8 Wk Old Pup Skin Reaction To Something?

BMAK

My two foster pups have a seporate area to the main yard and pool area all for safety but noticed on the smaller pup on her coat bumps all over her reminds me of hives in way.

My immediate thought was either food allergy or contact allergy but after talking to a few "dog people" we have narrowed it down to possible a bite and a reaction from it.

I have noticed a few spiders around ?

and being a typical pup i wonder if this reaction on this one puppy would be from it.

they will be going to the vets next week and rescue do not need another vet bill unless it is serious and so far it isn't :thumbsup: fingers crossed.

I bathed her in quitich and then aloveen the next day hoping it might settle her skin it has gone down but i am still able to feel it when i pinch the skin and run my finger down it.

There is no swelling all over or in any particualr area, or rash, just very small lumps spead out under her coat and a few small pus looking bites nothing horrible on her belly.

Over a few days it has gotten more noticeable to the eye, she is happy to eat and drink no more then normal.

is there something like an anti-inflamitory to give to puppies that may settle it down if so what type of dose would i be looking at, like when you would get a reaction to something.

the reason i don't think it is food is because the other pup has had 0 bumps,irritation or swelling or discomfort anywhere.

any suggestions or thoughts??

any help appriciated

*edited for some spelling

Edited by catherine.b

Our other dog now deceased had a hive reaction to a bullant bite.

We had to get him to vet ASAP as it was a severe reaction. Another Subsequent bite a few years later the vet said anti-histamine ASAP.

If it has settled and happt maybe just take time to completely disappear, or can you ring someone(rescue vet?) to see if you can give the pup a mild anti-histamine in the recommended dose?

could it be an allergy to kikuyu? It is quite surprising the number of dogs who are sensitive to this grass. My girl is. She is fine on cooch, but not on kikuyu.

How old is the puppy? If it is very young, you wouldn't necessarily want to be giving it stuff.

Having said that - my vet prescribed phenergan for my girl (as the prednisone (sp)isn't good long term). Dosage was 1mg per 1kg of dog weight. She gets half a 10mg tablet, only when required. Doesn't get rid of the allergy, but provides a small amount of relief when things get very bad.

this area is paved, it has a small garden and i thought maybe some pant could have given a bad reactin to her but the other pup is fine.. green ants is the only thing i can think of that could give a bad reaction or a spider..

"sallyntex" sounds similar.. thanks for your imput an anti-histamine does sound like an appropriate thing to do if it gets worse. i just don't want to have to give the pup something/chemical if it doesn't need it.

11Jun10005-1.jpg

This is what my dog looked like when he was bitten - no idea what but I suspect a spider. The shot is looking down the underside of his head - the black area in the bottom centre is his jowl.

Given the pup's age, vet is the best option.

Edited by Danois

wholey hell poor dog,

not even close to that !

No home medicating here not with pups, thought there might be a oitment or something natural that might settle it down, it seems that it is gowing down just need to keep my careful eye on her.