Genetic Testing In Australia

Turkey Trip

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After being told three weeks ago that my test was being run with 180 other that WEEK and still no results, I"ve told ASAP to get stuffed and contacted another company.

I would normally go to the source for this test (VWD) but Vetgen won't accept swabs from here (not sure why, my money is as good as anyone elses!) At least if I used them, I would have had results back in a fortnight....am crossing fingers that my bitch doesn't come into season within the next month as her results are pivotal as to what male I"m going to use.

For Australian swabs to go to vetgen you have too go through http://members.optusnet.com.au/~gentest/services.html

I tried to do the same last year for a coat colour test. I had to order from above, they then send them onto Vetgen.

Thanks for the tip Sway, I found that site and wondered if it was still current and in operation as it appeared not have been updated in recent years.

All things considered, am going to go with Vetgen for vWD and US based OFA for DM. Due to Angelsun's ongoing experience it sounds like ASAP still need to get their act together and require time to do so. Good luck with your tests Aziah.

I've been corresponding with George at ASAP & have found him to be very helpful.

Experiences I had with 2 other Genetic Labs in Australia were not favourable - one did not repsond to a request to let us know what tests they had available for our breed because the information was (and still isn't) on their website.

http://www.animalnetwork.com.au/tests/index.php?breedid=61

"no results found"...

So, why would I bother using them?

Animal DNA could not provide us with the type of service I was looking for & referred me to the other lab that never responded....

Our swabs have arrived, plus extras.. will see how we go.

I recieved a massive letter of apology from George at ASAP, an offer of free testing etc, but as of yet, still no results....I will be using GT as I contacted them and got swabs three days later. A collegue of mine used them for her entire litter, and got results back in less than fourteen days.

• 2 weeks later...

With ASAP, I was originally told results would be 5-6 weeks. Upon questioning in the new year (tests submitted November 16th) I was told that there were 180 tests to be run when all was sorted out in the lab and that was the following week, and my test was in there. This was the first full week of January.

January 25th I was told that the test would be run, free of charge due to the delay. I was told no specific date but that each test can take 10 weeks to validate (for the first time) and that they are attempting to get 120 tests up and running. I was then told that the company had contacted people who perhaps had a deadline for testing to search another company as these tests would be not completed for 3-4 weeks.

Now it makes no sense to offer any service when you can't really provide it. Had they simply come forward and said that there could be a three month wait, fine....be honest...but all materials they send out in their glossy folder, do not give any indications of this and ONLY when questioned about the delay, was I told what was going on.

No, I will not be dealing with this company any further, regardless of their pricing and will be sending swabs off to another company shortly.

Will be interesting to hear how everyone goes with their chosen companies.

Can anyone who orders through any of the above companies please come back to the thread and update how they felt they went with price, time frames and service. Thanks. :provoke:

I have used GT in past and found them inconsistant first time results came back within a fortnight, next time 12 weeks (same test) when I made enquiries (and i feel I was rather pleasant about it all) I was treated by a rather rude and abrupt reception and techy. So not happy with GT Pets at all!

ASAP on the other hand was quite different George is very approachable and knowledgable - kits arrived promptly and results were recieved within 3 weeks. Like many breeders these day I have a working knowledge of genetics relevant to my breed and it was good to talk to someone with out show/breeding and other ego related agendas about relevevant issues regarding genetics and my breed. Personally my experience with ASAP was good.

I requested tests from GT and ASAP on the same day, received swabs from GT 2 days later, submitted and results back in 8 days. Still waiting for swabs to arrive from ASAP (which will now go straight in bin...).

Im with Angelsun, no point offering a cheaper service if they cant even give any service.

Must agree, it appears ASAP are not ready for customers yet.

After discussions here I decided to give them just one try so ordered swabs on line a couple of weeks ago. Swabs still haven't arrived and sure as hell I will not be ordering any tests from them.

Well still nothing from ASAP and now my bitch is in season, so I won't be able to breed her as I don't have the test results I needed to do it. Thanks ASAP for putting my breeding program back at LEAST six months due to misrepresentation and lack of results :thumbsup:

Well still nothing from ASAP and now my bitch is in season, so I won't be able to breed her as I don't have the test results I needed to do it. Thanks ASAP for putting my breeding program back at LEAST six months due to misrepresentation and lack of results :thumbsup:

I'm sure you could her tested via GT Pets and get the results back in time for mating.

Well still nothing from ASAP and now my bitch is in season, so I won't be able to breed her as I don't have the test results I needed to do it. Thanks ASAP for putting my breeding program back at LEAST six months due to misrepresentation and lack of results :rofl:

Oh that sucks!

• 1 month later...