How To Remove Staining On White Dogs

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use angels eyes for my white boy who gets a lot of staining. It works wonders for him. I just sprinkle a little in his food every night and his face comes up nicely. It also seems to work on his paws too.

The brown stains are essentially red yeast. It builds up in moist areas of the dogs coat where it can survive. There isn't much you can do to keep his eyes or mouth dry so try angels eyes, it's a great product. There are also tear stain removers you can buy to wipe his face with.

If all else fails, you can always use a bit of bio groom whitening cream.

Angel Eyes are a low dose of antibiotic. Although widely used by showing people, given the choice, I would live with a bit of cosmetic staining rather than dose my dog on antibiotics all the time.

You have it wrong there. The macrolide antibiotics found in angels eyes (very low levels) are a natural polyketide. There has been research into angels eyes usefulness and safety. It has been found to be 100% safe to use even over long periods.

I'm sure it's even safer to feed than tinned dog food.

Please do your research before scaring ppl off using a totally harmless product.

Edited by Danielle

I find diet makes a big difference for the staining. I switched to BARF for one dog when he had it quite badly and it all grew out and didn't ever come back. For my current little fluffy I feed her dry food and she has no mouth staining at all since I got her.

What breed of dog are we talking about.

A lot of eye staining can be due to a slighltly compromised immune system - this is why low grade antibiotcis work to fix it. Skin that's healthy doesn't allow the yeast to grow on it.

Eye staining can often be a symptom of tooth, gum or ear trouble. I know my white Toy Poodle's teeth need a clean when she gets eye stains, otherwise she has none.

A trip to the vet would also be in order to eliminate tear duct issues. Removing artificial colours from a dog's diet can also help.

For staining around the mouth, its harder to deal with if the muzzle is shaggy. The hair holds moisture and this is what encourages yeast growth. There's a reason why the traditional poodle clip sees muzzles clipped out.

Edited by poodlefan

I agree with Clyde, diet can make a major difference. My Pap use to get bad tear staining until I went over to raw feeding, now at 14 when one would expect the staining to be worse he has no issue with it. A little Apple Cider Vinegar added to the food or in the dogs water will help change the dogs PH balance too reducing the tear staining. Also avoid dogfoods that have Beet juice in them as I have heard that this contributes to the problem.

I agree with Clyde, diet can make a major difference. My Pap use to get bad tear staining until I went over to raw feeding, now at 14 when one would expect the staining to be worse he has no issue with it. A little Apple Cider Vinegar added to the food or in the dogs water will help change the dogs PH balance too reducing the tear staining. Also avoid dogfoods that have Beet juice in them as I have heard that this contributes to the problem.

Did you mean beet pulp? Its a fairly common additive for fibre content.

You have it wrong there. The macrolide antibiotics found in angels eyes (very low levels) are a natural polyketide. There has been research into angels eyes usefulness and safety. It has been found to be 100% safe to use even over long periods.

I'm sure it's even safer to feed than tinned dog food.

Please do your research before scaring ppl off using a totally harmless product.

I have been trying to find the concentration of the Tylosin in this product, but it doesn't seem to be listed anywhere on the websites. Is it on th e packet?

I Also avoid dogfoods that have Beet juice in them as I have heard that this contributes to the problem.

Did you mean beet pulp? Its a fairly common additive for fibre content.

Beet is also a different thing to beetroot - no red colouring. Beets are commonly used as livestock food (for cattle etc) overseas.

Two of my dogs have tear stains.

My dam and her dog.

I found it is controllable by wiping their eyes regularly and often.

I do it as part of their daily interaction.

I have had good results without any other intervention.

Two of my dogs have tear stains.

My dam and her dog.

I found it is controllable by wiping their eyes regularly and often.

I do it as part of their daily interaction.

I have had good results without any other intervention.

Thanks everyone,

She is a 10 month old Maltese/silky with dash of poodle and chi. but she is all white and her skin is white with a couple of freckly type marks on her skin. she has dark brown eyes. I generally keep the hair around her face short to minimise it it just looks awful.

She is an inside dog so i only wash her once a fortnight. Or should i wash her more? she's not a smelly dog and she gets brushed every day cause she loves it LOL.

I also have a old male chi who is a bit overweight so they both get supercoat lite and mature dry food. I feed them the Platinum dog Roll from Coles she just gets a bigger portion than he does. As well as rawhide chews and liver straps etc.

I was bathing her in my Dove body wash LOL but was wondering if there was another dog wash i could use that would help with the staining as well.

I might try another type of dog food. I have heard of the BARF brand but don't know a supplier around here we are in Jimboomba (brisbane southside).

She is going in next week to be desexed so will have a chat to the vet as well and get her checked out while she is there.

cheers

I also have a old male chi who is a bit overweight so they both get supercoat lite and mature dry food. I feed them the Platinum dog Roll from Coles she just gets a bigger portion than he does. As well as rawhide chews and liver straps etc.

All of the above could be the culprit.

I find diet makes a big difference for the staining. I switched to BARF for one dog when he had it quite badly and it all grew out and didn't ever come back. For my current little fluffy I feed her dry food and she has no mouth staining at all since I got her.

Weird enough my boy was a shocker on BARF with the staining, it's starting to reduce since he's been ont hat Black Hawk kibble so it makes me wonder what it is 'for him' that sparks it.

Yes my Tzu didn't suit BARF at all, bad mouth staining. I guess it's just a matter of finding what suits the one particular dog. GErtie has a very full, long beard though so I don't think any kind of wet food would help her, hence she is just on dry (black hawk) and necks.

Edited by Clyde

Weird enough my boy was a shocker on BARF with the staining, it's starting to reduce since he's been ont hat Black Hawk kibble so it makes me wonder what it is 'for him' that sparks it.

I agree their diet is not the greatest product out there but the chi has no probs apart from being overwieght(he is on a diet) and he is 12 years old now. with no skin conditions losing a few teeth though.

My old maltese (rest her soul) used to get staining as well but no where near what this one gets. but then the two oldies would groom each other and lick each others ears and eyes lol. He wont do that with this new one :)

I also notice she seems to have more of the poodle coat around her head and the maltese shag on the rest of her body if that makes sense.

I suppose it will be trial and error with the food. Just wondering though if you do only feed them fresh they wont be getting the vitamins and mineral that are in prepackaged food.

I might try another type of dog food. I have heard of the BARF brand but don't know a supplier around here we are in Jimboomba (brisbane southside).

She is going in next week to be desexed so will have a chat to the vet as well and get her checked out while she is there.

cheers

Dear hottopic01

BARF is not a dog food brand, it is Bones and Raw Food (BARF)

You could ask your vet about it when you take your dog in to be checked out.

cheers

Dear hottopic01

BARF is not a dog food brand, it is Bones and Raw Food (BARF)

You could ask your vet about it when you take your dog in to be checked out.

:) Thanks Pewithers I feel like a goose. Yeah I will have a chat to him re her diet. She has no other health problems apart from the staining.

But then the old boy could probably do with a better diet!

Wondering too if it might improve once she is desexed, wonder if hormones have something to do with it. I was waiting till she was a bit bigger to get desexed cause she is small and fine boned and she just didn't seem big enough at 6 months to get desexed LOL. But she came on heat about 2 weeks ago so had to postpone it. Will be interesting to see if it makes a difference as well.

cheers

Most vets don't have a clue about BARF and push certain dry foods. I would do your own research rather than expect an open minded nutrition discussion from a lot of vets. If you google BARF Australia you will find plenty of suppliers - or better yet just feed your dogs a good quality dry food and cut out the snacks and dog roll. :)