Severe Reaction To Vaccine

crispy

I am so very sorry. What an awful thing to happen. A similar thing just happened to my friend's 7 year old dog, who just made it through. My heart goes out to you.

I find it truly amazing - really amazing - that so many vets are still giving annual vaccine shots when the guidelines for several years now have been to not to that due to the known health risks and lack of immunological benefit. The official vet guidelines are to do triannual - a happy medium. It's so hard, though, to find a vet who abides by this and does not just ignorantly jab our pets so unnecessarily.

BUT - and that is a HUGE BUT - it is your VET's responsibility to know this, not yours!!!!! We should be able to trust our vets, our doctors, but alas their training on vaccination is often from the profit-motivated manufacturers themselves. A crazy situation. Or, like my local vet, they do it for the income; the vet nurse told me that her boss does it only for fear of reduced income :thumbsup:.

Another 'but' is that your pooch was 13 - quite a vulnerable age where the ice gets very thin. If it wan't that it may well have been the very next minor thing to affect her little old bod - a tummy upset, the sniffles, an injury. It was perhaps her time, too. I know that's little comfort right now. There's no 'right' time ever for these things!!! I am so very sorry. Please don't blame yourself. It sounds like you have been a very caring and thoughtful doggy parent.

I am so very sorry. What an awful thing to happen. A similar thing just happened to my friend's 7 year old dog, who just made it through. My heart goes out to you.

I find it truly amazing - really amazing - that so many vets are still giving annual vaccine shots when the guidelines for several years now have been to not to that due to the known health risks and lack of immunological benefit. The official vet guidelines are to do triannual - a happy medium. It's so hard, though, to find a vet who abides by this and does not just ignorantly jab our pets so unnecessarily.

BUT - and that is a HUGE BUT - it is your VET's responsibility to know this, not yours!!!!! We should be able to trust our vets, our doctors, but alas their training on vaccination is often from the profit-motivated manufacturers themselves. A crazy situation. Or, like my local vet, they do it for the income; the vet nurse told me that her boss does it only for fear of reduced income :thumbsup:.

Another 'but' is that your pooch was 13 - quite a vulnerable age where the ice gets very thin. If it wan't that it may well have been the very next minor thing to affect her little old bod - a tummy upset, the sniffles, an injury. It was perhaps her time, too. I know that's little comfort right now. There's no 'right' time ever for these things!!! I am so very sorry. Please don't blame yourself. It sounds like you have been a very caring and thoughtful doggy parent.

Thanks Ultimate Pup. I'm glad your friend's dog made it through. We all work for the money, but it is so totally wrong for vets not to disclose possible complications, so that doggy owners can make an informed decision. I'm sure our vet is no different to all the others, considering I dropped in and reported Smudge's side effects and her night spent at another vets surgery to the receptionist. Our vet has not responded, no concern, no compassion. I guess it's all about liability.

What a sad, sad state of affairs. I just wanted the vet to show they cared.

It's true it is never a good time to go and it was perhaps her time. Sadly her passing away coincided with the vaccination.

Please doggy owners, just be aware that there are risks involved with vaccination.

We all love our little pals.

:laugh::thumbsup:

:D RIP beautiful girl, you were much loved.

Dont beat your self up Crispy, we all try to to the best we can for our pals and somethings do involve risks that we cant allways know about.

Thank you BCPuppy. What a beautiful photo. :laugh: BC'S are always puppies at heart. :laugh: :rolleyes:

So sorry to hear about your lovely Smudge. What was the vaccine for...not heartworm by any chance :laugh: Some collies have adverse reactions to the heartworm injection.

Hi Sheena, not heartworm as I was told not required.Just the usual , distemper, hepititis, paranfluenza, bordetella. She also had a glucosamine shot.

Your BC is gorgeous. Thank you for sharing your photo.

:laugh: R.I.P. Smudge.

:thumbsup: to you Crispy.

Bully I appreciate the hug. I sure need something to get me thru. I can still feel smudge mulling around my feet. I guess that's a good thing. I know she is gone but I can still feel her presence. Weird I know, but I guess after 13 years, that's normal.

:o

So sorry about the loss of Smudge.

It is very easy to look back in hindsight, but please do not beat yourself up. You were trying to do the best thing by your girl and she would have known that and she would have known she was loved and cherished by you.

We can be very very hard on ourselves with the what if's and guilt but you were doing what you believed was the ebst thing for your girl.

RIP Smudge running free at the Rainbow Bridge young and agile once more, age will no longer weary your bones. Waiting until re-united with your loving mum.