). I have yet to have anyone who was happy with my actions :( . It never fails to suprise me - I would be sobbing with tears of joy if someone rang to tell me they had picked up my wandering pooch and made him/her safe.

One person even used Freedom of Information to try and find out who had taken her dog to the pound, so that she could have a go at me!

• 2 weeks later...