How To Remove Staining On White Dogs

Sometimes a teaspoonful (smaller amount for small dogs) of tomato paste (not tomato sauce) added to the dogs food will help with the tear stain yellowing, all it does is change the ph balance.

If not try the ACV or a change of diet.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

You have it wrong there. The macrolide antibiotics found in angels eyes (very low levels) are a natural polyketide. There has been research into angels eyes usefulness and safety. It has been found to be 100% safe to use even over long periods.

I'm sure it's even safer to feed than tinned dog food.

Please do your research before scaring ppl off using a totally harmless product.

I am not aware of any research into the use of Angels Eyes (or Angles Glow etc), could you please provide links.

Thanks.

Btw are you aware that it is illegal to self prescribe it to your dogs?

You have it wrong there. The macrolide antibiotics found in angels eyes (very low levels) are a natural polyketide. There has been research into angels eyes usefulness and safety. It has been found to be 100% safe to use even over long periods.

Please do your research before scaring ppl off using a totally harmless product.

I am not aware of any research into the use of Angels Eyes (or Angles Glow etc), could you please provide links.

Thanks.

Clearly it's not illgeal to use Angel Eyes.

Thanks.

Clearly it's not illgeal to use Angel Eyes.

Why do you say that?

Tylosin tartrate is an unlicenced prescription only medicine, it therefore reasonable to assume that any product that contains a prescription only medicine is itself treated as a prescription only medicine.

I read this whole thread but I couldn't find any recommendation for tear staining other than angel eyes.. Is there any whitening product available that you can use on the fur itself that someone could recommend me?

Why do you say that?

Tylosin tartrate is an unlicenced prescription only medicine, it therefore reasonable to assume that any product that contains a prescription only medicine is itself treated as a prescription only medicine.

Because clearly it's not....that simple mate.

I read this whole thread but I couldn't find any recommendation for tear staining other than angel eyes.. Is there any whitening product available that you can use on the fur itself that someone could recommend me?

Nothing that works as well as Angel Eyes.

As this product is available off the shelves of the pet stores and appears to be available in most countries so I shall be using it.

Edited by oakway

Dazla

Do you live in Australia or are you really overseas, and don't mean Tasmania.

I don't understand the relavancy of my your question.

If you doubt my probity because of my nationality/residency, whatever that might be, then why would you believe my answer to your question?

It is obvious that I have upset a number of members here because I have told them that a product that they have faith in has been mis-sold to them by the makers (not necessarily the resellers).

Perhaps their ire should be vented at Angels eyes/Angels Glow etc and not the person that tried to warn the trusting and unsuspecting customers.

Users that want to abide by the law need only to phone the number in the following link and ask if it is legal to give products containing tylosin tartare to dogs or cats without a prescription

http://www.apvma.gov.au/about/contact/index.php

If you do and they tell you that it is legal then feel free to lambaste me.

Dazla

If you doubt my probity because of my nationality/residency, whatever that might be, then why would you believe my answer to your question?

It is obvious that I have upset a number of members here because I have told them that a product that they have faith in has been mis-sold to them by the makers (not necessarily the resellers).

Perhaps their ire should be vented at Angels eyes/Angels Glow etc and not the person that tried to warn the trusting and unsuspecting customers.

Users that want to abide by the law need only to phone the number in the following link and ask if it is legal to give products containing tylosin tartare to dogs or cats without a prescription

I perfectally understand my question.

If you are person living in another country it MAY be your rules but not in Australia. :)

1. It "could" be interpreted by your posts that you may have a real problem with the product. :) I don't.

2. It "could" be interrupted that you "may" work for a rival company. :)

3. It "could" also be interrupted that you may also be stirring up publicity for this product. :)

Until your position is declared I shall have no further communication with you.

I shall also continue to use this fantastic product.

Nothing that works as well as Angel Eyes.

As this product is available off the shelves of the pet stores and appears to be available in most countries so I shall be using it.

So you can rub angel eyes on the fur and it gets rid of the staining? I thought it needed to be ingested orally?? :confused:

Dazla

If you are person living in another country it MAY be your rules but not in Australia. :)

1. It "could" be interpreted by your posts that you may have a real problem with the product. :) I don't.

3. It "could" also be interrupted that you may also be stirring up publicity for this product. :)

Why does it matter who Dazla is? Is there anything to prove that Angel Eyes does contain tylosin tartrate? Is Angel's Glow being retailed in Australia?

