Ankc Obedience Rules

Echo

Ankc Obedience Rules  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Should this rule be ammended?

• Yes
    • No

I didn't vote because I am not going to trial in obedience here in Australia. I just don't understand the whole problem here. In Finland you are allowed to use any language you want (Swedish is other official language). Many people compete in our neighbour countries as well and there is also European championship competitions etc. I haven't ever heard language would have been an issue even you can hear multiple languages in one competition. Rules are same about commands, have to be only one word.

I voted, since who knows, I may easily end up in Aussie one day! :) But perhaps I shouldn't have.

NZ sounds the same as Finland. One command, which can be either verbal or hand signal (or both together at the lower levels is OK for some exercises, I think). I've never noticed any problems with it, but then again, I've never judged Ob or WT, so perhaps I'm just oblivious to the issues. Drawn out or double commands are penalised, no matter what language they are in, & drawn out or double signals are penalised too.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst English (in all it's many dialects, accents etc) may be the National and business language in Australia we are a nation of very many peoples and quite often in the home people speak in the language they are most comfortable with, this naturally includes speaking with the dog.

I think in most languages it would be fairly evident if someone was using one word or two, or simply repeating the same word, although as far I am concerned I never could see the point of banning the use of 2 words over one anyway, just as long as the command was only given the once and the dog did it.!

Annie

If people don't like the rules as written there is an opportunity to submit your proposed changes in writing when the revisions come up every 5 years. This is well advertised on the lists and through the individual states canine. The most recent revision was last year and ratified by the ANKC with the changes effective January 2011 http://www.ankc.org.au/Rules.aspx

If people don't like the rules as written there is an opportunity to submit your proposed changes in writing when the revisions come up every 5 years. This is well advertised on the lists and through the individual states canine. The most recent revision was last year and ratified by the ANKC with the changes effective January 2011 http://www.ankc.org.au/Rules.aspx

I assume that the people wanting different languages are prepared to become judges

here are a few for them to learn to get them going

http://www.talkingtails.com/command.html :dancingelephant:

feel sorry for Ukraine and note that Canada is a dual speaking country, many Canadians do speak French, many Canadians send their Children to French schools even though English is their first language. All packages, messages are written in both languages. It actually would be impossible not to learn some French in Canada, we only lived there a couple of years and my schoolgirl French improved a lot.

The language of dog obedience in Australia is English.

I assume that the people wanting different languages are prepared to become judges

here are a few for them to learn to get them going

http://www.talkingtails.com/command.html :mad

feel sorry for Ukraine and note that Canada is a dual speaking country, many Canadians do speak French, many Canadians send their Children to French schools even though English is their first language. All packages, messages are written in both languages. It actually would be impossible not to learn some French in Canada, we only lived there a couple of years and my schoolgirl French improved a lot.

The language of dog obedience in Australia is English.

Why the sarcasm? All I've seen in this thread are people offering constructive suggestions as to how they feel their sport can be improved. Why mock people for doing that?

As far as I'm aware, you don't need to be prepared to become a judge in order to discuss or submit rule changes. Also no one, as far as I've seen, has suggested that judges learn any more languages whatsoever.

Edited by Staranais