Genetic Testing In Australia

Turkey Trip

What exactly is the situation with genetic testing for canines in Australia? Do breeders have a choice of service providers?

I see on the Optigen website that they refer Australian breeders to a company with whom they obviously have an agreement, however are there any others? - THUS providing breeders with a choice of whom they will use to test their dogs? Do Vetgen also offer canine DNA testing services in Australia?

I found an old website which appears to have not been updated since 2007, it seems to offer DNA testing from Vetgen but provides no real detail of where the testing is actually performed or by whom.

I have had dogs DNA tested previously by an Australian based company and with that experience in mind and with the need to have some more "done", would like the option to shop around. :D

Thanks for advice anyone can offer.

Edited by Turkey Trip

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, ASAP is going to great pains to ensure they are fulfilling all the requirements the ANKC is asking for. I was very particular about this when I was investigating. The price is definitely excellent. Worth getting in touch with them (and if a test you need is not listed ask them about it - there are some they can't do I think due to licencing requirements, but they dont really list all the available tests for each breed under the breeds list, for example.

I had warm fuzzy feelings when I first began communicating with ASAP however I'm losing patience and can't recommend them at this point in time.

I requested swabs for two separate dogs to do a total of four tests (two per dog) I received one set of swabs (with the bar code stickers) So went ahead and sent off the swabs for the one dog, with another request for another test kit. This was back mid November.

My check is not cashed, I have not received the second test kit, and two emails later asking where my results are, as they are needed to determine breeding plans which are due to happen within a month or so, I"m told a test kit is on the way, and my tests were being run......this was almost two full weeks ago, and I have received neither a test kit, nor the results of my dogs test. My check as of this date still hasn't been processed yet, so it's doubtful I"ll receive any kits or results for some time.

I will probably have to find another company to deal with which is a shame as they do have good prices, but the best prices in the world with 3 month waiting times for results (maybe) just isn't worth it.

Gentec have always been fantastic with all our testing - always results back within 7 to 14 days - always available - always efficient. Order and pay for tests online and you will get discounts which makes it price wise a bit better. I would rather pay a little more and have the results without fuss than try and save money and not get any.

We had a possible dual sire litter our second last litter - one sire being in Qld and to get his dna sample to Vic and batched with our dam/other sire and puppies was no issue at all - full results dna profile, parentage and vWD back to us within 10 days of his sample being taken. Very happy with them to date.

Also you need to make sure that the other companies are certified - ie the results will be accepted by the ANKC as certified in order to register puppies or breed or whatever your breed health requirements are.

Gentec have always been fantastic with all our testing - always results back within 7 to 14 days - always available - always efficient. Order and pay for tests online and you will get discounts which makes it price wise a bit better. I would rather pay a little more and have the results without fuss than try and save money and not get any.

Wow, that was not my experience at all, it was similar to what Angelsun described for ASAP and I know most definitely that my experience was far from unique. Am not happy to risk more of the same and the inconsistencies in communication do not foster confidence in their testing either. If a company can't manage its office or communication and follow-through of arrangements with clients, how good can their service in more technical areas be? It just doesn't inspire confidence. :laugh:

I will keep looking and find somewhere to have testing done o/seas instead of in Australia. Haven't had a reply from ASAP as yet.

Thank you for all your replies.

Edited to add: My bad experiences were quite a while ago and things may have improved since that time.. ? Testing is non-urgent so have been putting off having it done as long as possible due to all the former hassle.

Edited by Turkey Trip

This looks good and they've been around for a while: http://www.vetdnacenter.com/

Plus they are reasonably priced and currently have a "special" running. :)

Have zipped off an inquiry. :)

Edited to add: Have received a reply already - "Thank you for your email and interest in our DNA testing services.

Yes, we have many clients in Australia and worldwide. It is very easy to ship samples using cheek swabs and following these sample collection instructions...

http://www.vetdnacenter.com/files/Canine%2...0Collection.pdf

Edited by Turkey Trip

I don't kow what tests you are after, but I have used both Optigen in the USA and Genomia in Czech http://www.genomia.cz/ both were well priced for what I wanted and there turn around and email reporting were fantastic.

I have asked ASAP for swabs as recently as Monday so I am now waiting to see what happens.

Cheers Kate

Thanks for your reply Kate, Optigen was my first choice but it appears they now refer all Australian clients to an Australian based company with which they have an agreement.. been there, done that. No thanks. :thumbsup:

Edited by Turkey Trip

What exactly is the situation with genetic testing for canines in Australia? Do breeders have a choice of service providers?

Some DNA test rights are owned by a lab, for example Optigen owns the rights to do the CEA test. They do make agreements with other labs (I think it is GST in Australia). So you cannot shop around as no one else can offer the test. However you can deal direct with Optigen and bypass GTS I think.

Uni of Syndey has at least one test they are refuseing to publish and they are the only place you can buy the test.

If this becomes a trend world wide, and all Uni's refuse to publish for peer review and open their own DNA testing labs for the tests they develop, the effect of this will cause all sorts of problems for the dog breeders.

The one test we have for Keeshonds is owned by a lab in the US and they will NOT make agreements with other labs. We MUST send it over to them. A big fat pain in the proverbial!

Edited by Rysup

I have had recent contact with ASAP (via email) and so far so good, my swabs have arrived and my questions were answered within an acceptable time frame, I'll keep you posted.

Edited by Aziah

After being told three weeks ago that my test was being run with 180 other that WEEK and still no results, I"ve told ASAP to get stuffed and contacted another company.

I would normally go to the source for this test (VWD) but Vetgen won't accept swabs from here (not sure why, my money is as good as anyone elses!) At least if I used them, I would have had results back in a fortnight....am crossing fingers that my bitch doesn't come into season within the next month as her results are pivotal as to what male I"m going to use.