If the products sold here do not contain tylosin tartrate then it doesn't matter whether that drug is legal or not.

Dazla, how do you know that products being imported under those labels do contain this drug?

If your interest is in warning unsuspecting customers, could this be done more effectively by simply reporting the product to the authorities yourself?

I will happily declare my position. Somebody that is against the abuse of antibiotics, with no conflict of interest.

Dazla

Why does it matter who Dazla is? Is there anything to prove that Angel Eyes does contain tylosin tartrate? Is Angel's Glow being retailed in Australia?

If the products sold here do not contain tylosin tartrate then it doesn't matter whether that drug is legal or not.

Dazla, how do you know that products being imported under those labels do contain this drug?

If your interest is in warning unsuspecting customers, could this be done more effectively by simply reporting the product to the authorities yourself?

I will happily declare my position. Somebody that is against the abuse of antibiotics, with no conflict of interest.

Hi Greymate

I am only assuming that the traditional Angels Eyes being sold in Australia does contain the tylosin tartrate that it claims, as per the labeling/promotional material. I cannot see why they would have taken the tylsoin out- the product would no longer work and would just be very expensive sweet potato and brown rice.

eg

http://www.angelseyesqld.com.au/services.aspx

Perhaps reporting the products might be a wiser option- I was hoping that by exposing the lies used to sell these tylosin based products that members would be dissuaded from buying them in the first place- after all even once they are pulled from the shelves there will always be owners willing to smuggle them in.

Unfortunately my experience of asking the FDA about the legal status of Angels Eyes a number of years ago resulted in them confirming that all of the tylosin based products are illegal (ie. not Approved), when i asked why they were still being openly sold I received no response. It seems that big wheels turn very slowly. The rumour mill says that one of the largest US retailers, PetsMart, was told to stop selling it, the other big retailer, PetsCo still sells it? It is banned in the EU yet it often gets past Customs when sent from the USA.

I find it difficult to follow the thought processes of certain members- I am criticising an antibiotic based product for being being potentially harmful to the wider community and I recommend that owners use the antibiotic free product sold by the same company. In the other tear stain thread I recommend many steps that one can take to reduce staining, none of which involve proprietary products. Somehow this is seen as evidence that I am in league with the devil or some such...

I was hoping that a vet or similar could confirm the legal implications of using an antibiotic that does not hold a Marketing Authority for dogs.

Ok, so I have taken flak from some fellow forum members who work on the assumption that anything openly available must by definition be legal to sell/purchase/use. Unfortunately that is not always the case. There are times when honest people are tricked by unscrupulous manufacturers into selling and using illegal products. Angels Eyes is an example of a product that may or may not be legal to manufacture but is definitely illegal to sell. As I said before- It is pretty much illegal throughout the whole world, eg the USA, Canada, the EU, NZ and Australia.

It took a bit of digging but here is a government document that lists tylosin, the active ingredient in Angels Eyes, as a schedule 4 poison/drug, ie a Prescription Only Medicine. The rules seem to apply to both Australia and New Zealand post harmonisation.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrument1.nsf/0/3BBB39C4645284BCCA2574A6001C711F/$file/PoisonsStandard2008.pdf

The document- dated 2008- and still current law- is rather lengthy but impressively comprehensive. It should serve as a warning to anyone using it or selling it.

The legal status of any product containing tylosin (regardless of the amount) is covered in the following excerpt from page 149-

TYLOSIN (is a shedule 4 drug) except:

(a) when included in Schedule 5;

(b) in animal feeds containing 50 mg/kg or less of antibiotic substances:

(i) for growth promotion;

(ii) for the prevention of liver abscesses in cattle; or

(iii) for the prevention of ileitis in pigs; or

© in milk replacers for calves, or starter rations for pigs, containing

100 mg/kg or less of antibiotic substances.

and from page 202

SCHEDULE 5

TYLOSIN in animal feed premixes containing 5 per cent or less of antibiotic substances:

(a) for growth promotion;

(b) for the prevention of liver abscesses in cattle; or

© for the prevention of ileitis in pigs.

