Swimming A Bitch In Season

Hunterhound

Hi

My young girl is in season and is normally allowed to swim daily in our salt water chlorinated pool. I have phoned my vet but he is currently on holidays, so I thought I would throw the question out to all on DOL.

This girl is my Swedish import so I am needing to be very careful and obviously don't want to risk pyometra! I have received mixed opinions from other breeders I have spoken to. Thanks for any input :thumbsup:

No. Pyo is triggered by issues such as hormones not specifically by the presence of bacteria, the bacteria is there all the time but something has to go wrong with the whole system for the bitch to not be able to keep it under control. I doubt if the species would have survived if swimming increased the risk of a life threatening problem :thumbsup:

Thanks for your replies......I was more of the opinion that it would do no harm but was interested on other peoples point of view or experiences! She loves her daily swim so I didn't want to take that from her especially seeing she is restricted to one of the smaller yards for a few weeks.:thumbsup:

No. Pyo is triggered by issues such as hormones not specifically by the presence of bacteria, the bacteria is there all the time but something has to go wrong with the whole system for the bitch to not be able to keep it under control. I doubt if the species would have survived if swimming increased the risk of a life threatening problem :D

+1 :thumbsup:

I don't think it will have any effect on Pyo, although I think that swimming in dams/ rivers that are public and have a lot of stagnant water will pose a risk.

I say this because I didn't think about it at all when my bitch was 2wks pregnant. A few days later we had a myriad of bacterial infections and health risks that lasted throughout the pregnancy (we ended up with a few aborted pups too). May be releated... maybe not... but next time I have a pregnant/ in season bitch, they are not swimming :hug:.

I think since your girl is swimming in a treated pool that may be different :rofl:

Edited by leopuppy04