So here we have definitive proof that Tylosin is a schedule 4 (ie Prescription only Medicine)

The following link explains that schedule 4 drugs are Prescription Only Medicines

see page viii

Alternatively see

http://www.guild.org.au/iwov-resources/documents/The_Guild/PDFs/News%20and%20Events/Publications/Fact%20Sheets/scheduling_system.pdf

So in short, any dog product containing any quantity of tylosin is a Prescription Only Medicine

Additionally the earlier pages of the document suggest (to me) that the labelling is non compliant and that it is possibly illegal to advertise it to the general public.

page 31

ADVERTISING

32. A person must not include any reference to a poison included in:

(a) Schedule 3 unless included in Appendix H; or

(b) Schedule 4 or Schedule 8,

of this Standard in any advertisement except in genuine professional or trade journals or

other publications intended for circulation only within the medical, nursing, veterinary,

dental or pharmaceutical professions or the wholesale drug industry.

A warning to anyone selling it-

from page 32

Schedule 4 poisons

38. A person, other than a medical, dental or veterinary practitioner in the ordinary course of

their professions or a pharmacist dispensing a legal prescription must not sell or supply a

Schedule 4 poison.

39. Paragraph 38 does not apply to a pharmacist who sells or supplies a Schedule 4 poison,

And

page 33

STORAGE

43. A person who sells or supplies Schedule 2 poisons must keep those poisons in such a way

that public access to advice from a pharmacist is available if required.

44. A person who sells or supplies Schedule 3, Schedule 4 or Schedule 7 poisons must keep

those poisons in a part of the premises to which the public does not have access.

other than a poison excepted by regulation from this provision, without a prescription if:

(1) the patient is under medical treatment with the poison and continuation of medication

is essential; and

(2) the quantity sold or supplied does not exceed 3 days medication; and

(3) the pharmacist is satisfied that an emergency exists.

40. Paragraphs 34, 36, 37 and 38 do not apply to sale by way of wholesale dealing to a

pharmacist, medical practitioner, veterinary practitioner, dentist or a person licensed or

otherwise authorised to possess, sell or supply such poisons.

So there we are- proof positive that it is illegal to sell or use any tylosin based dog or cat tear stain product, such as; Angels Eyes (not Angels Eyes Natural), Angels Glow, Pets Sparks et al.

Also be advised that tylosin tartrate does not hold a Marketing Authority for dog or cat use- this means that it has not officially be shown to be safe for prolonged dog or cat use. Do not assume that what you read on the sites selling these products even approximate to the truth.

Sorry DJU

Here are some pro-active steps you could take to reduce the incidence of staining:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/220444-tear-stains/page__view__findpost__p__5362724

As mentioned elsewhere you can use boric acid to kill the bacteria. There are a number of diy pastes you can make- I would recommend against any with hydrogen peroxide- look for the ones with boric acid and natural bleaching agents such as lemon juice or vinegar.

Sorry DJU

Here are some pro-active steps you could take to reduce the incidence of staining:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/220444-tear-stains/page__view__findpost__p__5362724

As mentioned elsewhere you can use boric acid to kill the bacteria. There are a number of diy pastes you can make- I would recommend against any with hydrogen peroxide- look for the ones with boric acid and natural bleaching agents such as lemon juice or vinegar.

Ooohhh, super helpful, thanks muchly! Hugo has red staining on the fur between his legs and antibiotics cleared it up for a while but we can't keep him on a diet of antibiotics so we were looking for other things we can do to get rid of the stainage.

Ooohhh, super helpful, thanks muchly! Hugo has red staining on the fur between his legs and antibiotics cleared it up for a while but we can't keep him on a diet of antibiotics so we were looking for other things we can do to get rid of the stainage.

If it is just the legs then it might be easier to stop him licking his legs- there are products that you spray on that taste yucky. In time he will realise that leg licking when bored has negative consequences. Be warned that the main problem with the sprays is that if you stroke the fur and forget to wash your hands you will tranfer the foul taste to your hands...

Hopefully you wont need to use the sprays for long. They wont do anything for the existing stains but they will hopefully prevent the staining in the first place.